baumer

Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017)

Grade it  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

PROS

Soundtrack great as usual

Some cool scenes (young jack)

Funny at times

FUN!

CONS

The final 3rd was super disappointing, which was a shame because I could really liked it.

No good sword fights, action was worse than in the previous scenes

British fleet death anticlimactic (what was the point of the witch scenes?)

The ending kiss scenes were really bad, they should have kissed on the boat

7/10

Edited by IronJimbo

There's some messy bits, like all of the Pirates movies, but I liked it about on par with At World's End, maybe more (it's been a while since I watched that one).

There were a lot of really fun set pieces, the score was great, and I enjoyed the new characters (especially Salazaar).  I was disappointed with the third act up until the end, the climax didn't really feel earned and there were a lot of parts that felt honed in.  I do wish there was more swashbuckling swordplay, there was nothing that was as exhilarating as the first three movies.

Theres also a lot of unnecessary bloat and plot devices with no foreshadowing.  The compass bit was an idiotic way to break the curse.  It would have been much better (and simpler) if Henry broke the curse when he left or something.

I liked the idea of a Jack out of his prime, but I wish there would have been a better arc for it, it wasn't totally clean.

But taking it as a summer blockbuster, I had fun with it, and I really liked the ending bit of the film, it was a satisfying end to it.

I'd give it a solid B/B-, it's a flawed film and it lacks the passion and energy the first three had, but it's a more clean film than At World's End (so I'd rank it about on par).  It's a much better film than On Stranger Tides.

• Like 1

My hopes for the newest installment in the Pirates franchise were elevated by the intriguing choice to have Kon-Tiki directors Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg at the helm and trailers that emphasized a spooky atmosphere and Javier Bardem's villain. In the end, however, the finished product is even duller and less inspired than the plodding On Stranger Tides. Johnny Depp's performance as Jack Sparrow is sadly emblematic of the film as a whole: it still has faint traces of the charm that won audiences over fourteen years ago, but it's mostly a hollow shell of what it once was. Depp is much more grating than amusing in the latest iteration of his signature role, which should be as good a sign as any that it's time to retire this character and the shtick associated with him; his halfhearted approach to the character suggests that even he too may be tiring of Captain Jack as much as this viewer. Geoffrey Rush does his best to pick up the slack as Captain Barbossa, and he ends up providing the film's only genuinely affecting performance. Unfortunately, even with Barbossa having turned into a softie in these sequels, he's still more intimidating than Javier Bardem's Salazar, a villain whose lack of depth and menace is comparable to that of Ian McShane's Blackbeard in the previous film. Of course, what's so disappointing about Bardem's character here is that he has two great villains in his filmography - Anton Chigurh in No Country for Old Men and Silva in Skyfall - and undoubtedly could have done some cool work here had he just been given passable material to work with. As in On Stranger Tides, this film also fails to replicate the Will/Elizabeth romance - a pretty damning statement considering that Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley, while more than competent, certainly didn't give performances for the ages in the original film - with unremarkable characterizations and performances from Brenton Thwaites and Kaya Scodelario. While the film will probably be successful enough at the box office to make way for another sequel, Dead Men Tell No Tales may be as far as I go with this franchise. What began in such spectacular fashion with Curse of the Black Pearl and continued so amusingly in Dead Man's Chest and At World's End has lost its charisma and scope.

C-

• Like 3

It's better than the awful On Stranger Tides, I'll give it that. But this was yet another disappointing sequel. The biggest criticism that one could throw against this is that everything feels reheated. This movie only exists just to keep the cash cow going, not because there's anymore story to tell. The action all feels interchangeable with set pieces from the previous movies, and the story makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow, once the highlight, is no longer an even remotely interesting character. And Salazar is just a completely lame villain (no fault of Javier Bardem, who does the most he can with a poorly-written role).

Quite frankly, it's time to write this series its obituary, send it to the bottom of the ocean, and never let it surface again.

C-

• Like 2

The scene with Jack in the guillotine and it began flipping around as the blade kept on coming THISCLOSE to cutting Jack's head off is one of my favorite scenes in film of the year so far.  Hell, pretty much the entire execution/escape scene is.  That was some great shit.

I think the Pirates of the Caribbean movies is a series you either enjoy for it's trappings and mythological exploration or you bought the wrong ticket from day one. None of these films from the original to the present release have gone beyond it's boundaries of adding another adventure/chapter to the very popular mythology, while maintaining the tradition of great effects and solid casting for each new installment. Like anything, there are personal favorites in a series of this length, but for me the quality seems to have remained generally consistent. 

I think they've been very smart about NOT trying to remake the first film over and over. And I never got any sense this latest entry was a reboot. Anything but. Each installment tells it's own story and depending on the topic at hand, varies on who carries the film. I thought Sparrow's character was a little less involved in establishing the narrative of this latest entry, but that has never been a new approach in the series. The story was engaging and the humor was measured without feeling forced. All of the primary characters had progressed in a logical manner so I didn't see anything that took me out of the story while I was watching it.  

I'm a little perplexed at the drubbing critics have given this series since they seem to abandon all logic and intellect when they review something as mundane as 'Star Wars' which is probably the most over rated and uneven movie series of all time. Talk about living on your past. But, like Star Wars, I believe critics simply apply personal bias and lean heavily in one direction or the other based on nothing having to do with the actual film itself. 

Dead Men carries an impressive cast, even pacing, and grand special effects. I agree the story takes a few left turns a little too quickly in the plotting, but I think much of that has to do with keeping the running time a bit shorter, but not so much that the film suffers greatly. The pay off is well worth it at the end and really makes for a great finale in the series, if they choose to end it here. If you're a fan of the series, go see this. If you've grown weary of it, stay away. Four movies in, people should have a common sense logic to why they're going to see the fifth.  For me, it's a fun movie, engaging, and revisits some older story lines in grand fashion. It's been a rewarding series to follow. I think one more installment would be well worth it if this grosses enough worldwide. It's off to a great start. I'm not overly worried about the domestic take anymore. 

• Like 1

quite enjoyed this movie but it definitely had some issues

the parts involving the compass was some horrendously bad writing

also didn't like the many retcons. And how old exactly are the characters now?

sill I had a good time. This better not be the last one!

This weeks podcast/Discussion. Its a fun one. The first Pirates is on Both Aj and my  top 10 list. We have fun conversation kinda walking through th whole film, if your bored, or planing on staring at movie forums for an hour, you might as well listen right?

http://cinemasesh.libsyn.com/pirates-dead-men-tell-no-tales-sesh 

Link to thread http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/21497-cinema-sesh-podcast-ep-archive-pg-1-new-pirates-of-the-caribbean-dead-men-tell-no-tells-sesh/   Let me know what you think, Thanks 

Edited by Jay Hollywood

On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 7:39 AM, Jay Hollywood said:

Id like to add that Bloom gives an all-time Razzie worthy performance. The dude should be embarrassed. Ive never seen a human put less effort into anything. 

His best performance is probably DMC and AWE and now his lowest is here. 

I was genuinely impressed by how little you need of Orloondo Bland to drag a film down to the pits of hell. It is genuinely stunning.

• Like 1

Grade: B

I only saw PotC:4 once so I honestly don't recall much except to say I was entertained at the time. I didn't buy the DVD to re-watch it as I did the original 3 because I didn't want to double dip on what would surely be a box set one day. To that end I'll say I enjoyed this more than AWE.

Pros

I found the opening sequence with the bank in St.Martin to be great!

The prequel moments with 12yr old Henry Turner were good set up. Making Henry into his Dad this time around.

Carina was clearly the "new"Elizabeth. Strong willed woman in a mans world.

The rescue scene w/Jack at the guillotine. 

Solid backstory for Javier Bardem's Captain Salazar and motivation to get Jack.

Using the "broken" compass as the mechanism to further the plot. I'm trying to recall if it works with or is in conflict with it's stated functionality in a prior film.

Jack not being the star of the film per se, the plot was central to and about Henry, Carina and Barbosa really. Salazar's revenge on Jack sweeps into that angle.

The sharks.

The battle for the trident sequence.

Will & Elizabeth reunited

Cons

Forced comedic stations that stopped the flow. 

Uncle Jack in the prison exchange before the guillotine.

The forced "wedding" beach scene.

The new British Commander, Scarfield, and a seemingly useless and toothless navy. They never felt like a strong secondary threat like Norrington did in the prior films.

Maybe I missed it but the actual witch, Shansa, seemed to only be there to point the British navy in the right direction. I feel another plot device for this would've better serviced the film.

I felt like Salazar's end was a bit anticlimactic. Once he became flesh & blood human again the film demanded a one-to-one battle with Jack but we didn't get that. 

I belive Barbosa is dead only if we don't get another film. He died once so...., besides his character now has even greater growth and is more interesting than Jack on many counts.

I called the truth about Carina from the second act. Leaned in, told my wife and then when it was revealed I was right she was impressed and bummed she didn't put it together.

I need someone to explain the post-credit sequence. Will is still haunted despite being free of the curse? What was the shadowy clawed figure? What were the white things left on the floor by the bed?

• Like 1

I don't have time for a lengthy review, but all in all I was very surprised at how much I liked the film. I went in with low expectations so maybe that says a lot, and although it wasn't a perfect film by any means, I had a fun time watching it. I'd give it a B rating, 7/10

5 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

I need someone to explain the post-credit sequence. Will is still haunted despite being free of the curse? What was the shadowy clawed figure? What were the white things left on the floor by the bed?

That was Davy Jones' silhouette and barnacles on the floor.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2017 at 11:20 AM, John Marston said:

Meh, I though he was fine in his small role 

Agreed.

My theater applauded when he came on shore and cheered when  Elizabeth appeared.

8 hours ago, Noodlebug said:

What's the point of even bringing him back? He died and Will took over the Dutchman. What more could they possibly do with him?

I'm assuming that since the curse was broken and Davy Jones was still affected by the curse when he died, it brought him back to life somehow. He's probably in the next one only as a marketing tool to remind people of when they cared about this franchise.

Saw this yesterday. It was fun, althou there were some forgettable scenes. Think it played with nostalgy (lile someone mentioned before it was a bit "TFA -ish"), but that just made me like it more.

The CGI of Salazar and his crew was amazing.

Henry was stupid/naive, not sure if I should blame the actor or the script. Carina was better; the actress reminded me of Nicole Kidman.

All in all I liked the way it made everything come together in the end.

My 12-year old daughter thought it was the worst of the PotC movies, because Jack was more weird than ever. My 10 year old son liked it more, because there were scenes with young Jack. PotC = Jack Sparrow.

Lähetetty minun SM-G800F laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Remember when, before Curse of the Black Pearl was released, how it seemed like a terrible idea to base a film off of a park ride but then the first Pirates ended up being a pleasant surprise?

Dead Man Tell No Tales is exactly that film we originally thought we would get from Disney based on pre-release expectations – a really expensive ad.

Not an ounce of soul; every bit a corporate product. Even On Stranger Tides had more integrity.

Really, I think Disney should issue a formal apology for inflicting this crap upon us all.

2/10

• Like 4