FlashMaster659

WEEKEND THREAD | Official Weekend Estimates: Beauty and the Beast - 88.3M; Power Rangers - 40.5M; Life - 12.6M; Other Numbers First Post. Gokira has been threadbanned.

I am glad users on my ignore list continue to get quoted.... always love the juvenile association between their opinions and what everyone else should think - too bad we can't have personal preference anymore gotta all like the same thing....

*goes back to the old man hut and drinks more tea*

:ph34r:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Yes exactly that - it has been Lionsgate mode of operation for a long time. Mitigates the bombs but loses them out on big profits when there is a hit (think Hunger Games)

So that means the movie would only have to make about $45.5M to cover the rest of the production budget. Then it's just a matter of covering the marketing expenses. If they spent $50M on P&A, then that means a domestic gross of $136M would put it in the black. That would take some surprising legs. So, it's all up to home video.

Edited by johnboy3434

5 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

When the Deadline article says that Lionsgate has 25% exposure on Power Rangers, what exactly does that mean? Does it mean that they've already covered 75% of the costs selling the foreign distribution rights, among other things?

Probably a mix of sales of market and co-financing.

5 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Yes exactly that - it has been Lionsgate mode of operation for a long time. Mitigates the bombs but loses them out on big profits when there is a hit (think Hunger Games)

I think they went higher risk and financed Hunger Games by themselve a lot, they even sold some of their library and story rights to raise the 80 million budget, they sold all foreign market except UK like they always do thought, apparently around 50 million.

http://www.reuters.com/article/lionsgate-hungergames-idUSL1E8QL2G320120323

Not a lot of production companies involved:

Production Companies

Not like a God of Egypts:

Production Companies

Or Power Rangers

Production Companies

10 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

So that means the movie would only have to make about $45.5M to cover the rest of the production budget. Then it's just a matter of covering the marketing expenses. If they spent $50M on P&A, then that means a domestic gross of $136M would put it in the black. That would take some surprising legs. So, it's all up to home video.

136 million domestic would be a rental of around 70-74 million, remove 50 million in P&A, there is 20-24 million left to start paying for the budget (is it possible that you made the common mistake of removing the studio P&A from the box office instead then removing it from the studio part of it ?)

It depend how that 25% exposure come from, if it is because they achieved to do 75 million in pre-sales and that the budget of the movie was 100 million, it turn it in a 25 million movie that you release it only in the US and UK and you just have to make 25 million to cover it.

If it is part pre-sales, part financing partner that make it a bit more complicated.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

136 million domestic would be a rental of around 70-74 million, remove 50 million in P&A, there is 20-24 million left to start paying for the budget (is it possible that you made the common mistake of removing the studio P&A from the box office instead then removing it from the studio part of it ?)

It depend how that 25% exposure come from, if it is because they achieved to do 75 million in pre-sales and that the budget of the movie was 100 million, it turn it in a 25 million movie that you release it only in the US and UK and you just have to make 25 million to cover it.

If it is part pre-sales, part financing partner that make it a bit more complicated.

So basicly your saying Lionsgate covered their butt knowing the movie could very well flop. lol

39 minutes ago, Momo said:

So basicly your saying Lionsgate covered their butt knowing the movie could very well flop. lol

Liongates from what I understand don't have the ability to distribute their movie worldwide, they always need to do some deal with other distributor, they do that for all their movie, La la land included.

As for the co-finance, it could be that some of them have a type of deal that they can if they want have stake in the movie without liongates having any options (the co-financier seem to own the franchise in some ways), but yeah usually you get co-financier to protect you from flop, it is really common now, it is even rare to not do it outside Disney.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

For all of those who are somehow disappointed if BatB "only" does 85-90m this weekend, keep in mind that anything less than a 50% drop would still be absolutely insane considering the gigantic numbers we're dealing with. Not even the Avengers managed that. This movie is a beast no matter what.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, miketheavenger said:

For all of those who are somehow disappointed if BatB "only" does 85-90m this weekend, keep in mind that anything less than a 50% drop would still be absolutely insane considering the gigantic numbers we're dealing with. Not even the Avengers managed that. This movie is a beast no matter what.

I would be happy with anything above 78M

1 hour ago, chrisman0606 said:

I remember that RTH back in December did a poem about the current movies at the box office, I wonder if anyone or @Rth and the Beast also could make one for the current ones.

One Day, A Beauty and the Beast met at the Slamma Jamma. Originally they wanted to meet at the magical Shack on Skull Island, but Power Rangers held their annual gathering there, pondering about Life. A Raw knock on the door disturbed the the group at Table 39. A guy named Logan asked, if they had a Cure for Wellness. He got lost in the Belko Experiment and needed help, but some Hidden Figures in the Shack had no mercy and told him to Get Out. Logan was Split on the issue. Should he involve them into a Fist Fight? Or should he try to bribe them with a tasty portion of Chips, he was given as provision by the experiments Doctor, John Wick? Before he could take a decision, it got 50 Shades Darker around him. Far away in the Moonlight, standing on The Great Wall,  a Lego Batman was about to Sing the anthem of a United Kingdom. A single tone came out of his mouth, before a Lion and a Rock Dog came out of the woods  to end his life. "So is this a Dog's Purpose?" Logan asked himseld, Trainspotting in the distance. "Those Fantastic Beasts surely have a Good Sense of an Ending. "

It's not a poem, but I hope ypu like it either way. 

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Momo said:

They are thinking we just made a boat load of cash from BATB. I seriously doubt the care about PR right now. Honestly,Saban came off like a prick in that article. It's not like since he bought it back it's been doing great. The current series is producing like 0.5 or 0.6 right now. lol

Current Power Rangers are doing about a million in the rating, which for a current Nick show isn't bad, but yes it's not as massive as it once used to be. 

57 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I don't know why we'd be talking about PR in any serious fashion. I mean the movie looked absolutely terrible. Why would that be any surprise?! Even when I was 5, it was way too cheesy to watch and I never spent any time watching that crap. It was laughable. The only good thing to come out of Power Rangers was Amy Jo Johnson, the pink ranger. That was it. 

There were actually some solid Power Rangers shows after the original Mighty Morphin, that were more story-arc driven. 

18 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Liongates from what I understand don't have the ability to distribute their movie worldwide, they always need to do some deal with other distributor, they do that for all their movie, La la land included.

As for the co-finance, it could be that some of them have a type of deal that they can if they want have stake in the movie without liongates having any options, but yeah usually you get co-financier to protect you from flop, it is really common now, it is even rare to not do it outside Disney.

It's a bit strange Lionsgate has a UK arm but nowhere else, Amblin Partners films are distributed by Universal in the US and Mister Smith Entertainment who sublet rights to local distributors like eOne apart from films like Ghost in the Shell or Bridge of Spies which are distributed by the studio who co-produced it.

Co-financiers have existed for a long time but we've seen the rise of the likes of Legendary, Ratpac, Annapurna, Skydance etc who co-fund major titles. Village Roadshow has been around for a few decades and have co-financed some of Warner Bros' biggest hits and still are a major partner. The Potter and Fantastic Beasts as well as The Hobbit were some of the rare WB titles that didn't have co-financier though The Hobbit did have MGM as a partner. 

1 hour ago, chrisman0606 said:

I remember that RTH back in December did a poem about the current movies at the box office, I wonder if anyone or @Rth and the Beast also could make one for the current ones.

lol  very quick

Beauty was enjoying Life eating some CHiPS until she saw the Beast morphin into a Power Ranger to go help logan get out of the shack where he was be tortured by Wick and Wilson and forced to watch repeated viewings of The Lego Batman Movie

• Like 17

1 minute ago, Rth and the Beast said:

lol  very quick

Beauty was enjoying Life eating some CHiPS until she saw the Beast morphin into a Power Ranger to go help logan get out of the shack where he was be tortured by Wick and Wilson and forced to watch repeated viewings of The Lego Batman Movie

NUMBERS. NEED NUMBERS.