grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

6 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Haha I meant Dunkirk 

Right now, both locals are only doing a single screen...I'll check their sales when I get a chance...

Now, as I posted elsewhere, they make last minute changes based on sales for the movies, so if they add to these original screens with extra showings or a full extra screen, that's a good sign:)...but we'll see how it goes...

For the record, they both have Valerian on a single split screen (2d/3d) and Girls Trip also on a single screen...for now...

14 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Haha I meant Dunkirk 

To answer your question excel1, not too well at my theater (North Shore Cinema), it's still early but for Thursday night, it's sold 10 tickets in total, with all previews in our PLF. In comparison, with no PLF Valerian has sold 12, and Girl's Trip has sold more than both of them combined in the 7:00 showing with 36, and 44 total seats despite smaller auditoriums and less showings than both (V and D has 3 vs GT 2).

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

I expect presales for Dunkirk to look bad in anything outside of IMAX and maybe 70mm screenings. If they don't have IMAX, it's probably not looking great.

Thursday night shows look pretty solid in the places I checked, but I expect that. More curious how Friday goes.

every tom cruise movie since war of the worlds has been the real test for tom cruise and every single one ends up okay or better when all is said and done.

Tom Cruise is one of the few actors alive who can bring in a quarter of a billion dollars for a sci-fi film. Or any film for that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MrPink said:

I expect presales for Dunkirk to look bad in anything outside of IMAX and maybe 70mm screenings. If they don't have IMAX, it's probably not looking great.

Thursday night shows look pretty solid in the places I checked, but I expect that. More curious how Friday goes.

Yeah, this is gonna be the definition of backloaded.

Heading into its second weekend against 20th Century Fox’s War for The Planet of the Apes, Homecoming is expected to ease 55%-57% for $50M-$53M; an average decline for a superhero tentpole that has opened strongly. Tracking currently has Apes notching a No. 1 rank in the high $50Ms to low $60Ms.

Doubtful..but walks up should help

If homecoming managed to drop to above $50m while apes could make to open to $65m or more, this will be a very rare occasion that two live action gross more than $50m in one weekend, hardly find any others pair of live action film that both gross more than $50m in one weekend

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

If homecoming managed to drop to above $50m while apes could make to open to $65m or more, this will be a very rare occasion that two live action gross more than $50m in one weekend, hardly find any others pair of live action film that both gross more than $50m in one weekend

As far as I could find, it's only occurred two weekends for 2 live action films, one was Avatar's second weekend when Sherlock Holmes opened to $50m+, then the second is Iron man 3's second weekend when The Great Gatsby opened to just a smidge over $50m. 

If you leap in animation, you have a couple more including shrek 2's second weekend and Inside Out OW/Jurassic World 2nd's.

so having only happened at end of 2009, midway through 2013, and now potentially midway through 2017. Eerily consistent over the years (roughly every 4 years)

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

As far as I could find, it's only occurred two weekends for 2 live action films, one was Avatar's second weekend when Sherlock Holmes opened to $50m+, then the second is Iron man 3's second weekend when The Great Gatsby opened to just a smidge over $50m. 

If you leap in animation, you have a couple more including shrek 2's second weekend and Inside Out OW/Jurassic World 2nd's.

so having only happened at end of 2009, midway through 2013, and now potentially midway through 2017. Eerily consistent over the years (roughly every 4 years)

And if it happens then for live action movies all 3 will involve RDJ :D

• Like 1

On 7/4/2017 at 6:57 PM, WrathOfHan said:

Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie, The Mummy, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, and Rough Night are gone.

Spider-Man: Homecoming: 14 (5 2D/9 3D; Biggest, 2nd Biggest, and Average)

Despicable Me 3: 17 (Up 2; 8 2D/9 3D; 2nd Biggest, Average, and 4th Smallest) (Note that DM3 has the 2nd Biggest during the day and SMH at night)

The House: 6 (Up 1; 2nd Smallest)

47 Meters Down: 5 (Flat; 3rd Smallest)

Baby Driver: 5 (Flat; Average)

Cars 3: 5 (Down 2 and lost 3D; Average)

Transformers: The Last Knight: 5 (Down 4; 3 2D/2 3D; Smallest)

Wonder Woman: 5 (Flat; Average)

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):

Hide contents

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

47 Meters Down and The House are gone.

War for the Planet of the Apes: 13 (6 2D/7 3D; Biggest, Average, and 4th Smallest)

The Big Sick: 5 (Average)

Wish Upon: 5 (Average)

Spider-Man: Homecoming: 13 (Down 1; 5 2D/8 3D; 2nd Biggest, Average, and Smallest)

Despicable Me 3: 6 (Down 11; 4 2D/2 3D; Average)

Baby Driver: 5 (Flat; 2nd Smallest)

Wonder Woman: 5 (Flat; Average)

Transformers: The Last Knight: 3 (Down 2 and lost 3D; 3rd Smallest)

Cars 3: 2 (Down 3; 3rd Smallest and Smallest)

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):

Spoiler

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

• Like 5