YM!

WEEKEND THREAD | Actual: Wonder Woman 58.63M, Estimates: Mummy 32.2M, Underpants 12.3M, Pirates 10.2M, ICAN 6M

With that actual, Wonder Woman has grossed in its first 10 days more than what Batman Begins made in its entire intial US run (unadjusted).  Even adjusted, Wondy's first ten days have outgrossed the first ten days of Batsy's BB. Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined that to happen...ever. And just like Batman Begins overcame the lingering stench of a previous Batman film that was not overwhelmingly loved by critics, WW overcame the memory of three  DCEU films that were not adored by reviewers. Wonderful indeed! :insane:

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 12

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

You also thought Wonder Woman would go under 150M...domestic...in total...

Actually it was 65 OW 135 DOM. And can you really blame my prediction though given the quality of the last 2 previous entries in this cinematic universe?

9 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Actually it was 65 OW 135 DOM. And can you really blame my prediction though given the quality of the last 2 previous entries in this cinematic universe?

But the box office of all DCEU films (in spite of awful reviews) should have given you a hint that a total of 135 million was way too low. Not to mention that we simply have not had a single CBM movie, post-Avengers (not starring the HULK), that made that low of a number. I always imagined that the lowest WW would go was 190...in fact, I was expecting a total between 190-210, at most. 

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Actually, it was 65 OW 135 DOM. And can you really blame my prediction though given the quality of the last 2 previous entries in this cinematic universe?

That's sad, you really thought it would do so poorly.

okdgAGq.gif

Edited by Rey
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

With that actual, Wonder Woman has grossed in its first 10 days (even adjusted for inflation!) more than what Batman Begins made in its entire intial US run. Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined that to happen...ever. And just like Batman Begins overcame the lingering stench of a previous Batman film that was reviled by critics, WW overcame the memory of three critically hated DCEU films. Wonderful indeed! :insane:

Begins adjusts to roughly $284M DOM. Did you mean, WW and not DOM?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

I literally just said you predicted sub-150M domestic..

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I can't see it opening above WW. It just doesn't have the same kind of hype.

Gotta disagree (and we've been agreeing on a lot lately)...

Spidey has a few things going for it...

1. The actors - this has an amazing cast.  Part of WW's selling point is the perfect acting for WW and Steve Trevor...RDJ, Michael Keaton, and Tom Holland seem perfect for the parts they are given...

2. The popularity of the character - he's always in the top 10 for comics sold each month, and his 25th issue this year was #1 for March...Wonder Woman is almost always below him and GOTG is always below him...yes, comic buyers are only a small sample of the broader population, but they are also the "1st buyers" of these movies and bring the word of mouth good or bad immediately...

3. The youthfulness of the movie - different that all the other supers lately...different equals box office bonanza - see WW

4. The approachability of the movie - you need to watch no other movies, it's not a "galactic monster looking to destroy the world in a convoluted plot"...it's a simple hero taking down street level thugs in a hilarious way who gets a slightly tougher villain to beat by the end...simple plotting equals box office bonanza - see WW

5. The lightness of the movie - this will not be a dark slog - people will feel good exiting the movie in a year they desperately want their movies to make them feel good...see WW

6. The late summer legs - no supers movie coming til November...this movie will keep all the screens for a long time...keep the screens, make the big bucks...see every big BO movie ever...

I do comics and supers movies...and I do 4 quadrant ones...if this is good, and the trailers indicate it will be, I am still confident this could be the summer winner...the only thing that could ruin that is if it gets Baywatched (this is my word for the summer - although maybe it should be Mummy'ed, but that movie seems to have earned its critical trashing:)...OR if WW's run stays so unprecedented, it hits a number even I don't think it can...

YMMV, but my WW analysis has been spot on so far:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

SDCC is where we will get all announcements I think, including movies post Aquaman.

1 hour ago, Cochofles said:

So, when can we expect an actual announcement for a Wonder Woman sequel? Surely this won't be like Man of Steel, right? The way WW is being received, it would be idiotic for WB not to take advantage of the fact that they now have a brand new CBM franchise (that is actually beloved by audiences and critics, for a change).

I expect they'll announce WW2 at Comic Con but i suspect it won't be dated until next year.

• Like 1

Everyone's praising Gal Gadot, Patty Jenkins, Chris Pine, and their own moms for Wonder Woman's success, both BO and critically...

And there I am, quietly clapping for the screenwriter, Allan Heinberg, who gets so little recognition when we all know that all good movies start with a good script :whip:

So, I'm taking this short moment to praise the screenwriter. Wonder Woman was his first feature film, and I'm intrigued to see what he does next, because he definitely has talent, as this BO run proves.

Of course he didn't write it alone, but as he's the only one with actual screenplay credit on this movie (not just story), technically he did the bulk of the work.

:bravo:

edit: He's actually got next to no followers on twitters, and his posts have like 20 likes :sadben:

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Image result for i'll have what she's having gif

I'll go ahead and say there's a 0.001% chance Homecoming opens to 180m+.

Im not expecting Homecoming to go under TASM2 btw, but if the movie isn't good and opens on a mediocre level, it could go that low.

My predict is around 235 - 245m DOM for Homecoming.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Begins adjusts to roughly $284M DOM. Did you mean, WW and not DOM?

I think my phrasing was bad.

Wonder Woman's first ten days outgross Batman Begins first ten days, even when adjusted.  

Unadjusted, WW's first ten days outgross BB's entire initial run. 

I mixed two things.

• Like 5