Eric Lasagna

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

I've been stalked by the Dunkirk trailer, but then again I'm the one who uploads the trailers if I work Thursday's so I knew it ahead of time.

Im totally okay with that though. The more I see that trailer the better.

wait do you pick the trailers or do other people pick the trailers while you attach them?

this question is very important to me personally 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

I've been stalked by the Dunkirk trailer, but then again I'm the one who uploads the trailers if I work Thursday's so I knew it ahead of time.

Im totally okay with that though. The more I see that trailer the better.

You better attach a Ninjago trailer with Wonder Woman and Captain Underpants this weekend.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stripe said:

What an AWFUL May

:puke:

Worst since 2006.

GOTG2 did well, every other big film  either flopped or underperformed.

I can't say I am broken up about it; If studios release a bunch of weak,disappointing films they deserve to fail.Box Office failure it the only way to send the studios a message they will understand.

• Like 2

Someone asked.  I said it was quite likely

(should have followed through with that on my Derby but was hedging against Baywatch doing slightly better than the early numbers indicated)

I think the reply I got iirc was "unlikely but not impossible" a "5% chance" [emoji5]

And one other said, "the only way GOTG2 beats Baywatch is if the latter goes below 20m FSS" which he added "it won't go that low" making him right and wrong. Baywatch did go below 20 and yes, it's that low. Also doesn't hurt GOTG2 doing another surprising weekend at the box office.

Sent from my E6533 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I can't say I am broken up about it; If studios release a bunch of weak,disappointing films they deserve to fail.Box Office failure it the only way to send the studios a message they will understand.

I didn't saw everything obviously (so I could be wrong) but I agree with this, it is not like may 2016 with The Nice guys, Neighbors 2, A bigger splash, The Lobster and other movies worthy of a watch failing to reach mass audience (or any audience).

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Blankments said:

wait do you pick the trailers or do other people pick the trailers while you attach them?

this question is very important to me personally 

Depends on the movie. Big movies most of the time have a set of trailers that have to be played (but there are usually 2 or 3 that are mandatory) so for example something like pirates Disney can pick 3 trailers that they want played so those have to be played. The other 2 can be picked from a select group so there is some choice there (the group you can choose from includes usually films that are similar, so for pirates you could choose any kind of summer blockbuster type movie, you usually wouldn't put Madea Halloween on a movie like Pirates for example).

When a movie is a filler however it's a different story, there aren't usually mandatory trailers that have to be played.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, YourMother said:

You better attach a Ninjago trailer with Wonder Woman and Captain Underpants this weekend.

It'll probably already be attached to Captain. Wonder Woman I'm not 100% sure but i could see it going 50/50

I don't work this Wednesday or Thursday so I don't have a say in it this week :( but I am working 2 hours tonight as well as tomorrow closing, so I can choose which new posters go up in the lobby

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DAJK said:

It'll probably already be attached to Captain. Wonder Woman I'm not 100% sure but i could see it going 50/50

I don't work this Wednesday or Thursday so I don't have a say in it this week :( but I am working 2 hours tonight as well as tomorrow closing, so I can choose which new posters go up in the lobby

Don't worry. There's still:

The Mummy 

Cars 3

Transformers 5

Despicable Me 3

Spider-Man: Homecoming 

Valerian

Emoji

You just need to attach a trailer for 6 of them and we're good.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I didn't saw everything obviously (so I could be wrong) but I agree with this, it is not like may 2016 with The Nice guys, Neighbors 2, A bigger splash, The Lobster and other movies worthy of a watch failing to reach mass audience (or any audience).

So, studios will still make more baywatches rather than lobster or nice guy, looking at this performance.

• Like 2

Just now, damnitgeorge08 said:

So, studios will still make more baywatches rather than lobster or nice guy, looking at this performance.

Very true, Baywatches execution and reception went as bad as it could, and look like it could still end up making moneys, that show how safe movie like that are versus almost everything original ever made.

• Like 1

Any reason Disney estimates a 23% Monday drop for PotC and then turns and says that GotG is dropping 40?

Doesn't make a iota of sense. GotG will be close to 340m with actuals. 

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 1

even if all double feature drive in's get pulled, it should not be enough to take away over a million.  John Carter made 1.4 million max from double features with Avengers.  Pretend Sunday was pulled, so it made 0.7 Fri and 0.7 Sat.  Pirates i dont think would influence as much turnout in double features, maybe 500K max per day.  so 500K Fri/Sat/Sun........................whatever it just does not make sense.  I see GOTG2 dropping at worst 20% on Monday.  From 7.5 million Sunday to 6 million today.  20% drop would be worse than all the other comparisons.  I think most likely it will hold up better (-15%) than comparisons and that double feature will have minimal effect. 

The 40% Monday drop should only show up if it was in like 500 - 1000  theaters, not 3800+ LOL

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=johncarterofmars.htm

May 4–6 12 $1,494,367 +1,224% 349 +169 $4,282 $70,760,807 9
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Depends on the movie. Big movies most of the time have a set of trailers that have to be played (but there are usually 2 or 3 that are mandatory) so for example something like pirates Disney can pick 3 trailers that they want played so those have to be played. The other 2 can be picked from a select group so there is some choice there (the group you can choose from includes usually films that are similar, so for pirates you could choose any kind of summer blockbuster type movie, you usually wouldn't put Madea Halloween on a movie like Pirates for example).

When a movie is a filler however it's a different story, there aren't usually mandatory trailers that have to be played.

Do you use the ByDeluxe list? digitalcinema.bydeluxe.com

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

After seeing Baywatch this afternoon:

The box office result suits the film. 

too bad you feel that way. Most of the people I know that have seen it have actually enjoyed it pretty well

• Like 1

even if all double feature drive in's get pulled, it should not be enough to take away over a million.  John Carter made 1.4 million max from double features with Avengers.  Pretend Sunday was pulled, so it made 0.7 Fri and 0.7 Sat.  Pirates i dont think would influence as much turnout in double features, maybe 500K max per day.  so 500K Fri/Sat/Sun........................whatever it just does not make sense.  I see GOTG2 dropping at worst 20% on Monday.  From 7.5 million Sunday to 6 million today.  20% drop would be worse than all the other comparisons.  I think most likely it will hold up better (-15%) than comparisons and that double feature will have minimal effect. 

The 40% Monday drop should only show up if it was in like 500 - 1000  theaters, not 3800+ LOL

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=johncarterofmars.htm
May 4–6 12 $1,494,367 +1,224% 349 +169 $4,282 $70,760,807 9

I even think that Friday to Saturday increase is a little low. Like 5% off. When the actual comes out, I can see the 4-day estimates to be off by 1.5m, at least.

Sent from my E6533 using Tapatalk

• Like 2