grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

4 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Super hero fatigue

:ph34r:

:insane:

When Ant-Man opens to “only” $90M, there’s going to be articles talking about super hero fatigue. Bet on it.

There were was article from Indie Wire talking about super hero fatigue after Deadpool 2 opened to “only” $125M 

:sparta:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

When Ant-Man opens to “only” $90M, there’s going to be articles talking about super hero fatigue. Bet on it.

There were was article from Indie Wire talking about super hero fatigue after Deadpool 2 opened to “only” $125M 

:sparta:

When someone calls 125 mln a sign of "fatigue" it just shows how strong SH genre is.

• Thanks 1

Good news is that AM&W is doing pretty well on its OD in HK, despite so-so pre-sales. It seems like people would still go to see the movie in theaters, but don't feel the need to buy tickets in advance. After all it is not an event movie like BP or IW.

Hope it does the same domestically.

• Like 2

I imagine Disney will be happy with $90m+ OW considering AMTW is essentially a palate cleanser for Marvel and it's still an increase from the first film. OS is trickier to predict but I think an increase is likely there too.

2 minutes ago, LeoC said:

Good news is that AM&W is doing pretty well on its OD in HK, despite so-so pre-sales. It seems like people would still go to see the movie in theaters, but don't feel the need to buy tickets in advance. After all it is not an event movie like BP or IW.

Hope it does the same domestically.

It also did amazing on its od in S.Korea , over double the first and almost as good as Thor:r that opened on a holiday. Ant man was already quite strong overseas and the signs for the second film look good thus far.

1. Ant-Man and the Wasp - $82,000,000
2. Incredibles 2 - $27,300,000  Total $500,000,000 (-41%)
3. Jurassic World - $27,200,000 Total $327,500,000 (-55%)
4. The First Purge - $19,000,000 Total $28,500,000 
5. Sicario: Day of the Soldado - $8,600,000 Total $35,600,000 (-55%)
6. Uncle Drew - $7,700,000 Total $30,800,000 (-50%)

https://pro.boxoffice.com/weekend-forecast-ant-man-wasp-first-purge/

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, YLF said:

I only checked a couple theaters but looks line the incredibles is getting the double feature treatment w/ ant-man. Not black panther.

It’s the most logical pairing though I would prefer BP , to get the prestigious 700 million, or IW to help a bit with its domestic take . Both films seem a bit heavy for pairing them with something like AATW.

I'm going to say 11.5 for Purge today, followed by 5 tomorrow and 20 for the weekend. No precedent, just pulling numbers out of thin air. But Han's theater's numbers are encouraging. 

• Like 2