grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Food for thought, there are people waiting for reviews and reception before buying tickets and...this film may be more walkup friendly seeing that this is the most whimsical and lighthearted of the DCEU so far.

So I still am saying 24M preview, 76M OD, 175.178 OW

1 minute ago, raegr said:

Food for thought, there are people waiting for reviews and reception before buying tickets and...this film may be more walkup friendly seeing that this is the most whimsical and lighthearted of the DCEU so far.

So I still am saying 24M preview, 76M OD, 175.178 OW

It’s a teamup movie. I doubt this’ll be extremely walkup friendly besides the DC fanbase tend to be more presales heavy.

Still following my gut. The past DC films have been front loaded due to bad WoM thus causing a weak internal multiplier. WW and Marvel films hold better because their presales are huge but they still manage to get the GA and families on board. JL will not perform like a Zack Snyder film, it will behave as a Marvel/WW film because of better reviews and being more family friendly.

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Both those number were rounded up estimate I imagine, but it would be a 87.5% of GotG.

146m * 0.87 = 114.61m (87.5% of Guardian 2)

121m * 1.25 = 150m (25% above thor 3)

Ragnarok was consistently between (65-70)% range of Vol 2 before the Wednesday of it's release. So JL being 25% ahead of Thor 3 means it's currently pacing at around 128 million.

Being ahead of BvS but trailing Guardian 2 / just 25% above Thor 3 seem to show that online pre-sale ticket got more popular like Tele said.

But do we know where Vol 2 was 9 days before it's release?? Because we're comparing Vol 2's final pre-sales with JL's pre-sales 9 days out, no??.

We have real time data against Ragnarok and BvS from Grim22's latest update. JL is pacing ahead of BvS and the latter was 2nd only to CW in terms of pre-sales (92% of CW's final pre-sales). So it's seems like a good number this far out.

5 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

But do we know where Vol 2 was 9 days before it's release?? Because we're comparing Vol 2's final pre-sales with JL's pre-sales 9 days out, no??.

No. Thor was 70% of what GotG2 was at the same point. That’s how they’ve been compared. So JL is also being compared to GotG2’s presales at similar points before release. 

Edited by Deja23
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

We're all sleeping on Wonder. It's been popping up semi regularly on Pulse for a few weeks now, and that Deep Wang number is strong as hell.

Anecdotal, but while I was looking at the tickets sold at my theater last night, the Friday 6:30 PM showing had 74 out of 96 tickets sold, only barely behind the Justice League 7:30 PM showing. Saturday and Sunday look decent as well.

• Astonished 1

48 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Posting during my vacation as Deep Wang provided an update today:

- JL is ahead of BvS and about 25% ahead of where Thor was at the same point in time

- Orient Express is fine I guess, higher than American Assassin

- Daddy's Home 2 is bad, about a fourth of Bad Moms 2 and less than half of Orient Express

- Wonder is the same gross number as Orient Express but has a week to go

- Roman Israel has sold 1 ticket

Alright, back to the pool. See you guys Thursday.

One Question ,Why is it you and @EmpireCity isn’t on the same page about JL?

Hes saying be worried about JL presales which indicates it’s doing bad and then you post this which means it’s doing good.

What is gong on?

1 minute ago, Brainiac5 said:

Hes saying be worried about JL presales which indicates it’s doing bad and then you post this which means it’s doing good.

What is gong on?

Both Wang and EC have different sources. Both are very strong but different.

1 minute ago, Brainiac5 said:

What is gong on?

You worry too much. 

Buddy, JL will smash open BVS’ ow

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RRA said:

You worry too much. 

Buddy, JL will smash open BVS’ ow

Not trying to worry im just wondering who’s info I should follow.

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Both Wang and EC have different sources. Both are very strong but different.

Vastly different it seems.

8 minutes ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

Thor did 8.2M on Monday. Is that good? Great?

Wrong thread for this. There already is a Monday thread. This thread is not for numbers but for buzz and tracking

4 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

What is gong on?

Don't know what data EmpireCity sees or has access to. But the other person's number are from a specific source that is only a part of the whole. It could be likely that they are both looking at different sources. And being worried about is subjective. Right now the PS suggest anywhere from 127 to 153 for JL OW based on comparisons to Guardians/Thor.

To a person expecting 170-190 or more that could be worrying. To a person expecting 140-150 that seems just fine. 

48 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

We're all sleeping on Wonder. It's been popping up semi regularly on Pulse for a few weeks now, and that Deep Wang number is strong as hell.

My first reaction was "NY best seller, I'm putting in my top 15".

Then I saw the cast and was like "Owen Wilson and Julia Roberts are box office poison, screw that".

Should've went with my gut. :kitschjob:

• Sad 1

Just now, grey ghost said:

My first reaction was "NY best seller, I'm putting in my top 15".

Then I saw the cast and was like "Owen Wilson and Julia Roberts are box office poison, screw that".

Should've went with my gut. :kitschjob:

Wonder wasn't even one of the things I was considering for my 15th spot, but it looks like it'll get in with ease :hahaha::whosad: 

• Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, ZeeSoh said:

Wrong thread for this. There already is a Monday thread. This thread is not for numbers but for buzz and tracking

Don't know what data EmpireCity sees or has access to. But the other person's number are from a specific source that is only a part of the whole. It could be likely that they are both looking at different sources. And being worried about is subjective. Right now the PS suggest anywhere from 127 to 153 for JL OW based on comparisons to Guardians/Thor.

To a person expecting 170-190 or more that could be worrying. To a person expecting 140-150 that seems just fine. 

So in other words @Grimm22 has the more accurate info to use?