WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

Just now, TalismanRing said:

I know she's the only reason I would ever conceivably think of watching it.

Didn't Sam Worthington just sign up for another Christian-themed movie right after this one came out? :lol: Who would've thought that's where he'd be 7 1/2 years after Avatar?

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Weekend thoughts:

Very good opening for The Boss Baby. DreamWorks Animation has enjoyed a nice comeback after a few quiet years.

Another solid drop for Beauty and the Beast, which will soon pass $400M.

Ghost in the Shell better hope it has a strong overseas showing.

Power Rangers and Life pretty much crumbled. Kong, Logan, and Get Out all continue hanging in there.

The Zookeeper's Wife had a great opening. This could be a leggy midrange hit.

DWA has had successful films in the last few year but they're no longer the dominant studio they once were and I think 2014 was their low point. The budgets for their films are still too high considering their non sequels films like Home and Trolls didn't crack $400m WW. The Boss Baby's budget is $125m so a $400-450m WW would be good. 

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Didn't Sam Worthington just sign up for another Christian-themed movie right after this one came out? :lol: Who would've thought that's where he'd be 7 1/2 years after Avatar?

I'm sure stealing work from Kirk Cameron is not the career path he envisioned either. 

I wonder if he privately damns James Cameron for being so s-l-o-w.

Edited by TalismanRing

Overall It's a fairly decent weekend $170m overall which is great for this time of year - but the lack of depth (only 11 films over the 1m mark) speaks to the fact that Most of March was 1 hit wonder weekends.

Beauty might actually see it's first Weekend over estimation with that -25% Sunday hold by far the best in the top 12 which sets it up to swing downward about 500k tomorrow.

Boss Baby is pretty much on the mark, can't see it doing much better on Sunday but we could be surprised.

Ghost In the Shell also has a fairly optimistic Sunday projection so expect to see it dip some more.

Power Rangers and Life are par for the course as far as films with either a high Fanbase or weak WOM

CHiPS benefits from being the only "adult" comedy in the marketplace right now.

Zookeeper's Wife has a fine start, but again the Sunday estimate is pretty much on the high end so it will inevitably come down as well.

Nothing else of much note - the indie scene right now isn't too hot with either weak films or weak expansions but it all adds up.

Next weekend should see much of the same - rather bland holds (nothing great nothing horrible) as everyone waits for the fire of the Furious on Easter Weekend.

Guessing we should get prepared now for the "why did Good Friday act like that" conversation since we have a bunch of new members...

All the talk about Sam Worthington - when you need work you take whats offered and unfortunately not much else has apparently been offered.

As for the Shack over other films - it surpassed my high expectations (45m) but it was hard to predict because for every Best Selling Booked turned movie smash in the Christian world you also have mega bombs like Left Behind (if ever there was a Book series designed for Big Budget Success in the Christian World). Christian films are just hard to determine as to what will work or what will flop.

Kudos to the few who saw it coming. But I don't think anyone expected Life or GiTS to bomb as hard as they have.

• Like 1