Dementeleus

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

There is no way Gitesh's numbers are right...there are no tickets left at my locals for the rest of the night (each showing has 5 tickets or less left)...and it's 8:37pm...I'm waiting to see if they add on even more showings at 11pm or later to try to get some late night drop ins...

If my area is at all indicative...selling out every screen with 1 showing is a $50M weekend...every screen with 2 showings is $100M...with 2+ screens now (and more on the weekend days), this is $100M+, unless this movie is only turning out the coasts (since Tele says the West is good...and I'm on the East)...

you can sell out a lot of shows and still get an opening in the 80-90 range or less

6 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

And then there's the Wachowskis...

Wachowskis still have a long way to go before unlocking the 10 turds achievement.  7 to go to be more precise, and the only chance they make it is if they manage to pull off a couple of non-turds between those 7, which is actually how Ridley Scott keeps his direcor career.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think Gitesh just didn't update his figures. Makes no sense why DHD would just post that number if it's actually skewing lower than the earlier predictions. 

this

21 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

That's not true. Cameron did with Titanic. Cameron probably endured even more doubts and negativity. ( I know you probably dont like Titanic, but personal taste is not what we're talking about here.)

I don't mind Titanic.  And Titanic was a big risk, buts it was 1 movie whereas LOTR is based on 3 big nerd Bibles that pretty much invented modern fantasy.  Jackson had to to perfectly juggle a LOT of characters and get the look and feel of ME right which is a lot more complicated than 1 movie about a love story on a famous boat.  He was in pre-production for 4 years and it took him 2 years to shoot it.  And every studio except New Line scoffed and told him to F off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, franfar said:

I totally overpredicted this film. There had to be an effect from the consecutive DCEU stinkers.

It's more complicated than that, but I'm super surprised by these numbers, and incase it's really 34-35M:
Where's the legion of women who were supposed to come in masses to support this film?

And horror of horrors question: maybe the general audience isn't really into female superheroes after all?
cause If the most iconic superhero female can't break 100M, who will?...

It will be very interesting to see how Captain Marvel will fair at the box office.

1 minute ago, Tele Came Back said:

I don't know who has the right approximate number but it's interesting that so many automatically assume Gitesh is right. 

I'm seeing the exact opposite actually. Most folks are questioning him over why he would post "old" numbers. Turns out he never posted numbers to begin with up until 20 minutes ago. I think the number he has posted though are "old" and he's just getting to them now. 

Edited by Nova

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

There is no way Gitesh's numbers are right...there are no tickets left at my locals for the rest of the night (each showing has 5 tickets or less left)...and it's 8:37pm...I'm waiting to see if they add on even more showings at 11pm or later to try to get some late night drop ins...

If my area is at all indicative...selling out every showing with 1 screen is a $50M weekend...every showing with 2 screens is $100M...with 2+ screens now (and more on the weekend days), this is $100M+, unless this movie is only turning out the coasts (since Tele says the West is good...and I'm on the East)...

But again, you can't judge these huge releases by one theater. This had showings at 10:35, 10:40, 10:50, and 11 last night at my main one. I saw the 11 one and the theater was empty. There were 4 people in the 11 one and as of 20 minutes before show, no one in the 10:50 one. It very well could have been empty. The 10:35 show was in one of the largest theaters and was only 20% full.

I'm going to look at them again for tonight and see if anythings changed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tele Came Back said:

I don't know who has the right approximate number but it's interesting that so many automatically assume Gitesh is right. 

Just now, Nova said:

I'm seeing the exact opposite actually. Most folks are questioning him over why he would post "old" numbers. Turns out he never posted numbers to begin with up until 20 minutes ago. 

I don't know who is right, but it's interesting people are getting defensive over their preferred number currently. 

Just now, Ohana said:

It's more complicated than that, but I'm super surprised by these numbers, and incase it's really 34-35M:
Where's the legion of women who were supposed to come in masses to support this film?

And horror of horrors question: maybe the general audience isn't really into female superheroes after all?

It will be very interesting to see how Captain Marvel will fair at the box office.

Maybe they don't do fanboy rushes. We're extrapolating all this based on late afternoon projections -- there's a lot of guessing going on here by the trades and by us. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

Deadline probably uses puny Thor and The First Avenger for comparison because they are origin stories, but at this point Wonder Woman is in the same league as heavy hitters The Dark World and Winter Soldier.

The Dark World is not a heavy hitter....god I hated that movie.

5 minutes ago, Ohana said:

Wonder Woman for initial tracking the main ones where males over 25, it should've been a sign. I think it may have been unrealistic to think this would do THG/Twilight OW #s. Not to mention as I previously guessed Underpants stole some families from this too. 

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

So many?  I see far more thinking he's wrong and that Deadline is right.  Of the two though I know which is the more consistently trustworthy.  Only one more trustworthy this early is Rth

• Like 1

Gitesh is the odd one out because Deadline, THR and V all point to high 30s (THR hasn't given a Fri but say 94+ weekend....which you don't get with 35 or below Friday).