Dementeleus

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Infinity War is going to be “just another Avengers movie" plus the part 1 effect. No hook. Thanks is a bitch. No reason for it to believe it could match Civil War

I think the whole Thanos angle and Guardians might draw in some of the audience where it squeaks by $400M domestic.

8 minutes ago, franfar said:

Never knew about that Walmart situation. So if the "real" OW was $104,619,362 (OW minus 12million), the multi was 2.78x.....Is that generally accepted here or is it not the full story?

no...real ow was 116.6 say cause WB fortunately kept the 12 WAL-MART in the true Thu number (different from preview thu numbers of 9m which are added in friday as usual).

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Days
2013/06/13 1 $12,062,124   1,000 $12,062   $12,062,124 0 WAL-MART THU not included in Fri and OW
2013/06/14 1 $44,013,367 +265% 4,207 $10,462   $56,075,491 1 9+35 true Fri=44 Fri
2013/06/15 1 $36,315,318 -17% 4,207 $8,632   $92,390,809 2
2013/06/16 1 $36,290,677 n/c 4,207 $8,626   $128,681,486   3

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Days
2013/06/14 1 $116,619,362   4,207 $27,720   $128,681,486 3

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, God Emperor Tele said:

In this case, WW overperformed industry expectations (either slightly or significantly, depending on which ones you look at, I suppose). Fan expectations were all over the place -- surely they spiked a lot in the last several weeks but I would hazard a guess that most long-term fan predictions (from those who follow BO at least) were fairly low. 

The other interesting thing, for me, is that it's completely bucking the trend of other DC movies: warm reception, no fan-rush, looking relatively backloaded, etc. 

Agreed, it's a really nice opening for WW esp if that Saturday number holds to its estimate. One of the better jumps we've ever seen for a summer CBM

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, God Emperor Tele said:

This is actually a complete turn-off for people like me -- certainly a subset of "those who haven't completely kept up".

I have no doubt it will be overwhelming to a good portion, but I'm more referring it getting over $400m total.  That isn't a high bar to jump over for it.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, franfar said:

Never knew about that Walmart situation. So if the "real" OW was $104,619,362 (OW minus 12million), the multi was 2.78x.....Is that generally accepted here or is it not the full story?

No. They reported the $12m as Thursday gross. Friday midnight through Sunday was $116.6 million. 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=superman2012.htm

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Infinity War is going to be “just another Avengers movie" plus the part 1 effect. No hook. Thanks is a bitch. No reason for it to believe it could match Civil War

How can you say already there is "no hook"....the movie is coming out next year

• Like 1

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, franfar said:

I hate having to watch every single MCU film just to understand the next one; Parts of CW were confusing when I saw it in theaters.

You don't have to watch every single MCU film to always understand the next one. Like Doctor Strange, GoTG Vol 2, probably Spider-man.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ACSlater said:

Hell I just want to see the Avengers reaction to meeting Rocket and vice versa...

Take my money Marvel...take my money...

That's the main selling point for me. I want to see the Guardians meeting the Avengers for the first time.

Also a part of me hopes they manage to make Thanos into a good villain, and I'd be surprised if there aren't some bigger stakes this time around...

• Like 1

Just now, Nova said:

Every time Ethan thinks one these comic book movies has no hook and isn't going to do well it exceeds expectations. 

Infinifity War $400M+ OW confirmed 

I am scared for Black Panther then.

Edited by YourMother

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I have no doubt it will be overwhelming to a good portion, but I'm more referring it getting over $400m total.  That isn't a high bar to jump over for it.  

I agree, it probably manages to clear it with a big opening even with stubby frontloaded legs. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, franfar said:

I hate having to watch every single MCU film just to understand the next one; Parts of CW were confusing when I saw it in theaters.

CW probably required the Cap movies (being a sequal it makes sense) and Age of Ultron...hardly all of them...

I like the universe building and payoff of sticking it through especially when Marvel has done such a fantastic job of it...unlike like the morons at DC (sans WW ofcourse)....

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Agreed, it's a really nice opening for WW esp if that Saturday number holds to its estimate. One of the better jumps we've ever seen for a summer CBM

The Saturday number isn't an estimate.  It hit at least $35.5m

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, ACSlater said:

Hmm finally got to Edinburgh and I have nothing better to do...

Do I dare go see the goddess second day straight?

Do it.

33 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Yep. I think they're expecting around 250m at least. December legs should help. 

250M for an Aquaman movie being what is expected of it is incredible when you really think about it. How many people would have laughed hard at the thought just 15 years ago? Heck, even 10 years ago.

It might even do over 300M depending on how he's received in Justice League, incredible.

Edited by Arlborn

29 minutes ago, MrPink said:

4 years after, Wonder Woman comes out, opens to over 100 million and we are talking about...

Man of Steel.

man-of-steel-pa-kent-gif.gif

MOS is an good argument because it nearly matches SS multipler and if WW can grab an 2.7x The Dceu Average for legs will be around 2.4x which would put to rest the arguments of Bad Word of Mouth.

Many have come to the conclusion that the word of mouth was bad from 3 releases but since we are 4 films in now and the Dceu is  Getting more established The universe is starting to justify itself.

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

You don't have to watch every single MCU film to always understand the next one. Like Doctor Strange, GoTG Vol 2, probably Spider-man.

agreed, that has been way overblown that people have to watch every MCU to get the movies.  Even CW you didn't have to see more than 2, maybe 3.  Don't get me wrong, it doesn't hurt to have seen them all, but this argument i keep seeing that people have to see 8 other movies or whatever high number is a tad overstating things :P 

• Like 1