MikeQ

Wednesday Numbers (June 21) -- Transformers: $15.66M; Wonder Woman: $3.85M; Cars 3: 4.34M

16 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Considering summer weekdays are kicking in even more now and 3D/additional screens are starting to go away at a lot of theaters, that is probably the best case scenario.

I tried doing a "best case scenario" last week-end with Wonder Woman too

My scenario failed as soon as Friday numbers came in

Turns out there was an ever better case scenario I didn't prepare for :qotd:

5 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

I wouldn't be totally set on those Wed/Thur numbers. I mentioned in the other thread with the Tuesday numbers that Wonder Woman's drop was typical given some comparisons:

Increases on Tuesday post-Father’s Day

Captain America: Civil War: +9.2%

X-Men: Apocalypse: +15.1%

Avengers: Age of Ultron: +19.9%

X-Men: Days of Future Past: +20.2%

Clearly, the Tuesday increases were muted. Well, looking at those same films, they went on to have what appear to be muted Wednesday drops as well:

Wednesday Drops post-Father's Day

Captain America: Civil War: -14.8%

X-Men: Apocalypse: -21.7%

Avengers: Age of Ultron: -18.9%

X-Men: Days of Future Past: -16.7%

So, I think you could be exactly right with Wonder Woman dropping 25% on Wednesday, but I guess I wouldn't call it a foregone conclusion, given that Wonder Woman's Tuesday increase was "only" 13%.

Peace,

Mike

There is TF5, I think 3,5-4 for WW today is ok

Edited by Wonder89
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Because the conversation will migrate over here, this is what I'm thinking COULD happen for several films this week/weekend:

WW:

4M Wednesday (-25%)

3.8M Thursday (-5%)

6.5M Friday (+70%)

10.1M Saturday (+55%)

7.6M Sunday (-25%)

24.2M Weekend, 42% drop

Considering summer weekdays are kicking in even more now and 3D/additional screens are starting to go away at a lot of theaters, that is probably the best case scenario. Here's what I think will happen (for the weekend; I'm pretty set on those Wed/Thu numbers):

6.3M Friday (+65%)

9.3M Saturday (+48%)

6.9M Sunday (-26%)

22.5M Weekend, 45% drop

(Note I'm being generous on the Friday increase so I don't get flamed; remove about 1M from the weekend and that's where I'm at)

Cars:

4.8M Wednesday (-30%)

4.6M Thursday (-5%)

7.1M Friday (+55%)

9.2M Saturday (+30%)

7.2M Sunday (-22%)

23.5M Weekend, 56% drop

So yeah, Cars and WW are gonna be close this weekend.

There is no Friday openers this weekend which could help the Friday increases go up. #JustSaying

Just now, tribefan695 said:

I suspect Tele isn't going to be pushing the "sunshine and rainbows" mantra so much these next few days

To be honest, is anyone actually shocked this is underperforming so much (especially when it looked to offer literally nothing that we hadn't already seen before whatsoever)? Other than like two members, I guess. 

• Like 2

I think it actually didnt have enough advertising. Good or bad they should have been cramming it down the throats because they knew they were gonna be crucified by critics. Im a little shocked the true wed was 10 million because i thought WORST case scenario it came in around the first movies take. Boy was my pea brain wrong.

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To be honest, is anyone actually shocked this is underperforming so much (especially when it looked to offer literally nothing that we hadn't already seen before whatsoever)? Other than like two members, I guess. 

Expectations were for it to hit to come in around Dead Men's 4-day holiday weekend over five days, which itself would be quite an underperformance. Now it may end up missing Pirates' 3 day OW; historically, such a fall isn't uncommon for a franchise, but it is still pretty surreal to see it happen when the second film made $200M in five days.

Edited by Biggestgeekever
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Expectations were for it to hit to come in around Dead Men's 4-day holiday weekend over five days, which itself would be quite an underperformance. Now it may end up missing Pirates' 3 day OW; historically, such a fall isn't uncommon for a franchise, but it is still pretty surreal to see it happen when the second film made $200M in five days.

I just feel like the poor quality of the sequels was bound to catch up to the grosses at some point. Looks like the time has come.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

About $250m in 2017 dollars accounting for much larger IMAX screen count, much larger PLF count, and 3D in general (didn't exist for TF2). 

14 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Anyone think the tacked on feminist angle alienated some of the male audience?

Where exactly it looked like a "feminist movie"? Having a strong female equals to feminism? I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to think that a Michael Bay movie would work as a feminism propaganda. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I just feel like the poor quality of the sequels was bound to catch up to the grosses at some point. Looks like the time has come.

Whats incredible to me is how much that quality declined, especially with the 3rd one. I saw the first one 3 times in theaters and still think its a great popcorn flick but the sequels, ughhhh.

• Like 2