WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

2 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

I honestly think it would be best if Paramount and Sony just died...that would at least create more distribution space for smaller indies rather than overloading the market with "blockbusters" nobody wants.

I'd miss the Mission Impossible movies

-and transformers to a lesser extent-

• Like 4

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Thematically dark in the right ways.

It's more that they're so low budget that they can afford to be R-selected rather than K-selected. Low budget horror dying will be the equivalent of a cinematic desert so bad that it can't support a rat.

Just now, Fate of the Robertman2 said:

I'd miss the Mission Impossible movies

-and transformers to a lesser extent-

MI sucks and Transformers would do better rebooted with a director who understands narrative. As it is, they're a studio that basically dies the moment Transformers can't cut the mustard anymore.

3 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

I honestly think it would be best if Paramount and Sony just died...that would at least create more distribution space for smaller indies rather than overloading the market with "blockbusters" nobody wants.

It would be awful for creatives. Less outlets means less opportunity, not more. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, drdungbeetle said:

I disagree. Sure they've made some stinkers, but they also produce a lot of great stuff. Just last year, Paramount were the ones behind Everybody Wants Some!!, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Arrival, Fences and Silence. It would really, really suck to lose them.

• Like 4

Just now, Telerian said:

It would be awful for creatives. Less outlets means less opportunity, not more. 

Nothing says creative like Monster Trucks and 90s anime ripoffs. If it creates more room for A24/Lionsgate/other indie stuff it's a worthy gamble. Sony/Paramount have the most rotten "blockbuster" lists I've ever seen.

4 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

No.  Paramount still produces/distributes high quality releases (Arrival, Allied, Fences, etc.) and Sony has their fair share in there as well (Sausage Party, Magnificent Seven, The Shallows, etc.).  I'd be sad to see both of them shut their doors tbh.  Even though they do produce some low quality films, it's not like their studios are completely bereft of any quality.

Not to mention the amount of jobs that'll be lost if they close doors.

• Like 1

Nothing says creative like Monster Trucks and 90s anime ripoffs. If it creates more room for A24/Lionsgate/other indie stuff it's a worthy gamble. Sony/Paramount have the most rotten "blockbuster" lists I've ever seen.

Have you actually looked at a list of what they've made? Paramount had a bad 2016 from a financial perspective but creatively they released some excellent stuff. Sony has had a rough go of it for the last couple of years but they still have a rich history of great films, and there's no reason why they can't get back to that. The film industry is big enough to accommodate for those smaller studios without killing off the bigger ones. 

Edited by aabattery

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I think There Will Be Blood did about as well as could have been expected from it. If we're making New Hollywood comparisons it's much more of a Raging Bull (also not a big commercial success) than a Taxi Driver. 

There will be blood was amazing but there's no way it appeals to the brain dead lobotomized audience that wants Trump babby movie featuring SNL guy as babby

6 minutes ago, Telerian said:

But all those are from such a wildly different era (budgets/marketing/release patterns) they're not a good match. Some of them aren't good comps because they were pre-existing material: THE GODFATHER and THE EXORCIST were huge bestsellers before the movies went into production. So was ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S nest. I love all these movies (and SICARIO and TWBB) but it's a different world now. It doesn't make any sense to just say studios should make them anyway -- even though I wish they did. 

We also only remember the films that broke out.  They were releasing hundreds of films a year then as well and a lot of good and even great films fell by the wayside - only some later finding success or cult status though TV or home video.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

MI sucks and Transformers would do better rebooted with a director who understands narrative. As it is, they're a studio that basically dies the moment Transformers can't cut the mustard anymore.

I mean, Travis Knight (KUBO) is helming the Bumblebee spinoff and Bay is supposedly leaving the series, so...

And MI definitely does not suck :ph34r: 

Monster Trucks WAS an original property.  How creative it was narratively is up to your standards, but it did get a big budget for an original property, which is hardly seen nowadays outside of fully animated features.  GITS was a reboot, not a ripoff.  There's a clear difference.

Sony's blockbuster list from last year includes great movies (Don't Breathe, Sausage Party) and good movies too (Ghostbusters, Magnificent Seven).  Paramount had Star Trek Beyond, 10 Cloverfield Lane, and Arrival.  And that's not even counting their smaller, great movies in there as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

We also only remember the films that broke out.  They were releasing hundreds of films a year then as well and a lot of good and even great films fell by the wayside - only some later finding success or cult status though TV or home video.

And among the biggest grossers there was always stuff like Earthquake, Billy Jack, Hooper, The Towering Inferno that hardly anyone watches or even remembers these days. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Telerian said:

It doesn't make any sense to just say studios should make them anyway -- even though I wish they did. 

I think 2 conversation is a bit going on, it is not about studio that should make them (because obviously like you say, there is so much safer, even with a giant 50 million domestic marketing budget when a Live By Night fail, it fail much more than safer movie).

But that it would be nice if audience would watch them, like they did in the past, so we would have more of them, with more resource put in them in theater to watch.

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

I think 2 conversation is a bit going on, it is not about studio that should make them (because obviously like you say, there is so much safer, even with a giant 50 million domestic marketing budget when a Live By Night fail, it fail much more than safer movie).

But that it would be nice if audience would watch them, like they did in the past, so we would have more of them, with more resource put in them in theater to watch.

If you are an "adult-only" property and you are looking to reboot/remake something already done...it better be better.  Adults are just less likely to go out for those types of properties when they can watch the better previous version.  So, if you don't have a hook or something better, don't make it.

Now, if you can get kids into your property audience, you're golden, b/c adults want to share their childhood with kids.  Tarzan became a surprise non-bust last summer b/c grandparents and parents all went to continue the whole "we all watched Tarzan" vibe.  Beauty and the Beast was the easiest gimme breakout this year b/c I knew so many moms wanted to relive this movie with their kids in a brand new form...passing on childhood just sells!:)

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

Sony is one of the biggest if not the biggest and best distributor (with Fox Searchlight) of indies/world acquisition via Sony Pictures classics, it is most of their release in a year, Whiplash, Foxcatcher, Mr Turner, The raid & The Raid 2,  Son of Saul, Take Shelter, The Guard, Skin I live In, Carnage, A Separation, Woody Allens movies  etc...  They make almost no blockbuster.

I think many people would take Baby Driver, Darren Aronofsky movie, Downsizing, Fences, Silence, Arrival, etc.. and other risk Sony/Paramount take over all the Disney live action slate.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Those 2 movie were full of humors and probably why they worked with audiences.

Outside of Shyamalan talking about Hooters and 9 year old McAvoy quips, Split is pretty damn dark, yo!

• Like 1