Ezen Baklattan

THE THREAD OF THE FURIOUS: Friday #s (DHD, Pg 36) F8 45.5M, BB 6.6M, BATB 5.3M, Smurfs 2.9M, GIS 2.1M

1 hour ago, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:
  Reveal hidden contents

it-crowd-maurice-moss-frustration-fuck-t

I HAD A 190K WEEKEND BEFORE I GOT PARANOID AND DECIDED TO CHANGE IT I HATE EVERYTHING THIS ISN'T REAL AND FF8 WAS UTTER GARBAGE 

Spoiler

Luckily Easter's tomorrow so I can gorge myself on ham and shrimp and forget about this

3 hours ago, baumer said:

TFA had horrible legs for a December movie. Couldnt even hit a billion. Pfft

Some of u laugh at this. But this was an actual argument from some when it came out. 

• Like 14

6 hours ago, baumer said:

Yes and no

74% of schools were off yesterday according to Deadline. Also its a National holiday in Canada.

Schools being off ain't the same as adults being off work.

44 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

And it had done $85m in the non US/China markets on Wednesday and Thursday.

So another $155m over 3 days in those other markets is doable.

Especially since alot of the international markets didn't open til Friday.

Yes, 155 over 3-days is very doable considering it did 85 on Wed and Thu.

With a 155 OS-China 3-day OW and 2.4x multiplier, it could to 155*2.4 + 85 (adding back Wed and Thu) = ~460 OS-China

230 dom (100*2.3x) + 410 China (190*2.1x) + 460 OS-China = 1.1b WW

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DAJK said:

God bless my stain remover

For Spark, same here. I do wonder if it gets removed from scoring.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

With F8te squeaking by $100M OW, I wonder how Guardians V2 performs.

Right now, I am thinking $130M-$140M OW seems fair.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 4

Definitely a letdown for Fate of the Furious. I feel much the same way about its opening as I did with the final Hunger Games movie: it's big, but it's also disappointing even amid tempered expectations. I know Universal was never going to have the perfect storm of hype that they did with Furious 7 two years ago, but one would think they would have been more aggressive to capitalize on the franchise peak - not relatively muted (for a big blockbuster, that is) like they were here.

But whatever. It's still gonna make a bazillion dollars overseas, so it will be quite profitable for Universal and the franchise will go on into double digits as planned.

11 minutes ago, YourMother said:

With F8te squeaking by $100M OW, I wonder how Guardians V2 performs.

Right now, I am thinking $130M-$140M OW seems fair.

And that will be seen as disappointing and Marvel fatigue taking affect by some even though it's a great opening. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Manchester by the Tree said:

It may not be a sanctioned Full Public Holiday like Christmas but definitely plays out like say President's day or Martin Luther King Jr where a good share of adults do have the day off - either by taking it off or being given it. In our area of rural America nearly half of the local businesses were closed yesterday. It really just depends on where you are at and how heavily Catholic and Evangelical your area is.

Good Friday is always inflated due to heavier percentages of people being off work or out of school - however if you notice in years past adult skewing flicks do tend to increase on the Saturday before everything shit dives on Sunday.

And other note - when kids are out of school that means somebody has to be home with them, so it does inflate the adults who are out as well.

• Like 3

Webby's Hunger Games 4 analogy is actually pretty near close to my feelings - I put 105m in the derby but certainly was hoping it could do more. And I think the potential is there but obviously selling the 8th film as BKB is stating should be taken into account.

I am not disappointed in the film's opening per say but It's never going to be let off the hook by this board knowing how expectations are always taken at "should have been type fact" around here.

30 minutes ago, Manchester by the Tree said:

Movies drop on the Saturday after Good Friday. That means theres a significant amount of people attending thd film on Friday that wouldnt normally.

• Like 5

To the people labeling this a "disappointing" opening: what's your criteria for success? Was it an opening on par with Furious 7 (which was absolutely in a million years never going to happen)? Was it a slightly higher opening weekend, like $110m-$120m?

For God's sake, this thing is about to break the all-time record for a worldwide opening weekend. Some people are just looking to be disappointed, I guess. 

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

The only question is.....how will Guardians V2 do in China? ?

probably slightly more than the previous one, 100m USD

They have to try to understand the dialogues and interactions across a cultural barrier. And their favorite marvel character Ironman isn't in this movie.

15 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

The only question is.....how will Guardians V2 do in China? ?

• Like 1