grim22

June 23-25 Weekend Thread | TF5 45M, Cars 3 24.0, Wonder Woman 24.9 (10th highest 4th weekend of all time and biggest 4th weekend of 2017)

47M boxoffice delights me. Fun flick and it's always great to see something out of nowhere do well. 

So WW's 400M hopes dashed or not?

TF and POTC have such similar trajectory, it's scary. First movie did 300M, second went up to 400M then third fell back to 300M then they changed some cast members and fourth went down to 200M and now the fifth one won't hit 200M.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

47M boxoffice delights me. Fun flick and it's always great to see something out of nowhere do well. 

TF and POTC have such similar trajectory, it's scary. First movie did 300M, second went up to 400M then third fell back to 300M then they changed some cast members and fourth went down to 200M and now the fifth one won't hit 200M.

Said the same a few days ago, but atleast POTC increased in china. So it has more room to expand. Btw even there ww trajectory is quite the same.

• Like 1

The Top 20 WW with China and the top 20 WW without China tell a different story now.

I still think Mojo should divide the box office by

US

OS sans China

China

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

They also collapsed during the same summer.

Were both based on something debatably trivial like toys or theme park rides.

Both had a lead who became controversial eventually.

Both made over one billion exactly twice.

Probably some other stuff too, lol.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Said the same a few days ago, but atleast POTC increased in china. So it has more room to expand. Btw even there ww trajectory is quite the same.

Oh, wow! Twin franchises. ;)

@grey ghost Great list! :bravo: I especially like "both had a lead who became controversial eventually". Damn, Shia. WTF happened there? From Spielberg's protege to...eh.:(

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

They also collapsed during the same summer.

Were both based on something debatably trivial like toys or theme park rides.

Both had a lead who became controversial eventually.

Both made over one billion exactly twice.

Probably some other stuff too, lol.

Both franchises relied on ILM, when the company was the king of visual effects.

Davy Jones and the Fish people were just incredible in 2006, they still look terrific.

Same for the Transformers a year later in 2007, both landmarks in visual effects history.

Transformers lost the VFX Oscar to the ridiculous Coca Cola_Bear commercial with Nicole Kidman ...

:ohmyzod:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, movieboner said:

I don't know why Paramount would make such an awful film to tarnish the goodwill of the franchise. TF5 is going to sweep the Razzies year.

I think the goodwill ran out after the second movie.

34 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Both franchises relied on ILM, when the company was the king of visual effects.

Davy Jones and the Fish people were just incredible in 2006, they still look terrific.

Same for the Transformers a year later in 2007, both landmarks in visual effects history.

Transformers lost the VFX Oscar to the ridiculous Coca Cola_Bear commercial with Nicole Kidman ...

:ohmyzod:

Lol took me a minute to remember what film that was.... having just rewatched T1 I was reminded of how impressive it's visuals were. 

48 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

I was thinking about the WW 4th Weekend over Fant4stic OW Club, but I guess that was a different user. Sorry about that.

Np :) That club is gonna be so close. I went Out on it by 0.1m.

Wondy has given us a series of nice clubs : over SM1, 2nd weekend over BVS 2nd weekend, 3rd weekend over MOS 2nd weekend, 4th weekend over F4 ow

Hopefully the streak continues next weekend too!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Np :) That club is gonna be so close. I went Out on it by 0.1m.

Wondy has given us a series of nice clubs : over SM1, 2nd weekend over BVS 2nd weekend, 3rd weekend over MOS 2nd weekend, 4th weekend over F4 ow

Hopefully the streak continues next weekend too!

I have a fifth weekend club over Catwoman OW ($16.72M) but the mods Locked it.

40 minutes ago, cookie said:

I think the goodwill ran out after the second movie.

Yet the 3rd and 4th made a $1.1b+ WW.....

Transformers fall off for the 5th though might be 45% WW.  Far harsher than Pirates 5 which will be around 25%

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Had hoped that Cars 3 would Crack 10m but oh well closer to the -55 than not it would appear. 

Otherwise strong increase for T5, saving some face with the weekend numbers. 

Yeah I will agree it has saved face.

Close to 70 though disappointing by franchise standards, is in line with latest tracking.

After Wed and Thu even missing 60 was on the table. Both THR and Variety reported so.

The holds have been good. 20% drop on Sunday will give it 68.5 5-day and maybe 140-150 dom.

7 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I have a fifth weekend club over Catwoman OW ($16.72M) but the mods Locked it.

What was the reason for locking? I would be in on that btw :)

2 hours ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Amd fast 7 and fast 8 beat them without talking about china once 

Precisely.

The FF franchise is inherently bigger than TF in China. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Yet the 3rd and 4th made a $1.1b+ WW.....

Transformers fall off for the 5th though might be 45% WW.  Far harsher than Pirates 5 which will be around 25%

$600M WW seems to be a pretty big low ball for Transformers. Also, I think that China is skewing things here.

Let's say $450M for T5 outside of China, and $580M for Pirates 5 outside of China ($750M WW).

Age of Extinction made about $785M outside of China. That would be a 43% drop for T5.

On Stranger Tides made around 975M outside of China. That would be a 41% drop for P5.

Transformers has a steeper drop, but not by that much.  Pirates comes off so much better worldwide because the Chinese Box Office was much smaller in 2011 than it was in 2014, giving it more room to grow. 2017 in China isn't that much higher than 2015, so it's one year of great growths vs four. 

Edited by kswiston
  • Like 2