Eric Quinn

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

2 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

People will always prefer a simple YES or NO system, that's just who we are.

We're incredibly lazy

If RT disappears or changes, another will take its place. Another system which can tell you if the movie is good or not, according to whoever the hell

It is not just laziness, there is just way too many movie now to have zero curating going on (not to the extreme of books or music, but not that different once it reach more than 100 movie a week):

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?release_date=2016-01-01,2016-12-31&runtime=80,350&title_type=feature&sort=runtime,desc

Over 6000 feature film in 2016 alone, people under the illusion that they picked by themselve without influence what to see among them (I doubt many saw over 2% of them), without a curating system would it be your nearest theatre chain, a studio exec deciding selling some of those to you, festival acclaim, critics, etc... are under, well an illusion. A bunch of critics watching more than a movie a day doing recommendation is a necessity (outside the franchise world) 

RT score is not a particular bad one among those way to curate your watch list.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

They are very similar and extremely correlated obviously. Doesn't really matter to me personally. They both do the job fairly well. 

If you click for most movie on the RT top critics they are almost the same as the metacritic, one or 2 different in the whole bunch. And like you said the RT average score tend to be really close to MC (and the percentage of MC review that are 6/10 or more tend to be the same as the RT Score).

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Alli said:

we should have a middle. like @UNDERDOG said, the mixed reviews need to be accounted somehow.

Maybe kind of have a revision of the meter.  Like have it split three ways.  The far left of the meter is the rotten reviews, in the middle is the mixed reviews, and the far right is the fresh reviews.  If say, 40% of reviews are fresh, 20% are mixed, and 40% are negative, 40% of the meter will be red (fresh), 20% will be yellow (mixed), and 40% will be green (negative).

• Like 2

Best way is to not completely dismiss what critics say nor is hanging on their every word.  Pick your local critic and maybe one or two national ones.  And of course trust your own instincts.  

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

People ignored RT for AWE.

They ignored RT for OST.

They get tired of wasting money and pay attention to RT for POTC5 and it's RT fault the movie doesn't do well?

You burned the audience 2 to 3 times!

How stupid do you expect them to be?

I believe some franchises are critic proof, until audiences get burnt out. That seems to be the case here. I've heard people say it's the best one since the first one, but if a majority is burnt out then they're burnt out. Not much else you can do. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, That One Valerian said:

Maybe kind of have a revision of the meter.  Like have it split three ways.  The far left of the meter is the rotten reviews, in the middle is the mixed reviews, and the far right is the fresh reviews.  If say, 40% of reviews are fresh, 20% are mixed, and 40% are negative, 40% of the meter will be red (fresh), 20% will be yellow (mixed), and 40% will be green (negative).

So make RT into Metacritic

You are either going to see a movie or you aren't which is why for the GA a fresh or not system makes a lot of sense for the average person. Middling reviews as opposed to fresh or not really doesn't help you make a decision do they? 

Edited by GiantCALBears
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, That One Valerian said:

That exactly what metacritic is doing no ?, people already has that option available to them. Because both site use the same reviews doing the same thing they need to create some artificial difference between the 2, and which system is more popular with people is already a bit of an experiment going on.

Edited by Barnack

2 minutes ago, That One Valerian said:

Excellent idea!!

Just now, franfar said:

I don't see that many movies in a year in theaters, and am kinda picky. The critic RT score has yet to disappoint me, personally

It works I'd say 90+% of the time and could be higher which is why I am staunch defender of critics. They have their jobs for a reason in general. 

• Like 3

Just now, grim22 said:

So make RT into Metacritic

Sure, but RT assigns a regular average of scores, while MC has a "weighted" average for its score.  Also the score will reflect how many reviews are positive still, but there will be a lower bar for a film that's fresh (probably something like 50%, with certified fresh if it has a 65%).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, franfar said:

I don't really get burned on movies. If it's bad, then it's bad, and I just accept it.

Then have you really seen a truly bad movie?

I felt personally insulted when I saw movies like IDR, or America: Imagine the World Without Her, and so on.

• Like 1

Just now, The Panda of the Caribbean said:

Then have you really seen a truly bad movie?

I felt personally insulted when I saw movies like IDR, or America: Imagine the World Without Her, and so on.

Um, I have seen bad movies, actually.

But if the reviews are abysmal, and I'm not already a fanboy, then I pass on it. 

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

You are either going to see a movie or you aren't which is why for the GA a fresh or not system makes a lot of sense for the average person. Middling reviews as opposed to fresh or not really don't help you make a decision do they? 

if the mixed reviews have a higher score than the negative ones, audience could give the movie a chance

Some of you might not get "burned" by movies, but we're the minority here on BOT, remember that.

Lots of people are increasingly dismissive of movies, of content in general, especially with the sheer amount of media available to us nowadays.

You might watch the movie, realize it's crap, and think "oh well", but for the vast majority of people, the actual reasoning was: I'm not watching this movie period

Because they got burned

• Like 5

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

It works I'd say 90+% of the time and could be higher which is why I am staunch defender of critics. They have their jobs for a reason in general. 

Yeah, it's pretty rare that I find the critic consensus unjustified (even if I don't necessarily personally agree with it at times).

For example,

I personally found Pirates to be dumb fun, but I wouldn't call it a great movie (probably not even a good one), and I understand completely why it's rotten.

Or with Civil War, that movie just wasn't really for me, but I understand why it's fresh and got great reviews.  

It's not that often when I find the RT consensus to be truly unjustified.

• Like 8