Eric the Fall Guy

Wednesday Numbers: Baby Driver $5.7M, TF5 3,25M (-43%), Cars 3 2.8M, WW 2.77M

Just now, baumer said:

And BD is massively front loaded.  

as pretty much expected which is why some of us were trying to keep the expectations in check from the preview # :P

but again, BD could still have a great weekend run so this isn't the end of the movie or anything either.  Just the normal rollercoaster of the extreme side and the tempered sides going at it :P 

• Like 3

Just now, grim22 said:

5.7M means Baby Driver was more frontloaded to previews compared to Entourage. Dafuq.

The Entourage movie opened in early June. It's unlikely Baby Driver falls 60%+ today like that movie did on its second day.

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

The Entourage movie opened in early June. It's unlikely Baby Driver falls 60%+ today like that movie did on its second day.

But that's kind of irrelevant.  He's just making a valid comparison.

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

That is from cinemascore which polls 5 frickking theaters. Cannot extrapolate overall. fandango survey said 66% of ticket buyers have seen previous wright movies. 

That's Comscore/Posttrak, not CinemaScore.

And remember: Just because they've seen a Wright film doesn't mean it is their prime reason for buying a ticket.

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

But that's kind of irrelevant.  He's just making a valid comparison.

The first part though. Colleges with Summer A semester would be in session in early June as opposed to this week. Small difference, but at least some impact. Also things have changed a lot in 2 years preview wise. They're certainly not getting smaller 

3 hours ago, The Fast and the Furiosa said:

The first part though. Colleges with Summer A semester would be in session in early June as opposed to this week. Small difference, but at least some impact. Also things have changed a lot in 2 years preview wise. They're certainly not getting smaller 

But the point he's making is that there was an obvious rush factor to see it.  

• Like 1

Could be a combination of the Wright fans rushing out, and the fact that the film is skewing young (52% under 25), to make for a more frontloaded opening day. It's nearly July, so we're almost to peak "out-of-school" period, which likely contributes at least somewhat to the ability to rush out on preview night too. 

Peace,

Mike

• Like 5

3 hours ago, AStarWarsFan said:

Interested to see how much DM3 makes this weekend, tbh.

What are you guys predicting?

I think some of us, including me and @CJohn are predicting over 100 million.

Others are going with 90ish.

• Like 1

So yeah Baby Driver was frontloaded. Not too shocking of a development. Now it's up to word of mouth to take over.

Think Baby Driver hurt Transformers but Transformers is probably not getting good word of mouth anyway.

• Like 2

Yeah the T5 number is a bit lower than I was expecting guess the loss of PLFs hurt it worse than expected. 

3.6 true Wednesday which means probably around a 2.8-2.9 Thursday for around a 50% dip with previews on the generous side for Baby Driver. Can't hit 20m weekend with those figures. 

10 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think some of us, including me and @CJohn are predicting over 100 million.

Others are going with 90ish.

Don't you dare not include me in the over $100M club. 

Ive been riding that train since since well since last week but I got on just in time! 

• Like 3

TF5 will be hurt a bit on Thursday/Friday as well because of DM3 taking 3D screens. Almost none of the other releases are playing in any 3D screens anymore. Honestly won't be surprised with WW 5th weekend over TF5 2nd weekend. Will be a close race between them.

• Like 3

Funny to see some of you blasting Scott Pilgrim's lead when I actually loved it myself. His mannerisms reminded me a lot of myself back then, I really could relate and now every time I watch it I think of myself as a teenager and this nostalgia factor just made that movie even more enjoyable to me these days.

Oh well, expecting great things from Baby Driver whenever I get the chance to see it(August? September? Who knows).

• Like 2