franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

7 hours ago, Jmart said:

It had to have been because of the merger. Otherwise, this is just a dumb move on Disney’s part. If they had just sat and done nothing for a week it would’ve all blown over and the Twitter mob would’ve moved on and ruin someone else. And some of these tweets were from nine years ago? Are we supposed to pretend that Disney didn’t know about them and are suddenly offended? They didn’t care about awful jokes nine years ago and they shouldn’t have cared now.

On the other hand, as has been suggested, I wouldn’t mind Taika taking over. He seems to have the right sensibility for it. If that happens, they might slightly upgrade.

Disney doesn't care Gunn made these jokes. They are mad they surfaced. Pretty stupid of them to not have him delete them before they hired him though.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

People are more upset by someone like Cernovich's clearly political involvement that is in no way invested in any sense of morality being the cause, than actually saying the tweets are ok (or even Disney firing him over the tweets.) It really is circumstance, that isn't helped that the issue was already addressed by Gunn several years ago.

I was just replying to why gunn and not others part of it. As for Cernovich, you can't even hope for conservatives to go against a paedophile senator, let alone a guy on a podcast.

16 minutes ago, Premium George said:

It's a simple answer. Disney is a multi billion dollars corporation, that take decision based on money and not morality. They are currently going through biggest deal ever and are very cautious.

Disney is pandering to the right and Trump supporters so they can get the deal to go through. That’s it. It has nothing to do with their image or how their image looks like in regards to the deal. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Disney is pandering to the right and Trump supporters so they can get the deal to go through. That’s it. It has nothing to do with their image or how their image looks like in regards to the deal. 

Yes, again for the money. I think my reply covers that. Pandering by companies is done for business.

10 minutes ago, Nova said:

Disney is pandering to the right and Trump supporters so they can get the deal to go through.

Trump's government is doing whatever it can to make the deal happen regardless, to make the Murdoch family richer and more powerful. If anything, this is Disney pandering to the Trump crowd for "balance".

8 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Taken from a random post on AW :

It's weird cause if you look at any stand up comedians output from 10-15 years ago, so much of their content would be considered absolutely unacceptable right now. Did anyone see the uproar about that Netflix TV show about the fat girl who takes revenge on her bullies? 10 years ago that would've been like an NBC primetime comedy pilot and would've flown under the radar. It's definitely a very fast changing environment about what's acceptable vs. not anymore.

PROGRESS ?

No progress. We are living in a world where people get offended by anything. James Gunn made a pedo joke, who cares. Personally I think Disney just saw this as an opportunity to fire the guy so they can hire someone else to do the same job for a fraction of the price. 

If James Gunn deserves to be fired for anything it's for being too stupid to delete his tweets. Surely he knew this was coming 😂

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

Trump's government is doing whatever it can to make the deal happen regardless, to make the Murdoch family richer and more powerful. If anything, this is Disney pandering to the Trump crowd for "balance".

I don't think so.  Disney wanted to cut ties with a guy that made hundreds(some are saying thousands) of rape/pedo jokes.  Is it really that hard to believe?  Other people have been sacked at the drop of a hat for less.  Don't think that deal has much to do with it at all.

Edited by Ozymandias

39 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Apparently James Gunn made over  10,000 posts regarding pedophilia. That ls messed up. If he’s not a pedophile  he’s definitely mentally ill 

It wasn’t 10,000 posts. He deleted 10,000 posts that were potentially offensive, but not all of them were jokes about pedophilia.

18 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

It wasn’t 10,000 posts. He deleted 10,000 posts that were potentially offensive, but not all of them were jokes about pedophilia.

Well, we don't know for sure. 10.000 posts are a ton of things that could be even worse than what he wrote...

We'll never know. I wouldn't take it for granted. 

That being said, I wonder how long did he take to delete over 10.000 tweets. 

6 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

"We can't even crack lame pedophilia rape jokes publicly anymore without outrage!" is really the hill people wants to die on in 2018?

anigif_sub-buzz-25972-1479741401-2.gif?d

Certainly begs the question if a show like Its always sunny should be yanked off the air though (iirc it will be under Disney soon). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

I don't think so.  Disney wanted to cut ties with a guy that made hundreds(some are saying thousands) of rape/pedo jokes.  Is it really that hard to believe?  Other people have been sacked at the drop of a hat for less.  Don't think that deal has much to do with it at all.

When they’ve employed a convicted pedophile in the past and currently employ a domestic abuser, yes it is hard to believe. Especially since it’s been stated numerous times, that they knew about these tweets when they hired him. If they were that concerned he wouldn’t have gotten hired to begin with. 

13 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Well, we don't know for sure. 10.000 posts are a ton of things that could be even worse than what he wrote...

Some of the tweets he got in trouble for were jokes about things like 9/11. 

1 hour ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Probably like 30 seconds. When you're deleting 10,000 posts you aren't reading them, you're just deleting in bulk