CaptainJackSparrow

Jurassic World II OS Thread

So it could go to $150m opening in these markets (for talking sake).

But I just realised the other markets that have yet to open, Jurassic World made $210m from. Not including China. 

I think $1.1-1.2b is doable actually. 

2 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Will it beat JW1 WW?

No, thats impossible. It wont make 652M in the US to begin with and with reports of mixed WOM in some asian markets, more than the 228M of JW in China shoudnt be expected.

Then again, absolutely none expected the film to earn anywhere near the first films Worldwide total. Anything above 1 Billion is another giant success for Universal, especially considering the 170M budget. Depending on how the US and China go, a total of about 1,05-1,3B is now the range i think.

2 minutes ago, pepsa said:

No and nobody expected it to do so I think.

Just now, Brainbug said:

No, thats impossible. It wont make 652M in the US to begin with and with reports of mixed WOM in some asian markets, more than the 228M of JW in China shoudnt be expected.

Then again, absolutely none expected the film to earn anywhere near the first films Worldwide total. Anything above 1 Billion is another giant success for Universal, especially considering the 170M budget. Depending on how the US and China go, a total of about 1,05-1,3B is now the range i think.

Ah...I had bigger expectations...I guess it's another Star Wars situation.

Just now, Fullbuster said:

Ah...I had bigger expectations...I guess it's another Star Wars situation.

More like FF7 -> Fate of the Furious. A sequel to a global phenomenon that is still massive but cant reach its predecessor due to not beeing the kind of event again. The first JW was the first JP film in 14 years and had a killer hook (Park is Open). JWFK is "just" the next JP movie.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

More like FF7 -> Fate of the Furious. A sequel to a global phenomenon that is still massive but cant reach its predecessor due to not beeing the kind of event again. The first JW was the first JP film in 14 years and had a killer hook (Park is Open). JWFK is "just" the next JP movie.

Well that is exacly what TFA was, and than we had TLJ. Not that I think that JW2 will start a fan wars in its comunity but in drop % wise it will be close and the first one being a global phenomenon, the second being a very profitable sequel. 

Edited by pepsa

Just now, pepsa said:

Well that exacly what TFA was and than we had TLJ. Not that I think that JW2 will start a fan wars in it's comunity but in form of drop % wise and first one being a global phenomenon and the second being a very profitable sequel. 

Believe me, the JP fanbase wont be divided by anything in this movie lol. We just wanna see dinosaurs. We got that. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A2k Rex said:

that's par for the calender right? big holiday wed followed by big thu drop. considering it broke the od record i think it's aok in korea. now dat germany performance driving me a bit nuts.

Yeah.

Especially the fact that it basically stayed flat from Wednesday to Thursday (I expected an increase)

Looks like it will open with 485K adm. + 67.5k Wednesday for a extended Opening Weekend of ~550k.

So it will open with $6.66M for the Weekend (the number BOM will show) and 7.56M for the extended Weekend, so including Wednesday.

(JW opened with $11.35M) so down about 41% / 33% compared to JW.

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 1

My guess is 160M OS weekend.

A decent 2.7x from those markets will give ~430M

The big markets that left to open are most of Latin America, Australia and Japan. Think it’ll decrease in Latin America, flat/decrease in Aus, no idea about Japan. 

550M-600M range for OS-Ch

Presales in China looks to be on par with TF5, so I don’t see a big increase over JW there. But it’s China, so who knows? 

24 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I don’t think it’ll drop $750m from the previous film. 

Well you should look at it % wise, TLJ dropped 35.6% from TFA. If we use that drop on JW2 we get: 1.077B. I think it will do a bit better than this, about 1.18B seems about right. 

Edited by pepsa

12 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Nah you said 'Flop', that is not the same 😛

This movie only needs $600m to break-even.

Yeah, I'm really shocked how low the budget on this is. The CGI looked fantastic, and yet $170m (iirc) seems so cheap nowadays!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Nah you said 'Flop', that is not the same 😛

This movie only needs $600m to break-even.

I call bullshit on that and all the budget “info” that we have. Whatever makes some people happy I guess....

Edited by Thrylos 7

If this Grace Randolph troll would actually read my posts about JW's box office he/she would understand that anything above 1 Billion total for this movie would be phenomenal. People forget so easily that the first JW was expected to MAYBE reach that number if everything went right. That the sequel will (with 99% certainty) surpass that number as well makes me extremely happy as a fan.

Perspective matters. Like always.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1