FlashMaster659

WEEKEND THREAD | Official Weekend Estimates: Beauty and the Beast - 88.3M; Power Rangers - 40.5M; Life - 12.6M; Other Numbers First Post. Gokira has been threadbanned.

29 minutes ago, DAR said:

Yep concepts and characters sell most movies these days

I see this difference whenever I discuss new movies with my grandfather. His first question after I describe the film is almost always "Who's in it?". And my silent reaction is usually "What does that have to do with anything?".

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

Good example for that is RDJ. Not really a draw on his own (as The Judge showed) but as Iron Man and to a lesser extent Sherlock Holmes he's a huge draw.

I think RDJ is a bit of a misleading example.

The judge did 84 million at the box office (with a nice 47 million dom), for a drama called the judge with a 47% rotten tomatoes score, it is much more than if they were unknown actor, but it will be hard to do a direct comparison, drama with bad reviews with unknown actor would probably not achieved to open on 3,003 theater to start with.

I think he became a draw on is own, that Kiss kiss bang bang would have made more after Iron Man than what it did before, but then again how much would it have been because it would achieved to get a wide release and because of RDJ clout would have been hard to distinguish, both phenomenom being hard to separate.

Also, not being a universal draw (like Denzel, Leo that can open any type of movie in any role) does not mean your are not really a draw on your own. Will Ferrell and Dwayne Johnson will not have opened the judge at $13 million like RDJ achieved to do, he is without a doubt a really big draw on is own in a original Ferrell type comedy and Johnson is arguably the biggest draw on is own in a family action/comedy type of movie.

I think that now there is a lot more information about a movie that can participate to is selling, when you were choosing a movie by looking at their poster on the newpapers or the dvd covers, the face of the person on it was a much bigger percentage of that movie information..

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

In their weekend preview BOM projected BATB will do 76m 2nd weekend. Surprisingly low.

For that to happen the Friday number would have to be 20-22 or an 80-100% jump from Thursday (11) which seems low.

130% jump will give it 25+ Friday and 90+ weekend which seems a safe bet. Would be surprised if it went below 85.

Edited by a2knet

Deadline's 3PM update will look something like this: 

Newcomers are no match for the beast. Early shows have Beauty and the Beast looking at a $22M Friday and a $80M weekend. Lionsgate's Power Rangers is powering up a $17M Friday including the $3.6M from previews which would put it on track for a $35-40M weekend. The R-rated newcomers aren't having much luck at the box office this weekend. Sony's Life is looking at a $5M Friday with previews and a lifeless $12M three-day weekend. Warner Bros CHiPS is looking to chip in an additional $3.5M this Friday and a three day cume of a $10M. 

*The numbers above make absolutely no sense which is usually the case. So Deadline if you're hiring, I'm available for this summer movie season!

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Nova said:

Deadline's 3PM update will look something like this: 

Newcomers are no match for the beast. Early shows have Beauty and the Beast looking at a $22M Friday and a $80M weekend. Lionsgate's Power Rangers is powering up a $17M Friday including the $3.6M from previews which would put it on track for a $35-40M weekend. The R-rated newcomers aren't having much luck at the box office this weekend. Sony's Life is looking at a $5M Friday with previews and a lifeless $12M three-day weekend. Warner Bros CHiPS is looking to chip in an additional $3.5M this Friday and a three day cume of a $10M. 

*The numbers above make absolutely no sense which is usually the case. So Deadline if you're hiring, I'm available for this summer movie season!

Deadline was pretty much on spot with their B&B numbers last week. 

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Life was SO FUCKING GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!...... and then the ending happened. 

This ending has me intrigued now. I have heard so many people hate it but then so many people love it. Interesting. 

4 minutes ago, Alli said:

Just got back from LIFE. Loved it!

Shit numbers from previews tho :puke:

Yea our $20M weekend isn't happening anymore :( 

But I'm glad you liked it! 

• Like 1

Trailers before my movies:

PR:

The Nut Job (I laugh my ass off every. single. time. How the fuck did this get made?)

Valerian

Transformers (The first trailer)

Despicable M3

Spider-Man

Captain Underpants

Wonder Woman

Life:

Wish Upon (This looks BAAAAAAAAAAAAD)

All Eyez on Me

Baywatch (Redband)

The Mummy

DUNKIRK

Snatched (Redband)

Baby Driver

Rough Night (Redband)

Some old lady in my row was disgusted by the comedy trailers :rofl: 

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Kevin Hart can open a stand up show in theater, with him alone, there is a lot of name actor with box office clout in the right movie.

Yep, basically, some actors are better at picking the right movies, hence boxoffice consistency. 

Just now, Nova said:

This ending has me intrigued now. I have heard so many people hate it but then so many people love it. Interesting. 

The ending is good, but i figured out that was gonna happen. it is not mindblowing. keep the expectations in check

• Like 1