Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

3 hours ago, aabattery said:

Not exactly a no-name. Star Wars came out after American Graffiti :ph34r:

Well, he wasn't a no name but he was no bigger than Lord and Miller or any other number of one or two hit directors.  And SW budget was pretty small at first.  It escalated and the production almost got shut down.  They were furious with Lucas at one point.  

12 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

People bitch about not getting original blockbusters

People bitch when they actually dish out cash to adapt a little known property.

I don't understand

Hear, hear! Goofy to bitch when something original comes along with a big budget. It's not our money invested in it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Dugan muttering as the umpire turns and walks away..."Anyone ever tell you that you look like a penis with that little hat on..."
Upmpire "You're outta here!"

And of course...the classic:  THERE'S NO CRYING....THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, baumer said:

Well, I guess we'll see.  I just don't see the logic in using DWP as a basis.

dwp not really a basis. was the only fri opener that weekend you pointed out that's why used it. else haven't been using it.

my basis is cars3 which dropped 7%. add to that softer sat due to CD and made it 10% drop.

edit: pets dropped 4% and was not a sequel.

Edited by a2knet

11 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

It's all about target audiences.

Spider-Man - 13-25

WFTPOTA - 25-50

Dunkirk - 30+

Valerian - 13-25

Atomic Blonde - 18-35

Emoji - under 13

Emoji has no competition, Valerian will have plenty of room between SM:H by the time it opens, Dunkirk will have a wider age gap than WFTPOTA, and Atomic Blonde will probably not have that much overlap with Dunkirk's audience.  They can all coexist.

I will watch all of them......except emoji.....make them happy

21 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

It's all about target audiences.

Spider-Man - 13-25

WFTPOTA - 25-50

Dunkirk - 30+

Valerian - 13-25

Atomic Blonde - 18-35

Emoji - under 13

Emoji has no competition, Valerian will have plenty of room between SM:H by the time it opens, Dunkirk will have a wider age gap than WFTPOTA, and Atomic Blonde will probably not have that much overlap with Dunkirk's audience.  They can all coexist.

Different genres too.

SMH - family superhero

Apes - dark, apocalyptic sci fi epic

Dunkirk - Nolan's historical drama

Valerian - colorful, trippy space opera

Atomic Blonde - adult, action spy thriller

Emoji - goofy kids animation

Something for everyone just like March.

Also it's mostly high quality stuff.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Imagine if Star Wars came out today:

"Fucking that much money on a no name director and an original sci-fi flick?  BOMB INCOMING!"

$11 million? Man you young "enfants terrible" bitch about micro-budget films now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

$11 million? Man you young "enfants terrible" bitch about micro-budget films now.

Wasn't $11M like really expensive for a movie back then though?  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by That One Guy

44 minutes ago, YourMother said:

That's what I was thinking too. Rabbit will do $105M-$140M unless by some miracle it gets extraordinary reviews but even then opening the week before Black Panther might be a bad idea. However this puts Incredibles 2 in a good position since Peter Rabbit is the only animated family film that could do $100M+ before it opens and the family market would be extremely barren.

$140m might be a stretch, $75-100m seems more realistic 

39 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Paddington seems like a good comp for Peter Rabbit.

Hybrids haven't really made a dent recently . its opening on the same day as Fifty Shades and Maze Runner as well

• Like 1