Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Wasn't $11M like really expensive for a movie back then though?  Correct me if I'm wrong.

But you're talking about it being made today. The exact same movie, today.

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So Baby Driver will almost hit 30 m for the 5-day.

TOMATO LAW FOREVER!!!

Baby Driver will outgross Baywatch. #TLF

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Wasn't $11M like really expensive for a movie back then though?  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, budget comparisons:

Star Wars (1977): $11 Million

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977): $20 Million

So just over half the budget of a Spielberg drama with less special effect work

Edited by 4815162342

Baby Driver :ohmygod: 

lmao @ Cars. It'll be gone at most theaters by the time Dunkirk and Valerian (not in IMAX) are out.

Good expansions for The Beguiled and The Big Sick, though neither increased quite as much as I thought they would. The Beguiled better fucking hit my area next week.

18 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So Baby Driver will almost hit 30 m for the 5-day.

TOMATO LAW FOREVER!!!

tomorrow it will have another huge jump and become more and more impressive!!! 

drop just 10% against SMH

drop just 30% against war apes

eventually hit 10x multiplier and gross more than $250m!! and play well into january 2018 as it nominated for best ori screenplay and best picture!!!

I'm sucking my dick hard.....

DM3 is performing fine for the fourth film in a franchise - $80 million/$270 million seems likely since there's minimal competition for kids. BD is outperforming my expectations at a $27 million 5-day. Should end up with $70-90 million DOM, bigger than any other Wright film. TF5 is just waiting until SM:H and Apes 3 send it out of theaters - $140 million DOM is the ceiling at this point.

Wonder Woman continues to hold well. $375-390 million DOM is a welcome surprise for this summer. If it has a sub-50% drop against Spidey, $390-400 million DOM is a possibility. The House is another casualty in this summer's failing comedies. Girls Trip and Hitman's Bodyguard might become hugely successful as a result.

Cars 3 plummeted as expected, but summer weekdays should help it get to $140-150 million DOM. 47 Meters Down has become a sleeper hit as it heads to a $40-45 million finish.  Surprised at POTC5 holding on for so long - $170-175 million DOM didn't seem like a possibility after the muted OW.

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

$140m might be a stretch, $75-100m seems more realistic 

Hybrids haven't really made a dent recently . its opening on the same day as Fifty Shades and Maze Runner as well

This does have the best chance to make $100M out of all the animated movies January to May which bodes well for Incredibles 2.

25 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

An 11m budget from 1979 adjusted for inflation would be about a 37m budget today.  Now I don't think they, on average, spent as much money on films in the 70s as they do now, but still it's not even close to spending whatever they're spending on Valerian.

However, films like Cleopatra and Superman adjusted over 200m budget, so it's not like massive budget films never happened.

• Like 1

At the same point of release(taking into account DHD's numbers for the weekend),the difference between WW and Guarsians is at ~10M.WW is already ahead when it comes to daily cumes but we should see how Spidey will affect her in order to see if it will be ahead of Guardians in DOM total at the same point.Incredible to say the least.

But DM3 underperforming should counter some of that Spidey effect.Also i don't think there is a big audience overlap between WW/Apes and WW/Dunkirk so that may help to push her just over Guardians 2.I still think that  Guardians wll finish slighly above WW though.

Edited by TheDarkKnightOfSteel

3 hours ago, wildphantom said:

All this talk about Valerian, but isn't the real story this weekend the absolute collapse of The Last Knight? I mean wow. $150 million looks over. 

REALLy? I had declared TF5 to gross under 150M domestic wayyyy before the opening night. Next one will do worse no matter how good. 

2 minutes ago, BenedictL11 said:

@EmpireCity, I'm hoping BD is closer to RTH's numbers than Deadline's numbers. Any guesses?

RTH and EmpireCity are the sources that Deadline gets their numbers from. The numbers that RTH and Empire City give are typically the actual numbers whereas the numbers that Deadline and other trades use are typically just rough estimates based on the sources i.e. RTH and EmpireCity.

Its rare for either one of them to be off the mark but remember we are all human and mistakes do happen. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rman823 said:

How am I just now finding out Elizabeth Debicki, Ethan Hawke, and Joh Goodman are all in Valerian? From the marketing I figured DeHaan, Delevingne, Owen, and Rihanna were the only known actors.

Because one isn't remotely recognizable, one is a voice performance, and the other

a glorified cameo?

• Like 1

Just now, Nova said:

RTH and EmpireCity are the sources that Deadline gets their numbers from. The numbers that RTH and Empire City give are typically the actual numbers whereas the numbers that Deadline and other trades use are typically just rough estimates based on the sources i.e. RTH and EmpireCity.

Its rare for either one of them to be off the mark but remember we are all human and mistakes do happen. 

It's crazy that deadline this week was off from RTH. But I do agree that mistakes happen. Thanks for the post. I just want BD to get the highest number possible since it was such an awesome movie.