Nova

Wednesday #s: Baywatch 1.25M in previews

Tentative prediction. I might think about it more when I get back to the Harbour-side house I'm currently dog/house sitting. 

After a quick look at the last few years if the opening in Australia is AUD6m I think the best case scenario for Domestic is USD72m for the 4 days. 

However, I can't rule out a backlash in Australia due to the heinous breach of our strict quarantine laws.  

Edited by DeeCee

Bit late to this but this has always been my summer list of must-sees:

Pirates 5

It Comes At Night

Baby Driver

A Ghost Story

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Dunkirk

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Detroit

Logan Lucky

I already know I'm seeing Wonder Woman as well, so don't come after me DC fans. Everything else I can take or leave (although I guess I'll probably take because I hate myself lol)

• Like 2

3hCvSZy.jpg

Oh look audiences didn't hate this as much as everyone thought they might. It has the same score Beauty And The Beast opened with after previews.

Really think this movie got unfairly trashed and WOM might be better then some think especially for fans of the franchise.

• Like 3

And in comparison....so people who did see want to see POTC got what they wanted.

jUap5tB.jpg

Doesn't seem like WOM is as mixed as Covenant was after first screenings. I expected 60s or 70s judging by the reviews instead POTC is where most big franchise blockbusters are.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

3hCvSZy.jpg

Oh look audiences didn't hate this as much as everyone thought they might. It has the same score Beauty And The Beast opened with after previews.

Really think this movie got unfairly trashed and WOM might be better then some think especially for fans of the franchise.

It has even higher audience score than the last film, "On Stranger Tides" which had 54% on the audience rating.

And even higher than Alien Covenant's 62% audience rating (and surprisingly nearing the below 60%), despite Covenat having a higher critic rating with 71%.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

It has even higher audience score than the last film, "On Stranger Tides" which had 54% on the audience rating.

And even higher than Alien Covenant's 62% audience rating (and surprisingly nearing the below 60%), despite Covenat having a higher critic rating with 71%.

Exactly I remember looking at Covenants score after Thursday night and I believe it was in the low 70s or high 60s. This at least looked like it satisfied most fans of the franchise.

I knew the reviews looked misleading and like a lot of critics didn't want to be there. Twitter is mostly saying the same with a lot of people liking it and just calling it what it should have been reviewed as.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, somebody85 said:

Exactly I remember looking at Covenants score after Thursday night and I believe it was in the low 70s or high 60s. This at least looked like it satisfied most fans of the franchise.

I knew the reviews looked misleading and like a lot of critics didn't want to be there. Twitter is mostly saying the same with a lot of people liking it and just calling it what it should have been reviewed as.

Dude this is getting annoying, lay off it.

There are many times when critics and audience don't agree. Be happy you enjoyed the film.

4 hours ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Dude this is getting annoying, lay off it.

There are many times when critics and audience don't agree. Be happy you enjoyed the film.

Not annoying at all.....I'm with Somebody on this one all the way.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, baumer said:

Not annoying at all.....I'm with Somebody on this one all the way.

Haha yeah I'm done. I just find it really interesting to see such a jarring difference between critics and audiences (even though it will inevitably lower over the weekend). Just noticed that happened with King Arthur too...huh didn't know that scored a 4/5 on Flixster.

Might have to check that out.

• Like 2

It's pretty clear. This is the fifth movie. The people seeing it in theatres or inclined to rate it online are predisposed to like it. Also, as far as I'm aware there's no base of people out there with an irrational hatred for the Pirates movies (like the down rating of Ghostbusters).  

People either like the Pirates movies or they're simply indifferent. Hence the high audience rating. 

Critics have to watch it. It's their job. After the last 2 they're not going to give it the benefit of the doubt. Hence the low rating. "It's not as bad as the last one" doesn't really cut it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, somebody85 said:

Haha yeah I'm done. I just find it really interesting to see such a jarring difference between critics and audiences (even though it will inevitably lower over the weekend). Just noticed that happened with King Arthur too...huh didn't know that scored a 4/5 on Flixster.

Might have to check that out.

Well you are definitely speaking my language when it comes to the critic and fan disparity. I have been really vocal about this for decades LOL. In fact I was just having a discussion yesterday with some of the guys on our WhatsApp chat about this very thing.

• Like 3