iceroll

84th Academy Awards Ratings Thread (less than Grammys?)

This thread is for predicting and discussing tv ratings for the upcoming Academy Awards.I think with the majority of nominees being smaller profile movies that most of the public hasn't seen, the Oscars will take a ratings tumble this year.Here are the historical ratings:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award#Awards_ceremoniesLast year drew 37.63 million viewers, down from 41.62 when Avatar was nominated while the lowest ratings were in 2007 with 31.76 million viewers when No Country for Old Men won. I'm predicting 30.5 million viewers for this year's ceremony, a new record low.Before Grammy ratings come out tomorrow, I'm predicting a viewership of 31 million due to Whitney Houston and the phenomenon of Adele. The last two years had 26.7 million and 25.9 million years respectively so I think 31 million is completely doable.So yeah basically I'm saying the Grammys will be more watched than the Oscars this year. Anybody else?

I don't know if the Oscars will ever recover. Basically even before nominations come out everyone knows who's going to win Best Picture. There's no point in watching. Plus again and again the Academy nominates and awards movies that the general public has no interest it. The voting crew is too old and should be re-evaluated and replaced every year because we already know their tastes and preferences.

Right, but it's not really a fair comparison. The Grammys cater more to the masses with their nominations than the Oscars do. The "artists" they nominate are extremely popular (and atrocious) for the most part, and right now they're in a rare zone where popular music is so popular, they can't miss by nominating it to draw viewers.The Oscars rarely care about nominating what's popular. If they did, you would see DiCaprio and not Bichir for actor, etc. There are many examples.

Edited by ravon80

If the Oscars where like Grammys it would look like this

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2

Rises of Planet of Apes

Bridesmaid

The Help

Thor

Transformers: DOTM

Toy Story 3

Inception

Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows part 1

Despicable Me

How to Train Your Dragon

Social Network

Black Swan

True Gritt

The King's Speech

Up

Hangover

Star Trek

Hangover

Blind Side

Iron Man

The Dark Knight

Wall-e

Kung Fu Panda

Gran Torino

Transformers

The Bourne Ultimatum

Juno

Superbad

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

I definitely expect the ratings to tumble this year. I haven't seen any of the BP nominees nor plan to(except The Help and that was only because my mom insisted I watch it with her when I visited her last month lol), they all just look so stale and uninteresting.Edit: Holy crap Titanic pushed up the ratings...

Edited by Shpongle

I don't expect much this year either however, I don't see how this couldn't do better than 2007. The movies that year were just as, if not more, unfamiliar and unappealing to the public (sure Juno was a hit but The Help was even bigger). Of course The Artist is not a film that the public care about, so I think this years low ratings will make the academy think a lot more about what they give their greatest honour to. Having said that I don't think the academy should pander to the general public's poor taste but I do think they shouldn't alienate them to the extent of awarding a silent French movie. If I were voting my vote would go more towards The Descendants or Hugo or Moneyball or even The Help, movies I loved and the general public (when they get around to seeing some of them) will probably like if not love too.

Edited by pieman