WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 130): Cars 53.7M | Wonder Woman 41.3M | All Eyez 26.4M | Mummy 14.5M | 47 Meters 11.2M | POTC 9M | Rough Night 8M

Pixar best:

1) Finding Nemo

2) Toy STory 3

3) Toy Story 2

4) Monster Inc

5) Inside out

6) Ratatouille

7) Up

8) the Incredible

9) Wall -E 

10) Finding DOry

11) Mon-U

12) Cars

13)good Dinosaur

14) A Bug's Life

I never seen Cars 2 and Brave?? is that even a pixar film? 

• Like 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

Jordan Peele as Melvin should be nominated for a fucking Oscar.  I had NO IDEA it was him until the credits.

When I think of Jordan Peele's winning Oscar for 2017 his role in Captain Underpants wasn't what I had in mind. 

6 minutes ago, aabattery said:

On my way to see Wonder Woman again.

#PrayForRagnarokTrailer.

May Waititi be with you 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

The thing is that it's really damn hard to write believable child characters, as everyone has a different perspective on what makes a child believable.  I think having the two kids be smarter for their age is also infinitely more entertaining than having them be average 4th graders (they still retain the average sense of humor of a 4th grader though).

"Difficult" shouldn't mean we have to automatically accept a lesser effort. And I don't think it's necessarily a difference in perspective -- grown-ups (for the most part) choose to ignore most of the sweeter, simpler, more thoughtful, more "sheerly interested in how things work" aspects of childhood in favor of sarcasm, violence and reductive or simplistic platitudes. The stories that tend to get kids right are -- surprise! -- often not aimed at them directly (even though they're very much children's stories in the end). The creativity expressed in CU is creativity through the eyes of an adult pretending to be a kid, not so much the eyes of a kid themselves. 

To get this vaguely back towards Pixar, this is something they tend to do much better than most other contemporary stories (the ones aimed at younger kids, anyway).

edit: replying to @Blankments's most recent post and point #2, the movie, since I haven't read the books. I guess maybe I question the choice to make a feature out of it. And not to get moralistic or anything, but the best of children's literature (on any level) is to give kids a taste, a hint, of the adult world and some of the temptations, fears, and drawbacks of it (as examples, pick any of the better animated features from Pixar, Laika, Disney, or Gibli). The two kids in CU don't learn anything or even grow in any sort of way. They get what they want and everything kind of works out because they want it to. It's a bubble world that's remarkably self-absorbed. 

But geez, I'll move on. No need to fill the weekend thread with this any further. :lol: 

• Like 1

It bugs me that Deadline doesn't give Friday numbers for Wonder Woman or All Eyez on Me. You're projecting the weekend grosses for these films, but you don't have/aren't providing the Friday projections these are based on? How am I supposed to know if your projected multipliers are way off? #whining

@Wonder of Rth and @EmpireCity, I am craving some real Friday projections/numbers, do either of you feel like providing some hints or drive-by numbers? :worthy:

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I never seen Cars 2 and Brave?? is that even a pixar film? 

BRAVE was a text-book B film. More B than Bee Move :sparta:. Didn't mind at all watching it on the big screen once, but didn't care to watch it ever again.

CARS2 a text-book C film. Still preferable to MINONS and even PETS imo (Just as I was trying to wrap my head around how TJB could do 360+ and was pinning it on dat nostalgia effect + tech wizardy, PETS happened. It has neither and did 360 :kitschjob:).

• Like 1

Hey folks! Good to be back at BOT. I've been busy but I feel like there's a void in my life since I haven't tracked and discussed the box office of GotG2, Pirates 5 and Wonder Woman. I've found myself wondering "I wonder what the guys and girls at BOT were saying about WW's stellar 2nd weekend??". So, I felt I needed to get back in the loop here.

What are everyone's thoughts on this coming weekend? Looks like CARS 3 is going to have a bit of a soft weekend, at least by Pixar standards.

• Like 2

• Community Manager
8 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

"Difficult" shouldn't mean we have to automatically accept a lesser effort. And I don't think it's necessarily a difference in perspective -- grown-ups (for the most part) choose to ignore most of the sweeter, simpler, more thoughtful, more "sheerly interested in how things work" aspects of childhood in favor of sarcasm, violence and reductive or simplistic platitudes. The stories that tend to get kids right are -- surprise! -- often not aimed at them directly (even though they're very much children's stories in the end). The creativity expressed in CU is creativity through the eyes of an adult pretending to be a kid, not so much the eyes of a kid themselves. 

To get this vaguely back towards Pixar, this is something they tend to do much better than most other contemporary stories (the ones aimed at younger kids, anyway).

Max-where-the-wild-things-are-19468415-5

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Rough Night is a disaster for Sony it looks like.  Might finish #7 or #8 for the weekend?

I've heard some people told after "Lucy" success,  that Scarlett Johansson is a box-office  star :insane:

And we finally  to dot the i's and cross the t's with this