Dementeleus

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

Just now, TelemAAchos said:

I believe that Superman (the character) is trademarked.

yea but I heard somewhere that he will be joining the public domain due to some rights related issue. Can't remember.

Just now, Fullbuster said:

You mean they're complete hypocrites?

How does that make them hypocrites?

1 minute ago, DMan7 said:

Speaking of public domain, isn't Superman supposed to be joining the public domain as well due to rights issue or something of that nature.

No, the aforementioned law pushed theirs back as well

Really? I'm not an expert of public domain but technically that doesn't mean that people could sell comics with Mickey or something like that? A bit like fairy tales : everybody can make movies or TV shows or cartoons about them.

As long as Disney has the trademarks, no one legally use Mickey's image without licensing it from Disney. 

To use another example, The Wizard of Oz books are in the public domain but anything related to the 1939 film like the ruby slippers and Dorothy's dress can't be used because they're trademarked to Warner Bros through Turner Entertainment unless they license it. It'll be the same with Tom and Jerry and the Looney Tunes, 

• Like 2

This is what I got on that Superman joining the public domain thing.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/42391/superheroes-becoming-public-domain-superman-in-2033-batman-soon-after

Someone there said that after 100 years since the characters origin, he will join the public domain in 2033 since he was created in 1933. Don't know how that works or if its true at all.

Edited by DMan7

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

"SAVE...PEACH..."

"WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?"

It'd be an Illumination/DC co production with Goombas speaking minionese.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

Guessing if BATB pulls a $200M+ OW by some miracle, what'll GOTGV2 and F8 make on OW.

Not 200 million.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

This is what I got on that Superman joining the public domain thing.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/42391/superheroes-becoming-public-domain-superman-in-2033-batman-soon-after

Someone there said that after 100 years since the characters origin, he will join the public domain in 2033 since he was created in 1933. Don't know how that works or if its true at all.

@4815162342 

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Aren't LOTR and Titanic already remake ?, I doubt we will have a Matrix remake soon, they will probably do prequels, like Disney did with Rogue One.

I think Titanic is a remake of an old black and white film that nobody today has seen.  LOTR was never made before Jackson, but I think there was a cartoon movie of The Hobbit back in the day.

You mean they're complete hypocrites?

Yes.

Just now, MrMarosa said:

What is the Disney thing with copyright? (I am seriously asking).

The intent of copyright law was to allow a creator to profit from his/her creation -- thus giving them the opportunity to actually have a career as an artist. A balance was struck between giving them lengthy rights to their works (long enough to allow them to profit significantly, not long enough to let them stop creating entirely) while still allowing for works to enter public domain -- because so much art has been created by remixing/recreating/adapting/changing older works.

With the corporatization of artists (essentially from the second half of the 20th century), that's changed dramatically.

Disney (not them exclusively, but they're at the forefront) have fought tooth-and-nail to constantly change and extend copyright law to grant themselves almost limitless and exclusive power over their stories. At this point, the length of time is death of original creator + 75 years -- already ridiculously extended past the original concept.

Yet at the same time, Disney has essentially built their entire company (not entirely, but in large part) through adapting and changing public domain works. However, they then immediately use all their legal and cultural clout to block anyone else from doing the same thing. Original copyright law was designed to help everyone as well as enrich a society culturally. Now, the only thing getting enriched is Disney -- and they aggressively block anyone else from trying to do the same thing.

• Like 9

Just now, baumer said:

Not 200 million.

One of our finest fallacies we fall into after a breakout. If movie X opened to this amount then surely movie Y can do that and then some.

• Like 5

Just now, EmpireCity said:

Boss Baby is going to be a hit.  Huge reactions from kids at the poster and trailer.  

1.) Thank you for blessing me with your presence and response, and is there a chance for $125M+ for BB.

2.) Any numbers?