Eric is Quiet

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Are they going to cut the budget dude? I think it's actually becoming a bit risky given diminishing returns. I say you take your money and put it on the shelf. 

the budget was cut for POTC 5

also POTC 5 has a chance to make three times its budget worldwide

• Like 1

I wish The Big Sick was getting a bigger release on the 23rd. That weekend is dead for good new movies, with only Transformers dropping. I'll probably hold off on the Mummy till that weekend unless it gets great reviews.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I wish The Big Sick was getting a bigger release on the 23rd. That weekend is dead for good new movies, with only Transformers dropping. I'll probably hold off on the Mummy till that weekend unless it gets great reviews.

Transformers isn't even dropping on the 23rd anyway. It's on the 21st now.

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I don't know why Lionsgate is waiting until its 4th weekend to go wide against Apes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

The Beguiled is apparently opening fairly wide that weekend.

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Needs to be cut even further to keep up with an expected decline from this installment. 

They can keep it at 230M. If they do another one, it will be sold as the final chapter anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Couldn't LOTR become an official franchise if WB wanted to do a Tolkien Expanded Universe?

(I'm not arguing whether that would be a good or bad idea.)

No, but Middle Earth could.

But they are risking a huge fan backlash,and you are dealing with classic novels, not a comic book franchise.

Then there are Tolkien other works on Middle Earth "The Simarralion" "Unfinshed Tales") but the Tolkien Estate has stated they are not going to sell the screen rights to those.period, end of   discussion. Tolkien sold the screen rights to the Hobbit and LOTR in the late 50's,when he needed the money,before LOTR became an publishing  phenomenon which made Tolkien a rich man. People forget it was nearly a decade after they were published that LOTR caught on with the public in a big way, and became a huge success.

• Like 3

Just now, John Marston said:

the budget was cut for POTC 5

also POTC 5 has a chance to make three times its budget worldwide

It will make over 3 times no doubt.. 

china+us+japan will near 400 mill alone.. I project 170 mill DOM and China..

If european weather next weekend is bad it will have great holds in many countries..

750-775 mill WW is my best guess atm