Alli

Weekend thread: GOTG2 63 m | Snatched 17.5 mi | King Arthur 14.7 m

45 minutes ago, HenryjRhetorics said:

I think when people find a new trending genre that's worthy to replace it. Til then, Disney and WB are gonna keep shoving CBM down our throats.

Sent from my E6533 using Tapatalk

Logan - 88 m OW

GotG2 - 147 m OW

Wonder Woman - 100+ m OW (projected)

Yeah the studios should shelve these projects and completely ignore the massive demand.

They can make more movies like Snatched, King Arthur and The Circle.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, GiantCALBears said:

Not to mention these cross overs are getting stupid and repetitive, it's a pretty strong indication the story is not where it needs to be. Stop turning every MCU film into a mini Avengers/Civil War. 

I disagree strongly.

Stupid and repetitive to me is drawing an imaginary line between "team films" and "solo films".   It certainly makes more sense to mix and match various characters to keep things fresh.   It opens up wildly different story possibilities.   I'm more interested in the Thor movie because they aren't quarantining the characters away from each other.

• Like 4

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Harpospoke said:

I disagree strongly.

Stupid and repetitive to me is drawing an imaginary line between "team films" and "solo films".   It certainly makes more sense to mix and match various characters to keep things fresh.   It opens up wildly different story possibilities.   I'm more interested in the Thor movie because they aren't quarantining the characters away from each other.

I don't mind having cross-overs if it makes sense story wise. I don't want them to force a cross-over just for money.

• Like 3

Logan - 88 m OW
GotG2 - 147 m OW
Wonder Woman - 100+ m OW (projected)

Yeah the studios should shelve these projects and completely ignore the massive demand.

They can make more movies like Snatched, King Arthur and The Circle.

The context of the conversation was about having a barrage of CBM movies and nothing about ignoring its massive demand. SMH.

Yeah sure, CBMs are box office beasts for a decade now and maybe even for another decade I guess, but are you not curious or once considered thinking about what would be the next 'worthy' replacement for these movies as was the whole point of my post? The Golden Era of CBM Blockbusters does sound great so I get it. [emoji5]

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, James said:

You can mark my words: Pirates will make around 600m from US+China+Japan alone. 400m from the rest of the world won't be that hard. Also, we've got to a point where global audiences dictate the taste. Just look at FF, TF, even HP/Fantastic Beasts. Nowadays, unless we talk SW, there is no other franchise that can survive without OS grosses. I think we should try to compare declining between movies from a WW perspective. Overall, the huge chunk of money coming from OS will render a DOM underperformance irrelevant anyway.

Speaking of, I am really curious about what SW8 will make seeing how that first teaser/trailer pretty much failed to attract much attention. I mean, it will definitely win the year WW, but I am thinking a big drop from SW7 is in store. Maybe smth like 1.3B WW.

And regarding GotG, someone was saying 900-950m WW. Just how? At this point even 850m is difficult.

For TLJ to only make $1.3 billion worldwide would basically require it to make less domestically than RO (or only slightly more). How you envision that happening is something I'd like to see...

• Like 3

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, HenryjRhetorics said:

The context of the conversation was about having a barrage of CBM movies and nothing about ignoring its massive demand. SMH.

Yeah sure, CBMs are box office beasts for a decade now and maybe even for another decade I guess, but are you not curious or once considered thinking about what would be the next 'worthy' replacement for these movies as was the whole point of my post? The Golden Era of CBM Blockbusters does sound great so I get it. emoji5.png

What exactly did CBMs replace? There was no point in time where the GA was like "we're tired of genre [x] let's replace it with genre [z]."

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

What exactly did CBMs replace? There was no point in time where the GA was like "we're tired of genre [x] let's replace it with genre [z]."

Nothing really, the difference is that other trends did not take off. Disaster movies, 300 knock offs, etc.

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, LaughingEvans said:

Nothing really, the difference is that other trends did not take off. Disaster movies, 300 knock offs, etc.

Disaster movies did well for a while? Heck the last real big one (San Andreas) did well and it wasn't a long time ago.

300 knock-offs weren't about genre but style so it doesn't really count? Although isn't 300 a CBM

CBMs will likely continue to survive because there really aren't that many in a year (over 100 wide releases by studios, less than 10 are CBMs) and the fact that there is huge variety between them. Disaster movies are pretty much the same-one CBM can be vastly different than another CBM.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

they replaced the mid level movie. nowadays it's 300M budget superhero movies.

The mid-level movie died due to rising marketing costs and the increasing importance of the international market.

• Like 1

The Last Jedi can't really make below $1.4B

TFA made 1150 OS, TLJ won't suddenly drop to like 500, this isn't Rogue One (even with Exchange rate drops)

It also won't drop to Rogue One levels domestically. Everyone wants to know what happens next, especially with Luke around

Floor to me is $650M DOM and $750M OS

My prediction - $230M OW x 3.50 = $800M DOM + $900M OS for $1.7B WW

• Like 1

• Community Manager
6 minutes ago, Alli said:

they replaced the mid level movie. nowadays it's 300M budget superhero movies.

The mid-level movie was dying anyways. CBMs had nothing to do with that especially since some of them are mid-level movies themselves.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, James said:

You can mark my words: Pirates will make around 600m from US+China+Japan alone. 400m from the rest of the world won't be that hard. Also, we've got to a point where global audiences dictate the taste. Just look at FF, TF, even HP/Fantastic Beasts. Nowadays, unless we talk SW, there is no other franchise that can survive without OS grosses. I think we should try to compare declining between movies from a WW perspective. Overall, the huge chunk of money coming from OS will render a DOM underperformance irrelevant anyway.

Speaking of, I am really curious about what SW8 will make seeing how that first teaser/trailer pretty much failed to attract much attention. I mean, it will definitely win the year WW, but I am thinking a big drop from SW7 is in store. Maybe smth like 1.3B WW.

And regarding GotG, someone was saying 900-950m WW. Just how? At this point even 850m is difficult.

Once again you are talking out of your butt. :)

There hasnt been a POTC in 6 years. So you really have no idea what is going to make in any market right now. People don't really care about Johnny Depp anymore. 2011 might as we be 1911.

As for the teaser trailer for Star Wars not really catching on? Really James? I do agree it's obviously going to drop from the first one.... I don't think it's going to drop 700 million dollars to 1.3 billion.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Disaster movies did well for a while? Heck the last real big one (San Andreas) did well and it wasn't a long time ago.

300 knock-offs weren't about genre but style so it doesn't really count? Although isn't 300 a CBM

CBMs will likely continue to survive because there really aren't that many in a year (over 100 wide releases by studios, less than 10 are CBMs) and the fact that there is huge variety between them. Disaster movies are pretty much the same-one CBM can be vastly different than another CBM.

really now? they are all the same