aabattery

A Simple Favor | Sep 21 2018 | Paul Feig thriller with Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively

1 hour ago, dXairdryZid said:

any chance this can get to 140 overseas to make 200?  60/140

Paul Feig is domestic heavy usually:

Worldwide (Unadjusted)

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Worldwide Domestic / % Overseas / % Year
1 Bridesmaids Uni. $288.4 $169.1 58.6% $119.3 41.4% 2011
2 Spy Fox $235.7 $110.8 47% $124.8 53% 2015
3 The Heat Fox $229.9 $159.6 69.4% $70.3 30.6% 2013
4 Ghostbusters (2016) Sony $229.1 $128.4 56% $100.8 44% 2016
5 A Simple Favor LGF $42.6 $32.4 76.1% $10.2 23.9% 2018

For a reference it started at 1.6m pound in the UK vs Ghostbusters (£4.4m opening), Spy (£2.6m), The Heat (£2.5m), and Bridesmaids (£3.5m).

Started at 1.5m in Australia vs 2.8 for Spy, 3.5 for The Heat, 4.4 for Bridesmaids.

Half of that 140m, 70m, like Sandra Bullock did with The Heat and a better than 50% share would probably be a big surprising win for them, around 45-65m should be expected.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, dXairdryZid said:

any chance this can get to 140 overseas to make 200?  60/140

I think it'll outsell titanic but not sure about avatar

OS box office is hard to guess. in most countries outside usa you may see a 5 second ad here and there or not even that as they concentrate mostly in promoting blockbusters. in usa they're very well promoted

Edited by TombRaider

FWIW, it had an excellent hold in Australia for the weekend. It made $1.5M OW and this weekend was at $1.1M (-28% drop) so it's possible it could have some decent legs in certain markets to help with its OS gross. 

Edited by Nova

1 hour ago, Dr Loomis baumer said:

I think Kemdrick was the scene stealer in this one.  Blake was great but Anna was terrific.

I loved both of them in it. 

The more I think about this movie, the more I want Hollywood to green light a buddy cop movie starring Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively in their exact characters from this movie. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

will this reach 55m? its holds arent good anymore

It was at $43M after a $6.5M third weekend which was a 35% drop for it. 

Its drops have literally been the same throughout its run lol I suppose this weekend it'll take a hit given two new big releases so its gonna lose screens but given that its had the best holds within the top 10 (besides CRA) and has had some of the higher theater averages in the top 10, it could help it versus other hold over movies. 

But to answer your question: yes it'll reach $55M

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nova said:

It was at $43M after a $6.5M third weekend which was a 35% drop for it. 

Its drops have literally been the same throughout its run lol I suppose this weekend it'll take a hit given two new big releases so its gonna lose screens but given that its had the best holds within the top 10 (besides CRA) and has had some of the higher theater averages in the top 10, it could help it versus other hold over movies. 

But to answer your question: yes it'll reach $55M

just saying cause adaline had a 6% third weekend drop and the shallows was doing 45,8m at this point

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

just saying cause adaline had a 6% third weekend drop and the shallows was doing 45,8m at this point

The Shallows had summer weekdays to help it and this has already passed the Age of Adaline's gross (which had good holds towards the end of its run) but regardless legs wise, this is performing better than both. It's most likely looking at a multiplier higher than 3.6. The Age of Adaline had a 3.23 and The Shallows had a 3.28. 

It'll pass $55M. The question is whether it can leg it to $60M 

26 minutes ago, Nova said:

The Shallows had summer weekdays to help it and this has already passed the Age of Adaline's gross (which had good holds towards the end of its run) but regardless legs wise, this is performing better than both. It's most likely looking at a multiplier higher than 3.6. The Age of Adaline had a 3.23 and The Shallows had a 3.28. 

It'll pass $55M. The question is whether it can leg it to $60M 

Just read the budget is only 20?? thats really great then

I need blake to have a super smash tho, something making 100m, i dont see TRS doing well, wish she joined birds of prey, does marvel have any other new movies to be made?

Edited by TombRaider
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

Just read the budget is only 20?? thats really great then

I need blake to have a super smash tho, something making 100m, i dont see TRS doing well, wish she joined birds of prey, does marvel have any other new movies to be made?

I think Blake has been very smart with her choices in terms of movies in the last several years. She chooses low risk, high reward roles and I think it's going to benefit her in terms of what kinds of script she gets her way i.e. studios may be more likely to take a chance on her given that her movies don't outright bomb. Or the types of scripts she sees i.e. better quality scripts. 

I don't know if a smash is ever coming her way, but that's fine. Not every actor/actress is going to be in a big budget franchise or a franchise in general but as long as she keeps choosing the right projects, she'll continue to have films that are profitable like this one. And tbh if I were an actor/actress in Hollywood right now, I would rather be able to show that I can have successful mid budget films rather than star in a huge franchise simply because franchises eventually end. And if you can't show your worth outside of a franchise well then good luck. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2