CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

20 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

So, it seems Sony spent 140 million with marketing for Homecoming...

http://screencrush.com/spider-man-homecoming-merchandise/

So, if the production budget is said to be 175 million + 140 million spent for marketing, we would get 315 million. That seems expensive.

I don't think you are understanding that article correctly.  

• Like 9

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

I don't think you are understanding that article correctly.  

Yeah, reading the article and the original Deadline article it links to it's about it's about the value of merchandising promotional tie ins not the marketing budget

http://deadline.com/2017/07/spider-man-homecoming-global-promotion-biggest-ever-franchise-media-ad-spend-1202125535/

Sony’s Spider-Man: Homecoming has racked up more than $140M in media value in a global promotional campaign that spans 30 brands. That’s the most lucrative ever for a Spider-Man title and it’s on par dollar-wise with the global pushes of Sony’s 007 movies Skyfall and Spectre. 

• Like 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Yeah, reading the article and the original Deadline article it links to it's about it's about the value of merchandising promotional tie ins not the marketing budget

http://deadline.com/2017/07/spider-man-homecoming-global-promotion-biggest-ever-franchise-media-ad-spend-1202125535/

Correct.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Blankments said:

BTW, superhero movies/comic book movies this year ranked:

1. Logan

2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

3. Wonder Woman

4. Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie

5. The LEGO Batman Movie

6. Spider-Man: Homecoming

And with Valerian, Kingsman, Thor, and Justice League coming out, that gives us an even ten this year. Wow.

11 you forgot Ghost in The Shell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Panda said:

Rank the Best Fantasy Franchises

1. Pokemon

2. Game of Thrones

3. Middle Earth

4. The Legend of Zelda

5. Oz

6. Harry Potter

7. The Dark Tower

8. The Witcher

9. The Chronicles of Narnia

10. Warcraft

Final Fantasy would be somewhere on my list if it hadn't screwed up so much in the past decade. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

What's incredible is that a second /third rate superhero brand like Guardians is even on an even plane, it will make more WW than Wonder but not Spidey, with top tier brands like Wonder Woman and Spidey DOM.

It's easy to forget now that GotG was a huge unknown property just a couple of years ago.   Now it's in the conversation with Spidey and WW?   ...And it's actually worth bragging about when a movie makes more?   Never would have predicted that.

5 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

How does Deadpool and Logan prove they'll get Fantastic Four right? Fox hates the Fantastic Four property and doesn't understand it at all.

I don't count Deadpool really.   That one succeeded mostly because Fox didn't care about it and let the creative people do what they wanted.   Now that they care, I'm really worried about DP2.  (the director is already gone)

5 hours ago, Nova said:

I'm sorry but Fox gets waaaay too much flack for the Fantastic Four debacle. People are quick to point that movie out and talk about how Fox doesn't know what it's doing but then ignore that Days of Future Past, Deadpool and Logan have all come from that studio in the last five years. And if you ask some folks....those three movies are pretty up there in terms of where they stand against other comic book films. 

In my opinion even if Disney took over Fantastic Four, I just don't think it's a property that the GA is going to fawn over. Unlike Spider-man, the characters aren't beloved so i don't think a reboot of Fantastic Four would work whether it was released by Fox or by Disney. It would have to be something the consider way down the line or have the characters be shown in bits and pieces. No one is asking for another Fantastic Four movie. 

A studio has to create love for certain things.   GotG being a prime example.    FF started out having the 6th highest OW of that year so it had potential.   Fox is the reason people stopped caring about FF and they are why no one is asking for more FF.   Fox proved they can't do FF so giving Marvel a shot at it is worth a try.   We are seeing this weekend what happens when Marvel takes over a failed franchise.

Edited by Harpospoke
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

So, if the production budget is said to be 175 million + 140 million spent for marketing, we would get 315 million. That seems expensive.

No. This article is very poorly written. Basically the $140m is the value of all those tie-in promotions not the actual amount of money Sony spent on it.

i don't even know why this guy mentioned merchandise. It's like someone read the deadline article with no understanding of what it meant. Seriously it's quite bad.

45 minutes ago, The Panda said:

It's weird how the best comic book films this year had the worst villains of them (WW and Logan).

Logan's especially sucked, it brought the movie down from a near A+ to about an A, nearly A-

Logan wasn't really about the villains though.  Its about Xavier, Logan, and Laura.  I think its a testament to how great the film is that its considered 1 of the top 2 CBMs in the last 20 years without an uber villain.

• Like 2

Just walked out of SMH.

It doesn't deserve a 94% on RT. :sadben:

It deserves 100%

Yeah it was made by a comittee.

A committee of comic book nerds who love the character.

And they used a checklist.

A checklist of everything that makes the character special and reasonate with lifelong fans.

Which is why it's the most genuine, definitive and essential Spider-man movie I've ever had the pleasure to witness by a country mile.

Easily a top 3 MCU movie and top 10 all time SH movie. 

Committee blah blah...formula blah blah... Marvel simply does what's needed to do these characters justice. Planning is not a crime, it's how you get from point A to point B. Thanks, Marvel. Watching my ideal Spider-man movie was on my bucket list and you knocked out of the park.

Excelsior, true believers.

• Like 13

33 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

http://deadline.com/2014/04/amazing-spider-man-2-box-office-international-launch-716150/

ASM2’s production budget is said to be around $255M, with about $180M to $190M spent on marketing. 

I LOVE MY X-MEN - THE MARVEL FRANCHISE THAT STARTED IT ALL

X-Men: Days of Futures Past - 98.0%

Logan - 97.5%

X2: X-Men United - 97.0%

X-Men: Apocalypse - 96.0%

X-Men - 95.0%

X-Men: First Class - 95.0%

The Wolverine - 95.0%

X-Men: The Last Stand - 91.0%

X-Men Origins: Wolverine - 89.0%

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Just walked out of SMH.

It deserves 100%

A checklist of everything that makes the character special and reasonate with lifelong fans.

Which is why it's the most genuine, definitive and essential Spider-man movie I've ever had the pleasure to witness by a country mile.

Committee blah blah...formula blah blah... Marvel simply does what's needed to do these characters justice. Planning is not a crime, it's how you get from point A to point B. Thanks, Marvel. Watching my ideal Spider-man movie was on my bucket list and you knocked out of the park.

Oh god. Sounds awful

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Just walked out of SMH.

It deserves 100%

Well said!! I couldn't agree with you more about this.  :bravo:

And this is why Spidey is gonna make all the money 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Minions had about $500m value in marketing/ promotional tie ins.

Yeah. Good god, Minions was insane.

There were probably aboriginals in the Australian desert who didn't have eletricty or plumbing and were like "ENOUGH WITH THE MINION TIE INS ALREADY! Every single frigging rabbit I catch has a little yellow guy tattooed to its ass and the nearest Regal is 850 miles away."

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 4