Ezen Baklattan

THE THREAD OF THE FURIOUS: Friday #s (DHD, Pg 36) F8 45.5M, BB 6.6M, BATB 5.3M, Smurfs 2.9M, GIS 2.1M

4 hours ago, Webslinger said:

The worldwide opening is an enormous success, yes.

But you can't sit here and tell me with a straight face that barely cracking $100 million after a $147 million opening two years ago isn't at least a little disappointing. With the goodwill this franchise has built, it should have been able to crack at least $120 million this weekend. Clearing a nine-digit opening is always impressive, but there was certainly a great deal of room for Fate of the Furious to go higher.

You're talking about the 8th film in a franchise, released 16 years after the first, and F7 was an anomaly.

This is literally the equivalent of arguing that MJ's 'Bad' and its 5 Billboard Hot 100 #1 singles was a disappointment because it didn't do as well as 'Thriller'.

Edited by PDC1987
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Some people here are ridiculous.

This would have been an enormous success even without US.

Who the fuck cares for DOM when you will have the biggest OS grosser of the year and by a comfortable margin??

OS records will always be viewed less enthusiastically because:

1. Changing exchange rates have a huge impact (for better or worse)

2. The exact makeup of countries in which a movie has its OW varies (meaning you're not always comparing apples to apples)

3.  China becoming so massive that it can dictate OS records with growing frequency.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

While I am not a fan of DavinciCode1....

Lets give props to what he is saying because he is right a film released in FEBRUARY is kicking the butts of films released over the last 3 weeks - which doesn't even begin to mention the total gross.

So there is a point to his post - however unnecessarily gif filled that it is

Agreed 100%. Its the way he goes about it thats annoying.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Some hyperbole going on right now.

No, 9 figure opening are not always impressive, if Avengers 3 part 1 do a 103 million first weekend no one will be impressed, and yes it is possible that a 30% decline for the first weekend (if that happen) is a bit of bigger than expected drop for the studio, at least it is not crazy to talk about it has a possibility.

Mockingjay part 2 mentioned before is a really good example, it opened over 100 million for a non-mpaa Studio movie with a small 50 million north america experimental release strategy that the 2 last movie used to boost margin, with not only a much smaller releasing budget that the big studio movies, but also a much smaller production budget, total success crazy to call it a deception ?

But that was a 15.7% first weekend drop from part 2, 35% from the series peak and Liongates stock did took a big hit with that release, from 40$ to 34$ the weak after it's first weekend (probably not so much because the last Hunger Games drop from the previous but what it did mean for the hole genre that Liongates was really cashing on and is divergent future movies and the others it would have done if the genre would have stayed popular).

Now Fast&Furious is a totally different animal, because it is arguably that biggest franchise outside the US right now, and if their is a small disappointment (say 10-15% smaller than wanted domestic opening) we don't know and will not because the giant performance oversea is more than making up for it.

Has for the seven being a sure peak because of Walker death, that is not true in at least 16 market were Fast 8 is opening bigger, domestic is different because he was an american actor and the franchise was new in many of those market, but a lot of Seven success had nothing to do with it (same for Dark Knight and Ledger, that movie was a really big deal in market were they didn't care about him, don't even knew who he was, is previous success being mostly big deal in the US only) and a lot to do with Wan giant spectacle.

Yes, but most of the arguments here center around whether or not it's "disappointing" in America. Walker's death may not have been as big of a deal in other markets, but it was certainly was one of the driving forces toward F7's breakout in the US. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Some people here are ridiculous.

This would have been an enormous success even without US.

Who the fuck cares for DOM when you will have the biggest OS grosser of the year and by a comfortable margin??

As anyone said otherwise (that it would not have been an enormous success without the US) ?

That is a bit of a straw man.

As for being the 8 entry, first one 16 year's ago, that the same has a Potter release and not all entry of F&F are relevant entry to the story, it does not require for the audience to have seen the previous and the franchise changed a lot since it's beginning, a doubt it really at all on the audience of the first one that had seen it in theater, a lot of that franchise audience is much more recent than that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SophieSlut said:

Box Office Pro predicted that it would open to $118 million domestically, but it's only going to open to like $102 million, with $432 million overseas. 

tumblr_mpwiiwZ7yJ1s6zhnoo1_500.gif

Can't tell if serious.

F8 is killing it. Has any 8th film in a franchise grossed over a bill WW? I guess TLJ will but either way its an amazimg accomplishment.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Tele hinted at something exciting if it would happen.

Ah ok. I missed that one.

Yeah it's gonna come close to batb ow. GO could do it though.

Edited by a2knet

7 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

OS records will always be viewed less enthusiastically because:

1. Changing exchange rates have a huge impact (for better or worse)

2. The exact makeup of countries in which a movie has its OW varies (meaning you're not always comparing apples to apples)

3.  China becoming so massive that it can dictate OS records with growing frequency.

1. Forum members being Americans in majority.

-

1 minute ago, baumer said:

F8 is killing it. Has any 8th film in a franchise grossed over a bill WW? I guess TLJ will but either way its an amazimg accomplishment.

Depends on whether or not you count Rogue One as the 8th Star Wars film. Either way, it's definitely passing Rogue One WW.

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

Potter8. SW8 will do it this year. But yeah, pretty gr8 for F8.

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

Outside Rogue One, Skyfall was more than the 20th entry of the Bond Franchise

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

And Paul Walker's death is a fact, not an excuse. 

Is it so difficult to see??

Not sure I get the distinction, most excuse tend to be factual.

Example of excuse: The Montreal Canadian had a bad season last year because their best player Carey Price was hurt and didn't play for most of it. That a fact and a good excuse.

Edited by Barnack

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

1. Forum members being Americans in majority.

-

I'm not American and I still care way more about the domestic records.

This isn't about where the forum members are from. It's about the fact we're here discussing an American film industry (almost entirely). The industry itself gains much more from a huge domestic success than an equivalent OS number.

Not saying an OS record isn't cool, just not as cool as a domestic record.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

I'm not American and I still care way more about the domestic records.

This isn't about where the forum members are from. It's about the fact we're here discussing an American film industry (almost entirely). The industry itself gains much more from a huge domestic success than an equivalent OS number.

Not saying an OS record isn't cool, just not as cool as a domestic record.

Different people have different opinions.

I dont blame anyone but it is normal that when you have a forum run in majority by people from NA, you will have much more interest for domestic box office.

I personally care more about OS numbers because they indicate a much bigger part of the world and , not to fool myself, my favourite franchises generally do better OS than DoM.

Also there is much more room for growth so there is no  limit. Especially with the addition of China.

This movie was made with the huge OS gross in mind and a domestic decline as well.

Even though I'm sure they were hoping for something closer to 300M domestically rather than closer to the 250M it's going to get I just can't see them not opening the champagne and lighting the cigars over its worldwide performance.

I think the next one goes to China. As people here have already said; expect a CGI race on top of the Great Wall.

Edited by Arlborn

12 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

After surprising me in its second weekend, Power Rangers looks like it will disappoint for two weekends in a row. I'm picturing a still-optimistic $3.58M now, which would be a 42.2% drop.

A 3.6M Easter weekend from a 1M Friday won't happen. Most movies see at max a 20% increase on Saturday and a minimum 40% drop on Sunday. 3.1M would be the optimistic projection.