Eevin

A Really Boring Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: F8 38.7M | Boss Baby 12.8M | Beauty and the Beast 10M | everything else bombing terribly

May 2017 predictions:

GV2: $140M/$350M

KA: $25M/$70M

Snatched: $25M/$75M

Alien: $45M/$100M

Pirates: $85M (3 Day)/$110M (4 Day) /$250M 

Baywatch: $35M (3 Day)/$55M (5 Day)/$130M

• Like 1

Just don't get the Guardians predicts. Thor 3 only needs a $15m increase for $100m, yet many think that's unachievable. Yet a $50M+ increase for Guardians is in the cards? I'd love to be proven wrong, but I just can't see it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Just don't get the Guardians predicts. Thor 3 only needs a $15m increase for $100m, yet many think that's unachievable. Yet a $50M+ increase for Guardians is in the cards? I'd love to be proven wrong, but I just can't see it.

reminds me of Iron Man 2 which even trackers and the studio itself thought it would break the opening weekend record

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

reminds me of Iron Man 2 which even trackers and the studio itself thought it would break the opening weekend record

I remember that. There were $140-150m predicts thrown all over BOM. To be fair, it looked like a good bet back then, but even that should teach us a lesson. Guardians 2 should be better than IM2, but that doesn't matter for OW. I'm not as hyped as I should be for G2, but I know it'll still do rounds. But really, going from $94m to $150m+ on OW? That's just too high for my confidence.

I never claimed that Kong the movie itself was "racist", I swear you guys are twisting my words to extent of complete absurdity. I said that people who only celebrated Brie's "beauty" (and let's be honest, she's only considered "beautiful" to make basic-looking average white women/men with no significant features to feel good about themselves and their bodies) were ignorant and problematic, especially when Jing is arguably the best-looking female that Asia as entire continent has currently to offer. Please guys, I don't want to see the influx of snide comments following my statement so keep it cute or put it on mute.

1 hour ago, jandrew said:

I can't speak to Thor's expected numbers but if you mean an increase from Thor 2, by the time it came out it was a known quantity.  GOTG on the other hand was an IP few knew (I sure had never heard of it) and frankly the trailers with the talking tree and animated raccoon looked idiotic to me.  I finally went to see it because several friends told me it was really good -- and then I loved it.  So I think people like me are a built in increase for the second movie, since I'm looking forward to this one in a way I never was for the first one.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

I never claimed that Kong the movie itself was "racist", I swear you guys are twisting my words to extent of complete absurdity. I said that people who only celebrated Brie's "beauty" (and let's be honest, she's only considered "beautiful" to make basic-looking average white women/men with no significant features to feel good about themselves and their bodies) were ignorant and problematic, especially when Jing is arguably the best-looking female that Asia as entire continent has currently to offer. Please guys, I don't want to see the influx of snide comments following my statement so keep it cute or put it on mute.

only issue is that Beauty is subjective to the individual. You (as do others, so it's not just you) make broad sweeping statements and then get upset when others don't agree, or criticize your comments. For most North American men Brie is quite beautiful in a traditional anglo-saxon way. It's just what it is. (note I am not commenting on the beauty part, havent seen the film, can't compare and wont.)

You would be much happier around here if you had a thicker skin - that's not ragging on you, I am just telling you that to be around here you need to back off on the over-sensitivity. Otherwise it gets you into trouble as several of our "personalities" can attest too.

one final note - while your comments about Kong may not have been racist in tone, your whole posting body up to this point would suggest your feelings otherwise - and so right or wrong the other members here read their opinions of your past posts into whatever you are currently saying. I didn't see it as racist, but then I ignore most of what is not box-office related anyway.

We would like you to be a positive and contributing member to the forum - just going to have to smooth over some the rough seas that your Get Out fanboying has caused.

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

I said that people who only celebrated Brie's "beauty" (and let's be honest, she's only considered "beautiful" to make basic-looking average white women/men with no significant features to feel good about themselves and their bodies) were ignorant and problematic, especially when Jing is arguably the best-looking female that Asia as entire continent has currently to offer.

What the fuck...

• Like 10

I'm trying to think of a response but that is so dismissive and toxic.

It's almost as if....people can be considered beautiful based off opinion

Edited by franfar

6 minutes ago, trifle said:

I can't speak to Thor's expected numbers but if you mean an increase from Thor 2, by the time it came out it was a known quantity.  GOTG on the other hand was an IP few knew (I sure had never heard of it) and frankly the trailers with the talking tree and animated raccoon looked idiotic to me.  I finally went to see it because several friends told me it was really good -- and then I loved it.  So I think people like me are a built in increase for the second movie, since I'm looking forward to this one in a way I never was for the first one.

That shouldn't matter. G2 will have all summer to make money, I can't see an extra $60 million dollars worth of people suddenly wanting to see this one on OW. That's just unprecedented. That's a very rare sight this decade.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

I said that people who only celebrated Brie's "beauty" (and let's be honest, she's only considered "beautiful" to make basic-looking average white women/men with no significant features to feel good about themselves and their bodies) were ignorant and problematic

wat

Complete dismissal of others opinions on beauty and some implicit body-shaming to boot. You want to talk ignorant and problematic?

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, jandrew said:

That shouldn't matter. G2 will have all summer to make money, I can't see an extra $60 million dollars worth of people suddenly wanting to see this one on OW. That's just unprecedented. That's a very rare sight this decade.

I honestly can't predict the amount of the bump, but since it was unknown and started slow then was popular, I do see a rationale for it going up a greater percentage OW than Thor 3 from Thor 2.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1