Ezen Baklattan

THE THREAD OF THE FURIOUS: Friday #s (DHD, Pg 36) F8 45.5M, BB 6.6M, BATB 5.3M, Smurfs 2.9M, GIS 2.1M

3 hours ago, KP1025 said:

China's growth is very impressive. It won't be long before $200 million openings become more common there than the US. 

The bad thing about China is studios keep around 25% of the grosses made there, versus 50% or so Domestically, and 40%ish overall Overseas.

So while China grosses are good for bragging, it will take a while before a Hollywood studio can totally rely on it for profit like they can for the DOM market.

Edited by 2 Panda 2 Furious
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, 2 Panda 2 Furious said:

The bad thing about China is studios keep around 25% of the grosses made there, versus 50% or so Domestically, and 40%ish overall Overseas.

So while China grosses are good for bragging, it will take a while before a Hollywood studio can totally rely on it for profit like they can for the DOM market.

Agreed. I also wish China wasn't so harsh with restrictions like the one month limit or the rapid screen loss for new films. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 2 Panda 2 Furious said:

Once you consider the giant difference in the cost of distribution between China and all the others, the difference is not that big in term of margin, it is much better for small box office, about the same for the 150-250 but smaller for the really big over 300 million movie like Furious 8.

Make 200 million in China, you make 50 million back with say a 5 million releasing cost for a 45 million profit.

Make 200 million domestic, you make around 106 million back but after a 40 to 75 million releasing cost your are down to 31 to 60 million profit and in that scenario you did took a chance to loose more money distributing your movie than putting it direct to video.

The biggest difference on why the China market is not as good is after theatrical, not so much the 25% with almost free distribution deal, that is not bad at all imo, better than many market.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Agreed. I also wish China wasn't so harsh with restrictions like the one month limit or the rapid screen loss for new films. 

Yeah, from Hollywood's perspective, there's just so many barriers from Chinese regulations.  It could easily turn into the most profitable country for filmmakers without them.

So FF8 audience was 59% non-white? Hmm is that high number because of such a multicultural cast or are non-white people more interested in cool badass cars while many of my white brethren are trolling around in their minivans? Lol :P 

Quite a huge global opening for FF, I am surprised but not THAT surprised. It's a huge international franchise. It's weird how consistent the final multiple is from OW though. If it's seriously always about 2.4x that's crazy reliable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

F8 was f8cking awesome holy shit! Everything it should have been and more. Dopey as shit sure, but damn it did not feel like 2+ hours

Yeah, I didn't look at my watch once (which I usually do, even in movies that I enjoy)

• Like 1

http://deadline.com/2017/04/fate-of-the-furious-global-opening-box-office-record-furious-7-vin-diesel-dwayne-johnson-1202067353/

Analysts are forecasting a $100M-$110M over three days in U.S./Canada

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/fate-of-the-furious-box-office-opening-1202028227/

The film is tracking to open to $100 million and change

It was right on target, no underperforming.

1 hour ago, 2 Panda 2 Furious said:

No, it's performing on par DOM with F6, and going bonkers WW.  It's solid.

It's a solid opening Domestic but a huge drop from previous instalment.

Overseas it's massive. 

There! 

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Maybe you should try watching it. Might open your eyes.

Yeah, man. I wasn't gaga for Get Out but it's great fun and clever as hell. BKB... Just check it out, dude. You might like... Don't go in expecting a race flick, go in expecting a good flick.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, THE PHENOMENAL BKB said:

Let's get this out of the way right now: I get along with all people of all Races Ethan.. There isn't 1 black person, male or female, that I don't get along with and as a matter of fact I'm quite well respected by them as well at work.. My eyes are wide open young Ethan and what I see is a generation that claims they want Racism to disappear, but sure as hell keep bringing it up even in situations where it's not warranted.. Now, I'm not going to start the day off and get into a debate, heated or not, about Racism and get banned for it just because I made a comment about a so called horror movie that in my eyes, is being passed off as just that, so whatever.. Glad everyone here enjoyed it.. Moving right along now.. ;)

Just watch it with an open mind. Of you don't end up liking it you don't like it but even ignoring all that its still a fun well made horror movie. Daniel Kaluuya and Jordan Peele are both revelations

• Like 1