Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Since DM3 predicts are all over the place, here's a chance to put your predictor hat on. One gold account up for grabs to whoever comes closest on the weekend number. Just quote this post with your predict and the closest person wins it on Monday.

$89,260,000

Edited by Captain H
  • Like 1

How is Baby Driver not breaking out? 

Where was it tracking at before the weekend began and where is it going to end up? Pretty sure it was looking at $20M for the 5-day. And after its Wednesday opening day number came in, so many of you were quick to be like "ha it's front loaded!" 

Now it's looking to make $28M for the 5-day and suddenly it's doing what it's supposed to do? 

Weird how the descriptions of performances for certain films change depending on the narrative posters want to use. 

Just now, ZeeSoh said:

I can see about cars yes but that PoTC number is confusing to me. The Mummy lost more than 40% theatres this weekend which is far more than PoTC and all this week its been lower than pirates with lower PTA. So why did Mummy increase nearly 50% as opposed to only 17% for Pirates?

The screens where it was making money kept it on and others moved it out which is why the PTAs are now almost equal. There is only so much screen space available when the biggest screen count of all time releases.

Because I'm desperate for The Beguiled to hit my area next weekend, I took a look at what Nocturnal Animals grossed before it went wide (which did come to my theater). It's pretty fucking insane how great Manchester (which didn't come) was performing:

1 1 Moana BV $18,533,804 -34.4% 3,875 - $4,783 $144,700,397 - 3
2 N Office Christmas Party Par. $16,890,204 - 3,210 - $5,262 $16,890,204 $45 1
3 2 Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them WB $10,421,251 -42.5% 3,626 -362 $2,874 $198,947,154 $180 4
4 3 Arrival Par. $5,587,109 -23.1% 3,115 +200 $1,794 $81,438,817 $47 5
5 5 Doctor Strange BV $4,535,827 -32.1% 2,763 -172 $1,642 $222,267,273 $165 6
6 4 Allied Par. $3,955,705 -43.7% 3,018 -142 $1,311 $35,589,157 $85 3
7 11 Manchester by the Sea RAtt. $3,172,924 +39.7% 366 +210 $8,669 $8,343,125 - 4
8 16 Nocturnal Animals Focus $3,161,381 +351.5% 1,262 +1,135 $2,505 $6,187,509 - 4
9 6 Trolls Fox $3,020,165 -35.6% 2,786 -370 $1,084 $145,400,169 $125 6
10 7 Hacksaw Ridge LGF $2,288,401 -31.5% 2,277 -217 $1,005 $60,850,849 -

It was 7th in only 366 theaters.

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Since DM3 predicts are all over the place, here's a chance to put your predictor hat on. One gold account up for grabs to whoever comes closest on the weekend number. Just quote this post with your predict and the closest person wins it on Monday.

$84,360,000

Also, at this point the DM franchise basically just targets kids (DM1 had more adult humor than the sequels/spinoffs) but there is no denying that is a rock solid franchise.  As Pixar has lost its image of being the gold standard a series like this really took advantage of it.

11 minutes ago, 75live said:

exactly, nothing great or bad, it's just there.  But that's not a bad thing.  Just shows it wasn't going to break out even with some law going around :P 

I feel like me and other fellow Edgar Wright fans are looking at different numbers. The numbers are fine, nobody should be embarrassed but these are not stellar numbers. It very well might have stellar legs but the opening is fine/good but it's not amazing. And it's not that I'm unimpressed with anything under a hundred million because I considered Get Out and Split's opening weekends to be great.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, grim22 said:

$82,765,981

Edited by YourMother

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

$88,100,000

9 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I feel like me and other fellow Edgar Wright fans are looking at different numbers. The numbers are fine, nobody should be embarrassed but these are not stellar numbers. It very well might have stellar legs but the opening is fine/good but it's not amazing. And it's not that I'm unimpressed with anything under a hundred million because I considered Get Out and Split's opening weekends to be great.

exactly my take, but getting attacked by people when you don't slurp a film is the norm around here.  I'm used to it :P   Sadly, they are complaining and no one is even saying anything bad about the film or the money it's making. Or not to be happy with what it has been doing.  It's just semantics that they want everything to be over the top :P 

Edited by 75live
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

$80.4M

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

$82,900,000

12 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Edited by John Marston

12 minutes ago, grim22 said:

13 minutes ago, grim22 said:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, grim22 said:

86.2M

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 75live said:

exactly my take, but getting attacked by people when you don't slurp a film is the norm around here.  I'm used to it :P   Sadly, they are complaining and no one is even saying anything bad about the film or the money it's making.  It's just semantics that they want everything to be over the top :P 

Some are talking about Baby Driver like it's a mini Jurassic World opening weekend or something. I know we're desperate for breakouts but come on. Yes the numbers are good, yes it's over performing expectations but no it isn't some phenomenon.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I'm not trying to be an ass nor am I being negative when I say this but what other Edgar Wright films have had a box office performance similar to Baby Driver's right now? Sure it's early on but the movie is going to be Wright's best film box office wise in less than a week. 

Its like some Edgar Wright fans think because his films have become really popular then that means his films have always had box office success. His films typically fall flat on their faces at the box office. 

Baby Driver is going to be his first outright box office hit especially in North America.