Ezen Baklattan

THE THREAD OF THE FURIOUS: Friday #s (DHD, Pg 36) F8 45.5M, BB 6.6M, BATB 5.3M, Smurfs 2.9M, GIS 2.1M

33 minutes ago, Dragon said:

So did it broke WW record?

Isn't this the strangest record ever?  A movie needs China to be involved in that opening weekend and then nearly every other territory as well. If no China, then no record.  Also, lets say F8 makes $1.25B which would be AWESOME but with about a hundred million less domestically, that's gotta hurt the overall profit numbers.

4 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

Which is worse, hearing people whine about Fast 8's "poor" opening weekend or contemplating the idiots ejaculating all over the forum if it broke 150?

I'd say hearing people complain and exaggerate about it are the worst.

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

Isn't this the strangest record ever?  A movie needs China to be involved in that opening weekend and then nearly every other territory as well. If no China, then no record.  Also, lets say F8 makes $1.25B which would be AWESOME but with about a hundred million less domestically, that's gotta hurt the overall profit numbers.

No it wont.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

Which is worse, hearing people whine about Fast 8's "poor" opening weekend or contemplating the idiots ejaculating all over the forum if it broke 150?

Wasting your time on a forum where you have to ask these kinds of questions about other people who post there

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

Sadly I haven't been around in a while. Was that a thing?  A poor OW?   Well, let's look at what happened here. F6 did about $98M or so OW right?  Then F7 does $147M!  Crazy..  We knew at the time at least SOME of that had to do with Paul Walker's death. 

I've had this debate before. How much does Paul Walker mean to the Fast series. I felt he meant a lot, he had been in it from the start, even 2 Fast 2 Furious has kind of become a cult hit. It's on Netflix and cable and has that funny dynamic between he and Tyrese and Walker talkin like a gangsta.  It didn't do poorly at the box office either. 

I think Paul Walker meant a lot and people wanted to see him one last time and see how they'd handle the franchise without him, how they'd end it, how they completed it etc... 

I look at the F8 numbers and I don't think it's a poor #.  I think order has been restored basically.  F7 was the absolute peak.  Even the Marvel movies are having issues increasing domestic and WW numbers right, I'm talking since Avengers and Iron Man 3 we've seen drops with Age of Ultron and also Civil War.

The Fast series is in great shape, they'll just need to keep expanding the worldwide numbers to make up for people here maybe getting worn out on it.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Sadly I haven't been around in a while. Was that a thing?  A poor OW?   Well, let's look at what happened here. F6 did about $98M or so OW right?  Then F7 does $147M!  Crazy..  We knew at the time at least SOME of that had to do with Paul Walker's death. 

I've had this debate before. How much does Paul Walker mean to the Fast series. I felt he meant a lot, he had been in it from the start, even 2 Fast 2 Furious has kind of become a cult hit. It's on Netflix and cable and has that funny dynamic between he and Tyrese and Walker talkin like a gangsta.  It didn't do poorly at the box office either. 

I think Paul Walker meant a lot and people wanted to see him one last time and see how they'd handle the franchise without him, how they'd end it, how they completed it etc... 

I look at the F8 numbers and I don't think it's a poor #.  I think order has been restored basically.  F7 was the absolute peak.  Even the Marvel movies are having issues increasing domestic and WW numbers right, I'm talking since Avengers and Iron Man 3 we've seen drops with Age of Ultron and also Civil War.

The Fast series is in great shape, they'll just need to keep expanding the worldwide numbers to make up for people here maybe getting worn out on it.

Basically, people here are complaining because it's a drop from 7 in the US (which overperformed due to several abnormal factors). No one cares if it gets roughly Logan BO in the US if it does 1 billion (or nearly) worldwide, and the studio will still reap giant profits. 

8th Update, Final: Universal’s final figures for F. Gary Gray’s The Fate of the Furious$532M worldwide debut, whipping Star Wars: The Force Awakens‘ $529M. Broken out that’s $433.2M abroad, beating Jurassic World‘s $316.7M previous foreign record launch, and $98.8M. Thanks to Fate, Uni speeds past the billion mark at the international B.O., making it the second studio to reach that milestone in 2017. That’s 11 years in a row for Uni grossing $1 billion abroad, and it’s the second fastest in regards to getting there after 2015.

• Like 1

Fast and Furious 7 was the Avengers of the series, regarding domestic numbers. It's also the Skyfall of the series.

Fate of the Furious is either The Spectre of the series or the AOU of the series. It'll make considerably less domestic than the previous movie.

In no way F8's opening can be considered disappointing, but people are only kidding themselves if they say they weren't expecting higher numbers for this movie. Thing is, the budgets keep increasing and increasing. This one had a 250 million budget plus tons of millions spent for marketing and promotion. So, the real budget might damn well be 400 million or even more.

They just should keep these budgets in check and avoid inflating the productions. Perhaps Vin should let go his ego a bit. So, if the budget is 250 million and Fate of the Furious performs like FF 6, the movie might end its domestic run with less than 240 million. That's disappointing, despite huge numbers overseas.

Overseas numbers are important, but let's not forget that producers usually keep 25% from China, maybe 40% from the rest and about 50% from domestic grosses. Domestic grosses are important, because that's where producers get the higher ammount of money. So, this movie probably still has a long way until it makes a profit. We're dealing with a movie that is more expensive than a lot of Marvel movies, by the way. This movie is more expensive than the first Avengers movie, lol.

Did I say this movie might drop more than 60% for its second weekend? No? Yeah, that may happen just like every movie of the series ( minus the first one ). Did I say GOTG 2 is coming next, both domestic and overseas? It's gonna be released in less than 10 days here. So, it'll cut a lot of legs and engines from FF8. 

So, that's it. Movie was great and fun, could have made better numbers domestic, it's performing great overseas, but it'll drop hard like previous movies. 

• Like 6

I'm not complaining or anything, I just can't believe that F8 fell that much from F7, even with the Paul Walker death taken into account. I was thinking $110M+.

Like I said before though, it's the international box office that will be fun to follow with this one. As expected, it's massive! I just wonder what the drops will be like internationally.

I also wonder about the OS total minus China. F7 did about $773M in that regard. What do you guys think we're looking at this time around? Again, talking about internationally MINUS CHINA.

2 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Fast and Furious 7 was the Avengers of the series, regarding domestic numbers. It's also the Skyfall of the series.

Fate of the Furious is either The Spectre of the series or the AOU of the series. It'll make considerably less domestic than the previous movie.

In no way F8's opening can be considered disappointing, but people are only kidding themselves if they say they weren't expecting higher numbers for this movie. Thing is, the budgets keep increasing and increasing. This one had a 250 million budget plus tons of millions spent for marketing and promotion. So, the real budget might damn well be 400 million or even more.

They just should keep these budgets in check and avoid inflating the productions. Perhaps Vin should let go his ego a bit. So, if the budget is 250 million and Fate of the Furious performs like FF 6, the movie might end its domestic run with less than 240 million. That's disappointing, despite huge numbers overseas.

Overseas numbers are important, but let's not forget that producers usually keep 25% from China, maybe 40% from the rest and about 50% from domestic grosses. Domestic grosses are important, because that's where producers get the higher ammount of money. So, this movie probably still has a long way until it makes a profit. We're dealing with a movie that is more expensive than a lot of Marvel movies, by the way. This movie is more expensive than the first Avengers movie, lol.

Did I say this movie might drop more than 60% for its second weekend? No? Yeah, that may happen just like every movie of the series ( minus the first one ). Did I say GOTG 2 is coming next, both domestic and overseas? It's gonna be released in less than 10 days here. So, it'll cut a lot of legs and engines from FF8. 

So, that's it. Movie was great and fun, could have made better numbers domestic, it's performing great overseas, but it'll drop hard like previous movies. 

Budget at 250 seems low.I think it reached 300.

2 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Yep, pretty much. It's not a crime at all to suggest that this movies domestic opening weekend was a bit of a disappointment. Universal and the producers were undoubtedly hoping for more. At least $110M and up to $120M like it was tracking for.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Quick question about the Chinese box office: are "ticketing fees" included in the official gross figures? If so, China's opening weekend was $195.5M. If not, $183.7M.

Yes, they are included.

It's just film studios don't get any out of these.

They are not  included in their 25 percent revenue-sharing agreement. 

China box office growth slowed down a bit, they need to find ways to make the numbers look better.