Eric the Fall Guy

Wednesday Numbers: Baby Driver $5.7M, TF5 3,25M (-43%), Cars 3 2.8M, WW 2.77M

3 hours ago, Baerrt said:

That seems to be the thing with Wright's films or at least the assumption as to why they've never broken out huge in that his protagonists are either not conventionally likeable or in the hiring of Cera and potentially Elgort his choice of leading men aren't convincing or naturally capable enough to headline what are, lower budgets notwithstanding, the kind of summer blockbusters that made stars of the charismatic likes of Tom Cruise and Michael J Fox 30 years ago.

Welcome!

To the extent that this is a "problem" (I didn't much care for the character but that's just my opinion), I'm not sure how much of Elgort's fault. He really committed to the role, it's just that there's not a whole lot there. His character is essentially defined by gimmicks that don't really pay off in meaningful ways. But you're right that in this role at least he didn't have the sheer charisma to wipe away any issues with character development.

• Like 2

If someone had told me six months ago there would be $100M separating the final grosses of Boss Baby and Alien: Covenant, I would have thought it was possible. Of course, I would have thought Covenant would be the higher grossing film of the two. What a weird box office year it has been as I don't think anyone would have predicted that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JennaJ said:

Will be interesting to see if Spider-Man has any substantial impact on WW's late legs.

I don't think it will.  It will hit it in the first weekend but it should recover nicely after that.

This news is a day old, but still relevant

Gitesh Pandya‏ @GiteshPandya

Following

More

Intl total for #WonderWoman climbs to $343.6M thru TUE putting global at $668.7M. Shd cross $700M by SUN. Japan still to come in AUG.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Ahhhhh!  I hated Scott Pilgrim b/c of the lead...now you're also saying Baby Driver's lead equally sucks:(...is he at least not really annoying?  I could almost handle wallpaper vs nails on the chalkboard...

Oh no he's not that bad no one is as bad as Michael Cera. It's just a better movie generally, I totally admire the craft of Scott Pilgrim but I don't really jibe with the whole endeavor for reasons.

5 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

So, yeah, I essentially echoed these sentiments almost verbatim after seeing it save James. She coasts well enough on grace and beauty. And, honestly, maximizes what she's given on paper. But, Eglort... Just didn't buy him in this movie in any way in just about every scene he's in. Didn't buy the emotional beats - any of them - either. Still, the movie has a TON of shit going for it. And, I think we're in the minority in disapproval wholesale of all things Elgort in this flick. Though, no one seems to be singing his praises either. I literally posted the same regarding youngish leads like Egerton, Cohen, Reynor... Hell, even someone like Will Poulter. Even when mute, Eglort still managed to effectively zap me out of this movie.

I respect your opinion as much as anyone here on movies, so that's really good to see I'm not crazy :lol: Though I will admit I never saw Sing Street so my experience with Reynor is Transformers, so super bad. And we're about one month away from my rant about how little boy Will Poulter ruined Detroit. He woulda been pretty okay for this role, though.

7 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

One could edit this into a review for Valerian

@That One Guy why u stan for such boring leads doe

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Early reactions report back that Delevingne is great and DeHaan is pretty good too :)

I'll believe it when I see it. DeHaan is a good character actor but Deleveingne is probably my least favorite actor in major Hollywood films right now. One of the most vapid, empty performers I've ever had the displeasure of seeing on film. But I'm going in with an open mind and hope to surprised :) 

• Like 2