MikeQ

Wednesday Numbers (June 21) -- Transformers: $15.66M; Wonder Woman: $3.85M; Cars 3: 4.34M

7 minutes ago, Cragoholica said:

What would be break even for TF5? 650?

There were reports that Spectre's break even point was about 650 and this is similarly expensive so I'd guess that's about right.  

I think under GotG2 is a near guarantee, and under 800 is more likely than not.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Why would you say that?  A Father's Day drop doesn't mean much.  It fell 50% in its third weekend.  Lets see how it does this weekend before proclaiming anything about legs.

I think a lot of people jumped the gun and assumed a 140-150 total and it's already past that, so...

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, baumer said:

Why would you say that?  A Father's Day drop doesn't mean much.  It fell 50% in its third weekend.  Lets see how it does this weekend before proclaiming anything about legs.

agreed but since it looks to barely lose theaters this weekend so it might hold on good again

48 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

They should get Chinese companies to help pay for it though. Hollywood only gets a 25% royalty on their releases in China. Force them to help cover the insane expense of producing this thing in the first place. 

They probably already do co-financed T5 by a good amount:

Production Companies

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/paramount-shanghai-film-group-huahua-media-gianopulos-china-slate-1202400276/

Paramount Pictures has revived its $1 billion slate deal with two Chinese media companies

The studio’s new Chairman and CEO Jim Gianopulos, who took over the studio in March, traveled to Beijing last week to try and resurrect the deal with Shanghai Film Group and Huahua Media.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

They probably already do co-financed T5 by a good amount:

Production Companies

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/paramount-shanghai-film-group-huahua-media-gianopulos-china-slate-1202400276/

Paramount Pictures has revived its $1 billion slate deal with two Chinese media companies

The studio’s new Chairman and CEO Jim Gianopulos, who took over the studio in March, traveled to Beijing last week to try and resurrect the deal with Shanghai Film Group and Huahua Media.

Yeah, from what I understand TF4 was already co-financed/co-produced by China due to one of their companies backing it and a large portion being set in China which allowed Paramount to take more of the BO gross.

30 minutes ago, baumer said:

Everybody s**** on the franchise and claims they hate the movies and yet somehow if it does 800 or 850 million dollars that's bad LOL. Think about that for a minute before you say something weird.

yeah I think the decline of the franchise is more just tiredness and lack of novelty rather than hate.  Probably the only way to bring grosses up again is take a long break like the Jurassic Park franchise did

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Spidey will do well but not as crazy as some think I believe. Something like 270m

starting to think Apes and Dunkirk will disappoint

Atomic Blonde will do decent

Valerian and Emoji will bomb

Superhero summer. Early buzz for Spidey already seems pretty damn good. Folks are hungry for another hit. Wonder Woman is making bank but not bleeding auds dry. Still liking Spidey to break out big.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I would say Paramount's next effort to try and win the domestic audience back is to bring Shia and Megan Fox back but...nah, that's never gonna happen.

They could bring back Rosie Huntington-Whitley... provided it's the MMFR version, and not the TF3 version.

7 minutes ago, MattW said:

There were reports that Spectre's break even point was about 650 and this is similarly expensive so I'd guess that's about right.  

I think under GotG2 is a near guarantee, and under 800 is more likely than not.

From Sony point of view they estimated Bond 24 break even point at 524.5 million WW

136.5 domestic / 388 intl, for 215.51 million in rental.

But they were a theatrical distributor only (with not that good of a deal), MGM break even point did seem to be significantly lower (estimated 33 million profit for them already at that point). It could be a very misleading comparable too, Spectre did less than 10% of it's BO in the China market and they must have really good and really long post theatrical life.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Telemachos said:

I think a lot of people jumped the gun and assumed a 140-150 total and it's already past that, so...

Well, one week of a good drop doesn't mean it's having good legs though, especially when that was Father's Day weekend.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Summer weekdays are "saving it".  Cause you know, they never figured on strong weekday numbers...in the summer....when kids are out of school.  :sadben:

• Like 1

TF5 is going to be a flop to some of you guys despite it probably being one of the highest grossing movies of the whole year. It's "only" going to make $850-900M. The horror.

What a disaster. 

• Like 8

Looking at overseas number, this can go as low as $650m. Even if this does $800, paramount would go ahead with bumblebee but not next sequel of main film.

Well mark said he will not return for nezt movie, bay says same. So, they can actually easily decrease the budget and get one out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Webslinger said:

It's kind of astonishing that The Last Knight may be on track to make less in its first day - plus previews - than Revenge of the Fallen did from midnight showings alone eight years ago. And lo, the mighty shall fall, indeed.

These were legit midnight showings btw, not the 8-10pm crap they have today :).