MuffinMan

Mamma! Mia: Here! We! Go! Again! | July 20, 2018 | Universal | Ol Parker to write and direct | Greatest Title of All Time? Yes.

The first time I saw Mamma Mia (2008) I thought it was one of the worst movies ever made. 

The second time I saw it, I knew what I was in for and I had really fun time. 

Like @filmlover said everyone knows what they're in for so they're more willing to embrace the movie for what it is than what they thought or wanted it to be. 

tbh, I was kinda ironically stanning this, as I wasn't really super into the first one. I know, I know, but I just can't get into the poor singing, and the camp overstays its welcome for me. I was really only into it once Seyfried was in the picture, and a handful of the music numbers (Lay Your Love was phenomenally silly). But I am legit happy this is getting good reviews, since I'm definitely seeing this for Seyfried, James, and especially Garcia's beard.

• Like 1

Reviews looking quality. Hype is there for the audience this one's geared toward. Bet they're frothing at the mouth right now. Pitch Perfect 2 level breakout incoming. Brace! This will be great for the summer box office. Hoping it and Equalizer 2 somehow combine for something close to $90M DOM this weekend.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The first Mamma Mia! is a big time guilty pleasure for me but there's really no question that it's a disaster from a filmmaking standpoint. This sounds like it has heavily improved in those areas.

You say disaster, I am CAMP MASTERPIECE. 🤣

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

You say disaster, I am CAMP MASTERPIECE. 🤣

It's really amazing how low-rent it looks despite having so much money and talent poured into it. Movie had the appearance of looking like it was shot entirely on a soundstage back in 2008 and it's even more glaring a decade later.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The first Mamma Mia! is a big time guilty pleasure for me but there's really no question that it's a disaster from a filmmaking standpoint. This sounds like it has heavily improved in those areas.

The director, Phyllida Lloyd had never directed a feature film before IIRC she's only directed one other film since Mamma Mia! which was The Iron Lady. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's really amazing how low-rent it looks despite having so much money and talent poured into it. Movie had the appearance of looking like it was shot entirely on a soundstage back in 2008 and it's even more glaring a decade later.

A lot of it was filmed on location and a $52m budget with that cast and that IP was not that much money.   

This one - though 10 years later cost almost $20m more at $70m and that's w/o Meryl Streep in a starring role and they filmed in Croatia instead of the Greek Isles to cut cost.

The big difference is probably that Phyllida Llyod was a theater director and Mamma Mia was her first film.

Edited by TalismanRing

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

This one - though 10 years later cost almost $20m more at $70m and that's w/o Meryl Streep in a starring role and they filmed in Croatia instead of the Greek Isles to cost cost.

Would not surprise me if both the exchange rate and tax incentive got better between those 10 year's also.

http://filmingincroatia.hr/en/production_incentive/rebate_for_film_and_tv_production

Croatia introduced Film Production Incentive in 2012

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

A lot of it was filmed on location and a $52m budget with that cast and that IP was not that much money.   

This one - though 10 years later cost almost $20m more at $70m and that's w/o Meryl Streep in a starring role and they filmed in Croatia instead of the Greek Isles to cut cost.

The big difference is probably that Phyllida Llyod was a theater director and Mamma Mia was her first film.

I imagine most of the budget increase was salary as it's a much bigger cast and it's likely everyone from the original cast got a salary bump.

I imagine Vis, the island in Croatia where they filmed it will likely see a boost in tourism.

@filmlover @That One Guy @Pandamia! There is this great spoof of Mamma Mia! done by the comedians French and Saunders for Comic Relief 9 years ago, it's very funny but you can't watch the first film in the same way ever again!

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I imagine most of the budget increase was salary as it's a much bigger cast and it's likely everyone from the original cast got a salary bump.

I imagine Vis, the island in Croatia where they filmed it will likely see a boost in tourism.

@filmlover @That One Guy @Pandamia! There is this great spoof of Mamma Mia! done by the comedians French and Saunders for Comic Relief 9 years ago, it's very funny but you can't watch the first film in the same way ever again!

I've seen this before, priceless. Love that they just credit Joanna Lumley as her Absolutely Fabulous character. :rofl: