YM!

WEEKEND THREAD | Actual: Wonder Woman 58.63M, Estimates: Mummy 32.2M, Underpants 12.3M, Pirates 10.2M, ICAN 6M

51 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

nowadays, people only flock into cinema for superhero and family friendly stuff

Well, with all the bleak news about terrorist attacks lately, and ongoing wars, and stupid political decisions being made in pretty much all developed countries...

It's no surprise that people flock to movies which make them feel good, forget. :redcapes:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Oh, yeah, Pirates was NUTS. No doubt. I more so meant that Charlie essentially had better legs given Begins would've had higher OW than Charlie had it opened on a Friday and not a Wednesday and NOBODY talks about Charlie's legs.

Begins was more of a home video monster. Legs were still very good, just not phenom level like Pirates. I estimate it would have done around $61m as a Friday opener (average of 3-day and 5-day). That's a 3.36 multiplier. 

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Begins was more of a home video monster. Legs were still very good, just not phenom level like Pirates. I estimate it would have done around $61m as a Friday opener (average of 3-day and 5-day). That's a 3.36 multiplier. 

Agreed.

Also often overlooked is the leggy performance of Mr and Mrs smith (50/185) which opened the week before BB. A sequel to that circa 2007-2008 would have challenged 100m ow which was huge at the time.

Edited by excel1

3 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Hard to compare. TDK was the most anticipated film of the millennium largely due to an actors death. The film surpassing the insane expectations created a perfect storm for explosion and legs.l

Mojo's retarded admissions formula which doesn't factor in 3D prices fucks it up. Only TFA has without doubt sold more tickets than TDK in 2000s. Avatars 3D portion was massive.

Oh, yeah. I agree. I just meant that it's not a surprised to me that loved Wonder Woman movie can break out because she's a huge brand. Just like if another universally adored Bats or Supes releases, it will easily gross $400M+ DOM as well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I be glad if WW beats Batman Vs Superman

That will give the DCU heads a shake and make good movies. 

Well I don't the think the intent was ever to make a bad movie.

• Like 2

I think it's worth noting that BB's legacy grew substantially when TDK exploded and many realized how popular BB truly was. Had Ledger not died, TDK was still going to open in the $110-120 range and be a top 5 opener all time.

• Like 2

As mentioned, phenomenal drop for Wonder Woman. Its second weekend is holding its own with other comic book films that opened much larger. It could end up having one of the best 3rd weekends of all-time for a comic book film - depending how well it holds next weekend and how much Father's Day advantages it (or not).

2nd Weekends & Drops for Comic Book Movies that Opened to $70+ million 

Title (Year) — 2nd Weekend Gross (Drop from Opening Weekend)

1. Marvel’s The Avengers (2012) — 103.1 million (-50.3%)
  2. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) — 77.7 million (-59.4%)
  3. The Dark Knight (2008) — 75.2 million (-52.5%)
  4. Captain America: Civil War (2016) — 72.6 million (-59.5%)
  5. Iron Man 3 (2013) — 72.5 million (-58.4%)
  6. Spider-Man (2002) — 71.4 million (-37.8%)
  7. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) — 65.3 million (-55.5%)
  8. The Dark Knight Rises (2012) — 62.1 million (-61.4%)
  9. Wonder Woman (2017) — 58.6 million (-43.2%)
  10. Spider-Man 3 (2007) — 58.2 million (-61.5%)
  11. Deadpool (2016) — 56.5 million (-57.4%)
  12. Iron Man 2 (2010) — 52.0 million (-59.4%)
  13. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) — 51.3 million (-69.1%)
  14. Iron Man (2008) — 51.2 million (-48.1%)
  15. Spider-Man 2 (2004) — 45.2 million (-48.7%)*
  16. Suicide Squad (2016) — 43.5 million (-67.4%)
  17. Doctor Strange (2016) — 43.0 million (-49.5%)
  18. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) — 42.1 million (-55.3%)
  19. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) — 41.3 million (-56.6%)
  20. Man of Steel (2013) — 41.3 million (-64.6%)**
  21. X2: X-Men United (2003) — 40.0 million (-53.2%)
  22. Logan (2017) — 38.1 million (-56.9%)
  23. Thor: The Dark World (2013) — 36.6 million (-57.3%)
  24. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014) — 35.5 million (-61.2%)
  25. X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) — 34.0 million (-66.9%)^
  26. X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014) — 32.6 million (-64.2%)^
  27. X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009) — 26.4 million (-69.0%)

*Opened on a Wednesday

**Opened on Father’s Day Weekend

^Opened on Memorial Day Weekend

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 12

2 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Agreed.

Also often overlooked is the leggy performance of Mr and Mrs smith (50/185) which opened the week before BB. A sequel to that circa 2007-2008 would have challenged 100m ow which was huge at the time.

I'm pretty sure the most wasted sequel potential from that period is Mean Girls 2. Had one arrived in 2006-2007 and Lohan not gone off the deep end, it would've pulled a Pitch Perfect 2.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, YourMother said:

If WW, GV2, and Logan are examples, Spidey, Thor and JL will make some nice cash. There's a realistic possibility every CBM besides Logan and LB (and TGC and Valerian) does $300M+ domestic.

Thor's either been sub-$200mil or barely crossed it. I don't see it doing all that different with the third, especially since the MCU audience isn't really growing.

Spidey also wouldn't be able to cross it without Sony renting RDJ. Hos presence in the movie is pretty much the only reason it'll get over $300mil.

JL should cross $300 mil easily even without WW doing spectacularly right now. They're just so damn consistent with their numbers.

American Assassin is gonna be rated R, a red-band trailer arrives this week :jeb!:

http://digitalcinema.bydeluxe.com/site/dlxportal/docs/TrailMix_by_Deluxe-_WK_24_US.pdf

Other news:

-New Detroit trailer

-Full trailer for Home Again

-First trailer for Marshall

-First trailer for All Saints

-First trailer for Flatliners

-Half to Death (now renamed Happy Death Day) has its trailer debut on Wednesday

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

American Assassin is gonna be rated R, a red-band trailer arrives this week :jeb!:

http://digitalcinema.bydeluxe.com/site/dlxportal/docs/TrailMix_by_Deluxe-_WK_24_US.pdf

Other news:

-New Detroit trailer

-Full trailer for Home Again

-First trailer for Marshall

-First trailer for All Saints

-First trailer for Flatliners

-Half to Death (now renamed Happy Death Day) has its trailer debut on Wednesday

Well, surely Transformers won't be in any trailer mixes this week!

:ohmyzod: 

56 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Well, I mean, Get Out did just break out. Split did pretty well too. And, let's wait until Dunkirk and some of the big releases from July come and go. I expect very, very nice numbers for Dunkirk and War for the Planet of the Apes. I expect a small breakout for Baby Driver.

Dunkirk and War for the Planet of the Apes better be good, they are the one too add in the diversity of summer box office

The problem with WW against GV2 is the market saturation.

In next four weekends WW is facing a strong 60M+ opener: Cars3; TF5; DM3; SM:H.

Also, in those weekends we will see 10 movies opening. Some with strong chances to be breakouts.

From 3rd to 6th weekend, GV2 had to compete against two 50M+ openers while AC and Baywatch disappointed.