grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

13 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Which got great reviews, and the plot looked fun from the trailers. Emoji is keeping an embargo till Friday apparently, so not expecting much there tbh, and the trailer makes it look like the abandoned child of WiR and Inside Out

Both studios projecting 20M for the weekend.

Too high for Atomic Blonde.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The Emoji movie marketing campaign is basically this

f9838656-7f36-4059-b7ac-15811e703aad.jpg

It's like the studio is daring you to embarass yourself when you walk up to the counter and say "One for the Emoji movie, yes the one with the poop on the poster"

Well, the-emoji-movie-poster-poop-patrick-stew

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The best part of Emoji's campaign is how Jacksfilms was mocking Sony for MONTHS and they invited him to the goddamn premiere :rofl: Everyone is laughing at you Sony, not with you.

He's too far into the joke.  It's become scary.

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

SPA is having a bad year, their only hope is The Star and that won't do more than $50-60m tops domestically. 

2018 is the true test. Any thoughts on their 2018 slate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

The best part of Emoji's campaign is how Jacksfilms was mocking Sony for MONTHS and they invited him to the goddamn premiere :rofl: Everyone is laughing at you Sony, not with you.

Ten bucks his frame by frame trailer analysis is better than the actual movie. 

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

2018 is the true test. Any thoughts on their 2018 slate.

Spider-Man will be successful but the rest, modest hits at best, I think HT3 will see a decline and Goosebumps 2 probably won't do much more than the first, not sure on Peter Rabbit. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Spider-Man will be successful but the rest, modest hits at best, I think HT3 will see a decline and Goosebumps 2 probably won't do much more than the first, not sure on Peter Rabbit. 

Agreed. I think Spider-Man has a chance to do $170M domestic and become SPA's highest grossing animated movie domestically. Peter Rabbit is a toss up as family movies do well in February and even though it opens a week before Early Man, it won't do much anyway.

• Like 1

Tomato Law The Box Office Gods gave Sony two smash hits with Baby Driver and Spider-Man. Now they are back to trolling them with Emoji and Dark Tower. Flatliners, Only the Brave, and The Star are gonna bomb hard too.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Literally the only good thing about the ad campaign is that Jacksfilms has become more relevant because of it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think Emoji may very well surprise. BOT is used to underpredict kids movies because the assessment comes from 30 year old men not taking into account that the target audience is 10 year olds.

I remember creating the Boss Baby OVER 150m dom, being more confident than ever for the club and yet very very few joined.

Emoji will benefit from the almost non-existent family competition and If it ends up being funny (not good, who gives a shit about reviews), I think it will end up with around 130m.

Edited by FantasticBeasts
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I think Emoji may very well surprise. BOT is used to underpredict kids movies because the assessment comes from 30 year old men not taking into account that the target audience is 10 year olds.

I remember creating the Boss Baby OVER 150m dom, being more confident than ever for the club and yet very very few joined.

Emoji will benefit from the almost non-existent family competition and If it ends up being funny (not good, who gives a shit about reviews), I think it will end up with around 130m.

Guy's got a point. 

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Tomato Law The Box Office Gods gave Sony two smash hits with Baby Driver and Spider-Man. Now they are back to trolling them with Emoji and Dark Tower. Flatliners, Only the Brave, and The Star are gonna bomb hard too.

Flatliners and The Star are both very low budget and Only the Brave was a Sony acquisition from Lionsgate and wasn't produced under their umbrella, so they'll probably be fine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Jumanji will save them.

• Like 1