aabattery

A Simple Favor | Sep 21 2018 | Paul Feig thriller with Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively

2 hours ago, Nova said:

I would say more than that in total. I don't have the exact time but 

Hide contents

She had quite a bit of time in the beginning when her and Anna's characters become friends and stuff. Then when she goes missing, theres a good chunk where she's not in the movie (obviously) and to be honest she was missed, to me at least lol

There was something about her in this role that just lit up the screen. For me, the best moments were when she was in the film. Like I absolutely loved her in this role. I know she's had very few roles but this one is honestly my favorite. 

I was surprised Lively didn't have as much screen time as I was expecting but man did she most of her time on screen. As I said in the review thread, this was the role she was born to play.

Other MVP of this was national treasure Andrew Rannells. My audience completely lost it whenever

Spoiler

he saved the day by slamming his car into Lively lmao.

• Like 2

I saw this at AMC with A-List. I complained about the number of trailers before the movie and the reply I got back is that 9 trailers are scheduled for a total of 22 minutes and 36 seconds. Is that not crazy? That's why people just stay home and watch Netflix (especially with a movie like this that doesn't truly need the theater experience). The maximum number of trailers should be 5, period.

Anyway the movie was ok. Reminded me of a Tyler Perry film with white people. Even the audience reminded me of the audience with Acrimony (very toned down, of course, but there was some talking back to the screen going on). Anyway, it was a fun movie night and I recommended it to my mom. She checked it out and thought it was ok.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I was surprised Lively didn't have as much screen time as I was expecting but man did she most of her time on screen. As I said in the review thread, this was the role she was born to play.

Other MVP of this was national treasure Andrew Rannells. My audience completely lost it whenever

Reveal hidden contents

Same but I guess since she goes missing, she's prone to have less screen time lol I would actually be interested in seeing her in more roles like this one so hopefully another one comes her way.

But in general, I have to say that the whole cast was fantastic imo Like I felt everyone was cast perfectly and I feel like that's rare for a film. Usually theres someone who feels out of place but everyone in this film from the kids, to the judging parents were spot on and great. 

Spoiler

NO ONE IN MY THEATER WAS EXPECTING THAT SCENE so when it happened the whole theater burst out laughing. Especially when he threw that "you mess with one of us moms, you mess with all of us" and lively punches him in the balls lmfao 

I do want to say though 

Spoiler

I wonder how the author of the book feels knowing that they took her story and essentially turned it into a parody because I felt like this film was the equivalent of the Scary Movie series but for Gone Girl/Girl on the train type thrillers 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, divinity83 said:

I saw this at AMC with A-List. I complained about the number of trailers before the movie and the reply I got back is that 9 trailers are scheduled for a total of 22 minutes and 36 seconds. Is that not crazy? That's why people just stay home and watch Netflix (especially with a movie like this that doesn't truly need the theater experience). The maximum number of trailers should be 5, period.

Im guessing we had a similar amount of trailers because that's roughly how long it took for the movie to start for me. It is ridiculous imo but at the same time I think theaters want to show their movie goers what's coming up as a way to get them to come back in the future. But I think that many trailers for a smaller film like this is a bit much. 

23 minutes ago, divinity83 said:

Even the audience reminded me of the audience with Acrimony (very toned down, of course, but there was some talking back to the screen going on).

I feel like this happens with most female-targeted movies tbh. That's what makes them as much fun to see in theaters as fanboy-friendly movies, if not more. Unless you're @WrathOfHan, that is.

Edited by filmlover
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

What movies do you guys have in best comedy/musical at the Golden Globes? 

A Star Is Born, Mary Poppins and Crazy Rich Asians I feel like are shoe ins. Am I missing any other shoe ins? Just wondering cause it'll be interesting to see if Lionsgate and Feig try to get this nominated or not. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

A Star Is Born, Mary Poppins and Crazy Rich Asians I feel like are shoe ins. Am I missing any other shoe ins? Just wondering cause it'll be interesting to see if Lionsgate and Feig try to get this nominated or not. 

The Favourite is likely going Comedy so that's a lock. I could see BlacKkKlansman being submitted for Comedy there as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

The Favourite is likely going Comedy so that's a lock. I could see BlacKkKlansman being submitted for Comedy there as well.

Thanks for this! I don't really follow the comedy/musical cause its only for the globes and I know that at times films that aren't actual comedies get submitted there so I typically just look at best picture stuff for the Oscars lol  

57 minutes ago, Nova said:

Rumors around they are putting it in Drama.

Maybe the Cheney Mckay movie will be a comedy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nova said:

The Favourite seems destined to be in comedy. Eighth Grade and Sorry to Bother You if they get a strong enough campaign I guess.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It is a Musical though.

I will maybe sound really stupid (not seen it nor the previous iteration) but from what I have seen it does not seem to be a musical at all.

A musical have the plot advanced with the characters doing musical numbers, this look more like a movie where the protagonists are musician and sometime perform music like they would be boxing/playing sports if they were athlete during the movie. Like Whiplash. It is stretching that category to include those.

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm sure WB will put A Star is Born wherever they feel it has the strongest chances of winning. Cooper and Gaga are locked winners if they go there.

Powerful producers/director can have a word to say if they want in those decision, it is not necessarily up to them. If one is aiming at actually winning the Oscar and do not care for an X nominations, going Drama instead of a category fraud comedy can be a strategy, comedy can be perceived a bit of a kiss of death to the chance of winning by some, like Scott that did seem quite piss of to have the Martian put there by the HFPA. Edited by Barnack

The Favourite a comedy? A Star is Born in drama? The fuck. Especially the latter. I mean I’m sure A Star Is Born will win in drama but if it wants for sure the win, I’d go with comedy/musical 

Anyways I only brought it up because I wouldn’t be surprised to see Feig and company campaign for it. Not saying it’ll get it but between screening it to the BFI, the Paris premiere and allowing members of the HFP to see it back in August, it just seems to me that they may try to run a campaign for it.

34 minutes ago, Nova said:

The Favourite a comedy?

The director previous 2 were comedy so it is not surprising to me, specially with the trailers. Ferrel got in best comedy actor for the Lobster.

The favorite is a 96% RT with a 92 MC score movie at the moment, with star powers, with a director that do really well with awards and festival stuff, it could be a strong opponent to face off

38 minutes ago, Nova said:

A Star is Born in drama?

Is there any sign that it is a comedy ?