FlashMaster659

WEEKEND THREAD | Official Weekend Estimates: Beauty and the Beast - 88.3M; Power Rangers - 40.5M; Life - 12.6M; Other Numbers First Post. Gokira has been threadbanned.

Just now, filmlover said:

Just saw that The Zookeeper's Wife is only getting 450 theaters next weekend. Seems obvious Focus is dumping it at this point.

Maybe the Holocaust movie is on fumes. How many stories are there to tell? I realize u can say the same thing about Life but with Holocaust movie, theres only so much you can do. 

Nazis bad

Heroes hide Jews

War bad

Horrible images of senseless killing

Hero defies the odds and saves lives

Rinse repeat

3 hours ago, MrPink said:

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a low to mid 20s weekend considering the kind of push it got. 

I know Gyllenhaal is not some giant star, but we have to consider that he also typically avoids general audience films so his box office takes generally reflect that. The marketing campaign was damn derivative, but damn, Sony sure seemed to blanket my tv with commercials

Some week it was the most advertised movie in the US:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/life-tops-studios-tv-ad-spending-1202002777/

But for original movie without giant star you do not have much of a choice, you start with 0 awareness.

It still ended up with a very reasonable tv spending a week before it's release

Est. Lifetime TV Spend: $22.50M

With the good reviews for the horror genre, the cast, low to mid 20s could have been achieved, but it is really hard to reach $20M without a clean pure genre (like R rated comedy, horror) or a proven commercial high concept or a $40M Tv ads run, that why Denzel being able to do it constantly make him arguably the biggest modern domestic draw, low 20's, that what Tom Cruise do in a franchise movie sequel now.

Like said above, what make Life first weekend a bit hard is having it not really sold has an horror movie.
Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

350K for Chips according to Deadline.... seems fine given the less than 10m expectations going into the weekend.

PR and Life did well. PR - much better than I had expected (around 2M) so it should be looking at a minimum over 40m with an upside to 50m if it can keep from being too frontloaded today.

Life is Life - not sure how anyone could have expected more about 15m is where it is aiming for with that preview.

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

Maybe the Holocaust movie is on fumes. How many stories are there to tell? I realize u can say the same thing about Life but with Holocaust movie, theres only so much you can do. 

Nazis bad

Heroes hide Jews

War bad

Horrible images of senseless killing

Hero defies the odds and saves lives

Rinse repeat

I'm sure it's mostly because it's looking to get really mediocre reviews (and those are a death sentence for a movie like this).

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

I'm sure it's mostly because it's looking to get really mediocre reviews (and those are a death sentence for a movie like this).

Or people just don't have an interest anymore in the holocaust movie. After The Pianist came out has there been one was released Holocaust film or a holocaust film that has done any kind of business?

32 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills or riot

That one is owned by DiC, Saban's brief rival in the adapted-live-action-Japanese-superhero genre. So Saban has Power Rangers, VR Troopers, Masked Rider, Beetleborgs, and Mystic Knights of Tir-Na-Nog. Meanwhile, DiC has Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad and Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills. And then you have two standalone stragglers in Ultraman: The Ultimate Hero and Kamen Rider Dragon Knight.

Edited by johnboy3434

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Or people just don't have an interest anymore in the holocaust movie. After The Pianist came out has there been one was released Holocaust film or a holocaust film that has done any kind of business?

The Reader is the only one since then that I can recall grossing more than 30M

however the genre has never been a big box office hit - Schindler's List aside even the Pianist made a rather low 32m in 2003.

• Like 1

Part of the reason Holocaust movies are kinda lame is that outside the Pianist they're usually from the perspective of non-Jews instead of the people actually suffering. It'd be like making a slavery movie from the perspective of everyone beside slaves. Wait, that's exactly what Hollywood did until 2013? There we go. 

• Like 4

Continuing on the Topic of Holocaust films - I know it seems like we have a ton of them but in actuality the US produces very few films in that particular genre - an actual US Company hasn't produces a Holocaust film since 2008 (depending on what you include) even the film from last year Denial which is about a famous trial for the man who popularized that it didn't happen, was a British film.

They are mainly small independent films from Foreign Countries such as past winners of the Foreign Language Oscar Ida or Son of Saul.

However, TV is a vastly different landscape and there are lot of those.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, narniadis said:

350K for Chips according to Deadline.... seems fine given the less than 10m expectations going into the weekend.

For comparison's sake, Fist Fight made 600K in Thursday previews before ending up with 12M over the 3-day.