grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

The writer won the initial judgment. No way that goes unchallenged by the studio. Will be a while till F13 hits screens again.

In the end, Jason Voorhees was not killed by a teenage girl but by the greedy lawyers.

Meanwhile Freddy Krueger is still in limbo until the studios get to the next remake.

Edited by Mojoguy

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

That was fixed a couple of weeks ago I think.

30 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The writer won the initial judgment. No way that goes unchallenged by the studio. Will be a while till F13 hits screens again.

Speaking of great timing: https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3528166/friday-13th-legal-battle-drags-sean-cunningham-filed-notice-appeal/

Earlier this month, Friday the 13th writer Victor Miller won a lengthy legal battle against director Sean Cunningham and his Horror, Inc., with the judge ruling that Miller is indeed entitled to ownership rights in regards to the original film’s script. What this means for the character of adult Jason Voorhees, who didn’t actually appear until the sequels were made, remains to be seen, but it was a big victory for Miller that Cunningham had a limited amount of time to respond to. Horror, Inc. could either settle with Miller or appeal the ruling.

As entertainment lawyer/Friday the 13th Part III star Larry Zerner recently explained, “So, what happens next? Horror Inc. could appeal, but that will be at least 2 and more likely 3-4 years of waiting for a resolution. Also, IMHO, the chance of Horror winning on appeal is poor. If Horror doesn’t appeal, then it has to make a deal with Victor in order to make a new movie. Victor only owns the U.S. rights to the original movie. Horror owns the foreign rights to the first movie and to all the other movies.”

He added, Hopefully, Victor and Sean will work something out and get moving on a new F13 movie ASAP.

Looks like at least a few more years in limbo for Jason

Halloween could possibly double up Friday the 13th remake and triple up Nightmare on Elm Street and Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake. That's insane. Michael Myers is an iconic character, but so are those other characters. Why does Halloween get an opening SO far above other horror icons? The adjusted numbers from past movies, H20, the remakes...the data doesn't show it as any bigger. Neither do merch sales or prominence in Halloween event marketing. Is it because it's a direct sequel? Is it because of reviews? Is it just a perfect conflation of release date/cast/character? Or is Michael Myers just intrinsically more iconic, even if it hasn't been measured empirically? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Halloween could possibly double up Friday the 13th remake and triple up Nightmare on Elm Street and Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake. That's insane. Michael Myers is an iconic character, but so are those other characters. Why does Halloween get an opening SO far above other horror icons? The adjusted numbers from past movies, H20, the remakes...the data doesn't show it as any bigger. Neither do merch sales or prominence in Halloween event marketing. Is it because it's a direct sequel? Is it because of reviews? Is it just a perfect conflation of release date/cast/character? Or is Michael Myers just intrinsically more iconic, even if it hasn't been measured empirically? 

A mixture of a few things - the hot streak that horror is on this year, Jamie Lee Curtis returning and the marketing/quality of the movie (along with the release date). Halloween already did great numbers once before using the exact same tactic with H20.

The issue for Texas Chainsaw or Friday the 13th is that they don't have the iconic foil to the monster that Halloween has with Jamie Lee Curtis, and they definitely lucked out that she had a long and respected career.

I think, if New Line can get Robert Englund and Heather Langenkamp back together for one last Elm Street movie, that one can do big bucks as well. It's the only other franchise to have a somewhat iconic foil to the villain, and an iconic actor playing the villain as well. In fact, I won't be surprised if we get an announcement for a new Nightmare movie after this weekend.

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

A mixture of a few things - the hot streak that horror is on this year, Jamie Lee Curtis returning and the marketing/quality of the movie (along with the release date). Halloween already did great numbers once before using the exact same tactic with H20.

The issue for Texas Chainsaw or Friday the 13th is that they don't have the iconic foil to the monster that Halloween has with Jamie Lee Curtis, and they definitely lucked out that she had a long and respected career.

I think, if New Line can get Robert Englund and Heather Langenkamp back together for one last Elm Street movie, that one can do big bucks as well. It's the only other franchise to have a somewhat iconic foil to the villain, and an iconic actor playing the villain as well. In fact, I won't be surprised if we get an announcement for a new Nightmare movie after this weekend.

I do agree with the iconic foil thing, but at the same time....even H20 only did 31.5m adjusted OW, and was number three on its opening weekend! That's a big time jump up. Horror being more of a mainstream money making machine than ever is a good reason, though. Well-reviewed horrors (or even poorly reviewed horrors like the Nun) are right behind superhero movies at this point in the "make tons of guaranteed money and establish a franchise" rankings.

10 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

This. Like IT last year, i think its a perfect storm. @Dr Loomis baumerlisted a very reasonable list of the major points a few pages back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I do agree with the iconic foil thing, but at the same time....even H20 only did 31.5m adjusted OW, and was number three on its opening weekend! 

True, but nostalgia hadn't begun to eat itself at that time. A property which has true nostalgic feelings attached to it is a license to print money nowadays. The reviews are telling people that its a return to when Halloween was good, they got John Carpenter back, got Curtis back, the iconic score and the bad remakes in between helped people realize what they were missing. 

It's kind of the path Star Wars took. All that previous continuity is trash, let's return to the true continuity with some things you recall fondly.

14 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Is it because it's a direct sequel? Is it because of reviews? Is it just a perfect conflation of release date/cast/character?

I think it would be quite the same with an 40% RT (if the trailer would have been so deceivingly good).

I think part is the higher connective tissue with the iconic material and the returning iconic cast member. Some other force could be the same that explain It getting so much bigger, OW getting bigger and bigger, events getting a greater and greater share of the pie, good place for horror right now and nostalgia for when it was "great" being popular.

The trailer, the atheistic choice (mask, prison) and the high concept proposed (Curtis hunting down Myers) with the score playing is a big part of the appeal I think.

Edited by Barnack

Halloween 1039 2169 39.10%

Comps:

62% of Deadpool 2 (77.4M)

76% of Jurassic World 2 (112.7M)

403% of The Meg (182.8M)

435% of The Nun (233.9M)

427% of The Predator (105.3M)

148% of Venom (118.9M)

Wowzers. When it comes to horror movies, Halloween eclipses just about everything else. This really could be a mini-Jurassic World on our hands.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 4

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Halloween 1039 2169 39.10%

Comps:

62% of Deadpool 2 (77.4M)

76% of Jurassic World 2 (112.7M)

403% of The Meg (182.8M)

435% of The Nun (233.9M)

427% of The Predator (105.3M)

148% of Venom (118.9M)

Wowzers. When it comes to horror movies, Halloween eclipses just about everything else. This really could be a mini-Jurassic World on our hands.

Yeah, no. Let's slow down a bit

8 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'll go with a very nice 69m opening weekend for Halloween. Much better than my original expectations, though I guess lower than alot of expectations. It just now pulling ahead of Venom despite a much lower crossover/kiddie audience to help build a weekend IM. Can definitely match the 10m Thursday of Venom, though.

I like this prediction

Hi guys. I'm new here but I gotta say I also thought of Friday the 13th when I saw Halloween was getting rave reviews. No way that doesn't get fast tracked as soon as the legal issues are ironed out. It's amazing they never made a cheap sequel to the remake, but Hollywood is dumb... I hated the Rob Zombie Halloween films, and while I'm a little annoyed about the continuity stuff, I am extremely excited for this film tonight. I'm going to the 10:30 RPX showing at my local Regal, and I'll report the crowd size after. Halloween has always been my favorite horror franchise since discovering the series at Blockbuster 1 by 1 as a kid, and I never thought I'd actually see Jamie Lee back in the role, and in a smash like this...just amazing. She deserves better roles.

I might wanna revise my prediction after seeing the film, but what I officially entered is $102.12m for the weekend. Happy Halloween everyone  🎃

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

7:30 : 27/78

7:00: 53/78

7:30: 27/78

8:00: 40/78

Total so far: 120/234

It sold 267 tickets across 4 shows with roughly the same capacity thanks to one of them being in the biggest auditorium. Halloween won't quite reach those heights, but two-thirds of that can be achievable over the next two shows (which is right where it needs to be for the October record). Stay tuned.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1