Ezen Baklattan

THE THREAD OF THE FURIOUS: Friday #s (DHD, Pg 36) F8 45.5M, BB 6.6M, BATB 5.3M, Smurfs 2.9M, GIS 2.1M

19 minutes ago, baumer said:

Call me insane, but when a film has a record WW opening, I just don't see how you can say it's disappointing regardless of what market you are talking about.

I wouldn't call you insane, but I would definitely call you mistaken. F8 has significantly underperformed (make that "massively underperformed") in the North American market. The fact that the global take for F8 is awesome, does not preclude anyone from breaking down the individual markets and evaluating them, especially the biggest one in the world. 

I was trying to explain the same principle apropos TFA & R1. Yes, their global BO performance was awesome, but in large swathes of the planet, Star Wars clearly appears to be a mere afterthought. It's the simple truth. 

As for the FF franchise, it seems to have clearly peaked in North America. All things considered it seems that not only will it make a lot less than F7, but it will very likely make even less than F6. 

Another thing of note, is that F8's global take is massively propped-up by epic Chinese numbers. Without China (which takes Hollywood studios for a ride when it comes to splitting the revenue) the FF franchise is demonstrating clear signs of stagnation/regression. 

• Like 4

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

Especially given films make more profit (cough, Star Wars) when they are more domestic based anyways... 

99.9 percent of films don't have the US/UK cachet of Star Wars and Universal will take what it can get.

Think it's a given that Kong beats PR next weekend. PR fell below Kong by like 100,000 on Sunday. Not that either movie will be in the top 10 next week though.

Edited by Momo

20 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

No shit, the point was more money is made per person when it comes from the US... That's it. 

And your point is...? The US market is no longer big enough to sustain most blockbusters on its own, only things like Star Wars. More money per person meant more when things like Ghostbusters could get the equivalent of 600 mil back in the 1980s.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Momo said:

Think it's a given that Kong beats PR next weekend. PR fell below Kong by like 100,000 on Sunday. Not that either movie will be in the top 10 next week though.

Pretty much, PR won't hit 100 mil anyway, which was probably Lionsgate's goal after the opening weekend numbers came in.

• Community Manager
4 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

And your point is...? The US market is no longer big enough to sustain most blockbusters on its own, only things like Star Wars. More money per person meant more when things like Ghostbusters could get the equivalent of 600 mil back in the 1980s.

It can sustain plenty of blockbusters on its own. You dont need to make $600 million to be sustainable lol.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Call me insane, but when a film has a record WW opening, I just don't see how you can say it's disappointing regardless of what market you are talking about.

That's why some of us have been careful to specify that the domestic opening is slightly disappointing.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

It can sustain plenty of blockbusters on its own. You dont need to make $600 million to be sustainable lol.

Not at the budgets that modern blockbusters require. Good luck making money off a 200 mil movie with the US gross alone. And don't give me that "But Deadpool" stuff. That's like saying all horror movies can gross what THE MOVIE THAT SHALL NOT BE NAMED did.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Apollo2xx said:

8th Update, Final: Universal’s final figures for F. Gary Gray’s The Fate of the Furious$532M worldwide debut, whipping Star Wars: The Force Awakens‘ $529M. Broken out that’s $433.2M abroad, beating Jurassic World‘s $316.7M previous foreign record launch, and $98.8M. Thanks to Fate, Uni speeds past the billion mark at the international B.O., making it the second studio to reach that milestone in 2017. That’s 11 years in a row for Uni grossing $1 billion abroad, and it’s the second fastest in regards to getting there after 2015.

Whipping. By 3m lol

Oh well, it is what it is

• Like 2

1 minute ago, junkshop36 said:

Whipping. By 3m lol

Oh well, it is what it is

$3M - with the addition of China as a market - oh and about $12m in ticket surcharges China now includes in box office (though not in included in what goes back to the studio) B)

• Like 2