CaptainJackSparrow

Jurassic World II OS Thread

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

I know this is strictly about theatrical box office but the thing about all of this that we never talk about is these films are still making money for the studios a decade down the road.  So yes, seeing it drop to under a billion for the third one looks bad to us, the casual box office office follower.  But they are using these films for box sets, TV deals, marketing, toys and a litany of other things.  I have one buddy who works for one of the studios and he is a money guy.  He always tells me that the theatrical stuff is important but a small slice of the pie.  And he says that they release these films using a ten year window.  That means they expect to make money off of them consistently for a decade.  So yes, the theatrical stuff is obviously very important but there are any other revenue streams. 

I fully believe that but isn't it so that if your movies do bad after a while the Toy sales and other stuff start to dry out as well? Just like the TF franchise? 

Not saying this movie is heading for a bad TOT, but 2-3 bad movies might do the job.

• Like 2

Just now, pepsa said:

I fully believe that but isn't it so that if your movies do bad after a while the Toy sales and other stuff start to dry out as well? Just like the TF franchise? 

Not saying this movie is heading for a bad TOT, but 2-3 bad movies might do the job.

You are right.  

But look at it this way.  If JW does 3.5 billion WW after three films, I would guess that is way more than they were anticipating.  The first one shocked the hell out of everyone.  Even the experts were predicting a 120 mill opening weekend.  So this trilogy is going to be a massive earner for Universal.  I think they will be very happy with 3.5 billion WW.  

27 minutes ago, baumer said:

You are right.  

But look at it this way.  If JW does 3.5 billion WW after three films, I would guess that is way more than they were anticipating.  The first one shocked the hell out of everyone.  Even the experts were predicting a 120 mill opening weekend.  So this trilogy is going to be a massive earner for Universal.  I think they will be very happy with 3.5 billion WW.  

And they should be, I mean if this one does 1.2B, JW did 1.67B the 3rd one wont go $650m WW low. Also I think this one came back to earth, the first one was a phenomenon, I expect with the next JW we might see some more markets go up. (Now most markets were down maybe a split like this: 10% up / 90% down) The next one will have a much better split I imagine. All in all, 3.9B (If the 3rd does 1B) for 3 movies is insane. Only ever done by Avengers and Avatar soon to follow.

EDIT: (Tnx for pointing this out @Taruseth) SW 7-8-9 Is at 3.4B, should do atleast 4.4B with 3 movies.

If JW3 gets 1.05B we would have Avengers 1-3, SW7-9 and JW1-3 over 4B. Avatar 1-3 obviously as well but hard to make a projection on how big. 

Edited by pepsa

7 minutes ago, pepsa said:

And they should be, I mean if this one does 1.2B, JW did 1.67B the 3rd one wont go $650m WW low. Also I think this one came back to earth, the first one was a phenomenon, I expect with the next JW we might see some more markets go up. (Now most markets were down maybe a split like this: 10% up / 90% down) The next one will have a much better split I imagine. All in all, 3.9B (If the 3rd does 1B) for 3 movies is insane. Only ever done by Avengers and Avatar soon to follow.

And SW VII, VIII, IX (already at 3.4B)

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 1

72.5 os-china weekend => adding ~2x the weekend gives 150 more

150 dom weekend => 235 more (385 dom)

china => 30 more

japan => 45 more (jw1 did >70 I think)

711.5 + 150 + 235 + 30 + 45 = 1171.5

1200 possible, 1150+ very likely.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2

Just now, a2k said:

106.7 os-china weekend => adding 1.8x the weekend gives 192 more

150 dom weekend => 225 more (375 dom)

china => 30 more

711.5 + 192 + 225 + 30 + 45 = 1203.5

some of the numbers I used are conservative, 1200+ looks likely.

Passing Iron Man 3 would be phenomenal.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, a2k said:

china => 30 more

106.7M OS this weekend is including China’s second weekend. 

OS-China should be around 70M or so. And considering it just opened in some new markets, 2.5x that 70M should be doable. So you’re not really that far off with the projection (just off of the wrong number lol)

Edited by Sam
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, a2k said:

china => 30 more

Isn't China part of the 106.7 OS weekend?

EDIT: Damn it Sam

Edited by Not really
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sam said:

106.7M OS this weekend is including China’s second weekend. 

OS-China should be around 70M or so. And considering it just opened in some new markets, 2.5x that 70M should be doable. So you’re not really that far off with the projection (just off of the wrong number lol)

3 minutes ago, Not really said:

Isn't China part of the 106.7 OS weekend?

EDIT: Damn it Sam

yesh, thanks guys. I tried to fudge some numbers around like universal but now ended up below 1200 :lol:

A rather rare 3D box office update for JW:FK

Overall, Imax and premium large format repped 21% of Fallen Kingdom‘s weekend or $31.5M.  Imax alone accounted for 9% of the seque’s domestic weekend with $13M at 410 auditoriums. Nine out of the top ten domestic locations featured an Imax screen.  Of “Fallen Kingdom’s” $711 million haul,$380 million came from 3D ticket sales, along with $105 million from RealD 3D. 

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM

jurassic-world-fallen-kingdom1.jpg?w=301

Universal Pictures/Amblin Entertainment’s Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom scored a hat-trick this weekend, taking the No. 1 position at the international box office for the third frame in a row. With $106.7M overseas in the session, including a sophomore weekend in China where it passed $200M, the sequel’s offshore cume is now $561.5M for $711.5M worldwide.

The J.A. Bayona-helmed return to Isla Nublar added 17 markets this frame including majors Mexico, Brazil and Australia where World Cup play had little impact. In total, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom has opened No. 1 in 67 international markets to date and stomped the franchise across $4.4B.

Openings in Brazil, Central America, Argentina, Colombia and Chile were among those that topped the previous film this weekend. In the Middle Kingdom, Fallen Kingdom held onto the top spot with a $32.4M frame for $202.6M to date.

Universal

In its 3rd outing at the international box office, Universal/Amblin’s Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom was king again, taking the No. 1 spot with $106.7M over the session. This brings the offshore total to $561.5Mand the global haul to $711.5M after a great domestic start this weekend. JWFK is expected to be another $1B grosser for the studio and to finish above $800M internationally. The movie has opened No. 1 in 67 international markets, Venezuela was the sole holdout where it bowed behind Incredibles 2. Japan is on deck in July.

In IMAX, JWFK added $4.3M overseas for a total $46M worldwide to date. Approximately 53% of all global sales for the Chris Pratt-starrer have been for 3D showings. Of that, RealD has generated $105M.

China is the top play overall at $202.6M to date with $32.4M this weekend — a relatively standard 71% drop from open. JWFK still has some runway ahead as far as major Hollywood pics go, although local titles will begin rolling out as the July blackout begins.

New this session, the biggest openers were Mexico with $12.3M at 811 locations which is in line with the previous Jurassic and is Uni’s 5th best start in the market; Brazil’s 701 dates drew $9.2M; and Australia spent $7.9M at 304 sites in Uni’s widest release ever — Saturday was up 76% from Friday.

Openings this weekend were bigger than Jurassic World in Brazil, Central America, Argentina, Colombia, Chile, Ecuador, Boliva, Paraguay, Czech Republic and Slovakia.

Behind China, Korea is the top hub at $43.27M, followed by the UK ($41.8M), France ($19.5M) and Germany ($18.74M). Strong holds were seen in the latter (-41%) as well as Austria (-26%), Netherlands (-25%), Egypt (+35%) and Turkey (-39%).

The Top 10 is rounded out by Spain ($18.23M), Taiwan ($17.7M), Russia ($17.25M), India ($17.2M) and Malaysia ($$11.77M).

Edited by titanic2187