grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Just took a theater/showing/complete sold out count.  Didn't check or update near sell-outs b/c gah just too much (and my hand is starting to cramp)

NYC + NJ Metro area.   Three more theaters added.  Someone might get their 900 showings...

AIW  (April 25 - 5pm WED)

Theaters: 59

Showings: 661

Reserved Seating: 380

Complete SOs: 115

Total SO's: 180 (Complete + Near)

AEG  (April 23 - 11pm TUES)

Theaters: 69

Showings: 847

Reserved Seating: 657

Complete SOs: 207

Total SO's: 334  (Complete + Near - Near not checked since April 11th)

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Can anyone confirm this?

Huh.... I mean locally it's probably needed since the Regals are lagging far behind the other theaters on the number of showings they have for EG..... but if it is true well 300mil could be the floor.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 8:17 PM, Thanos Legion said:

It was 1 and 2 :hahaha:  

17:00 Pacific 4/22/19 (End of Easter Monday) 

1	57.9%	Avengers: Endgame
2	7.2%	The Curse of La Llorona (17.1 adj)
3	6.2%	Shazam! (14.7 adj)
4	5.1%	Captain Marvel (12.1 adj)
5	4.3%	Breakthrough  (10.2 adj)

Jeez, we burned through a lot of pages in the last 24 hours guys. Anyway, looks like Endgame is selling a couple of tickets.     

CM/S at 82%   

Edit: Returning the adjusted (% of non-Endgame sales) figure so you can get a more reasonable picture of how holdovers are moving.

3 hours ago, FlashMaster659 said:

MT

Endgame - 55%

La Llorona - 7.3%              (16.2 adj) 

CM - 5.9%                         (13.1 adj)

Jersey (Telugu) - 5.4%     (12 adj)

Shazam! - 4.9%                 (10.9 adj)

Well we have a surprise entrant to the top 5 here (surprising to me at least, I know foreign movies sometimes overindex on MT but I don’t usually know what days they’ll show up). Endgame stays about flat, which is a bit of a bummer but no cause for alarm when the Monday presales were so huge and daily BO will probably be ~flat from yesterday.     

CM/S ratio from 82% to 120%, very curious how Tues actuals will go (and Wed, and Thurs...). CM’s Endgame boost would be the most exciting phenomenon of April to me if it weren’t for, y’know...

O-M-G!!!! 

Remember how I said the local drive-in wasn't having a double feature of Captain Marvel and Endgame?

Well they didn't have the FSS schedule up yet.  Turns out there WILL be a Double Feature for Endgame.

IT'S BEING PAIRED WITH DUMBO!!!!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: 

---

Okay, to be fair, as I check Sunday, they will have a Double Feature of CM/EG alongside Dumbo/EG.  I just find it hi-lair-i-ous that Dumbo of all films was getting the double feature treatment.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Can anyone confirm this?

Yep. For a 14-screen Regal near me, the only movies with showtimes throughout the day are Endgame, Llorona, Breakthrough, Kalank, Shazam, and Captain Marvel, with one or two showtimes for Penguins, After, Missing Link, Dumbo and Us in the morning and afternoon. The 22-screener has Endgame throughout the day, as well as Llorona, Breakthrough, Penguins, Little, Shazam, Dumbo, Us, and Captain Marvel. After, Hellboy, Missing Link, Pet Sematary, Unplanned, and Five Feet Apart only have one showtime in the early morning.

So yeah, when it comes to people who can't get into Endgame this weekend, don't be surprised if especially Shazam and Captain Marvel reap some of the benefits.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Huh.... I mean locally it's probably needed since the Regals are lagging far behind the other theaters on the number of showings they have for EG..... but if it is true well 300mil could be the floor.

True or not. 300 is floor.

You beat a Star Wars film by $70mn in pre-sale and won't beat FSS by $53mn?

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

O-M-G!!!! 

Remember how I said the local drive-in wasn't having a double feature of Captain Marvel and Endgame?

Well they didn't have the FSS schedule up yet.  Turns out there WILL be a Double Feature for Endgame.

IT'S BEING PAIRED WITH DUMBO!!!!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: 

---

Okay, to be fair, as I check Sunday, they will have a Double Feature of CM/EG alongside Dumbo/EG.  I just find it hi-lair-i-ous that Dumbo of all films was getting the double feature treatment.

Hey now, Dumbo has superpowers! 

dumbo-online-use-1074_040_cg_1065_v0204.

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

More importantly than the record breaking number of theaters EG is opening in I wonder how harsh the drops will be for others.

Looking at IW's OW, A Quiet Place and I Feel Pretty managed to drop sub-50%, while everything else fared poorly. AQP probably got boosted by WOM, as well as IW sellouts, while I Feel Pretty was counterprogramming. In that respect, Shazam and Breakthrough should hold similarly

And of course, Captain Marvel will get a boost from sellouts and double features. Dumbo too.

Running really behind on my daily report, but just got done compiling the FSS schedule for EG showings.

Fri:   522 showings [IW 391 FINAL |  EG exact: 428]

Sat:  518 showings [IW 389 FINAL | EG exact: 428]

Sun: 476 showings [IW 370 FINAL | EG exact: 393]

(EG exact being ONLY the exact same theaters in town)

It... It might still go up. 😬

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 3

My local Regal just opened the 8:20pm 2D when I wasn't looking some time Tues late night - it's already sold 151 out of 246 seat. 

They have two more late shaded ones yet to open on Thur  for a total of 22 showings.  (AIW ended with 20) They have room to add more since the latest so far is 1am.  They just added 7 more showings to Fri & Sat for a current total of 40 with Sun at 37.

So much counting....

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

My Regal is pulling Penguins this weekend.  It hasn’t even been out for 2 weeks!

I doubt Disney cares all that much since they've already decided future nature docs will go straight to Disney+