grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Just now, filmlover said:

Maybe they just see it as a potential moneymaker over the holidays and awards are secondary. FWIW it's still not up on their FYC page (yet, at least).

Possibly, they must be confident it'll be a hit to release in December. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the film has only just been finished or near finished so it's yet to be screened to the awards bodies and critics.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

That Bumblebee showing on December 8 has already sold 23 seats out of 121. It's definitely going to sell out.

I wonder how much a movie can earn with these sneaks. The highest so far seems to be Jumanji with 1.8M. The sneaks seem to be 1000 theaters, so estimating 1000 theaters, 20$ average price and 200 seats per screen, its about 4M max I think.

Mary Poppins tickets have showtimes but not tickets available.

What's weird is that there aren't any Tuesday previews...but there's also a "fan event" on Tuesday at 7 in Dolby at a couple of AMCs...why not just do Tuesday previews?

21 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Mary Poppins tickets have showtimes but not tickets available.

What's weird is that there aren't any Tuesday previews...but there's also a "fan event" on Tuesday at 7 in Dolby at a couple of AMCs...why not just do Tuesday previews?

Neither Jumanji (although that had those sneaks two weeks early) and The Greatest Showman did previews last year either.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Neither Jumanji (although that had those sneaks two weeks early) and The Greatest Showman did previews last year either.

But at least they had to deal with a Star Wars movie sucking up all

the showtimes, so theaters didn’t want to (or couldn’t) give those movies previews. What’s Poppins’ excuse?

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

By the way I just saw that Bumblebee is 114 minutes long which it makes it by far the shortest Transformers movie by half an hour. Praise the lord.

It probably helps Travis Knight has an animation background so telling a compelling story in a short time is an advantage.

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

By the way I just saw that Bumblebee is 114 minutes long which it makes it by far the shortest Transformers movie by half an hour. Praise the lord.

It’s a pretty low runtime holiday season as a whole. Aquaman probably the longest movie at 139 minutes. No 150+ minute epics this time. All movies looking to get audiences in and out in a quick time period.

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

It’s a pretty low runtime holiday season as a whole. Aquaman probably the longest movie at 139 minutes. No 150+ minute epics this time. All movies looking to get audiences in and out in a quick time period.

I welcome it tbh, especially in this day and age of the bloated blockbuster.

Fitting to the theater report of WrathOfHan, Creed II is definitely coming closer to Ralph 2 on Pulse and MT today.
Yesterday Creed had ca. 2/3 of Ralph's Pulse sales during the day and ca. the same sales as Ralph in the evening (at least to the time I looked there). Today at the same time during the day (8:53-9:04 EST) Creed II was a few tickets in front. And the last time I looked at this akvalley-list yesterday Ralph had 19.1k sold tickets and Creed 14.4k. Very early in the morning EST it were 18.6k tickets for Ralph and 15.6k for Creed. Now it's 17.6k to 16k.

At MT Creed II stayed yesterday around 13% till the evening were it had 14.6% with the last update (Ralph 27.9%). With the first update today Creed II had already 15.6% and Ralph 28.1% and first I thought that could be due to the evening sales with Creed having partly another target audience (more grown ups). But Creed also held well over the last hours and is now at 16.2% vs. Ralph's 25.6% (FB 2 and The Grinch both have 15.1% and BR 7.7%).

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

For Bumblebee, are only preview tickets for sale at the moment? Fandango includes "Early-Access Screenings" for some but not all.

No, there are showtimes up for Bumblebee at the theaters near me from previews to the 27th.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Are those Fandango tracking numbers for Aquaman for the Amazon previews? Just asking because you don't have tracking numbers listed for any other December film.

The Amazon previews are only available for Atom Tickets, so no.

Did a quick showtime and sellout count for Aquaman, not doing another one till week of release because theaters have made it really hard, and the early previews make it harder.

Aquaman early count (including the Dec 15 previews)

20 sellouts / 178 showtimes

Of the 20 sellouts, 16 are from the early previews. The Dec 15 shows look like they will all sell out, the ones that haven't sold out yet are more than 70% sold.

Early Comps:

Suicide Squad - 1 sellout / 166 showtimes

BvS - 7 sellouts / 310 showtimes (12 days before release)

Wonder Woman: 0 sellouts / 136 showtimes

Justice League: 3 sellouts / 276 showtimes

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

36 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Did a quick showtime and sellout count for Aquaman, not doing another one till week of release because theaters have made it really hard, and the early previews make it harder.

Of the 20 sellouts, 16 are from the early previews. The Dec 15 shows look like they will all sell out, the ones that haven't sold out yet are more than 70% sold.

Early Comps:

:popcorn:

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

Early Comps:

These numbers were getting me so excited until I saw that JL was selling better than everything but BvS.We all know how that turned out...

6 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

These numbers were getting me so excited until I saw that JL was selling better than everything but BvS.We all know how that turned out...

JL numbers would actually be good for Aquaman

• Like 1