WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

I'm of the mindset that Spidey is both frontloaded and not getting that stellar OMG word of mouth people claim that it is getting. Lets face it, if Wonder Woman had the exact same RT and cinema score and fell 59-61% after opening weekend nobody would be claiming that it had stellar word of mouth. 

• Like 11

Just now, Johnny Tran said:

No,  I didn't think it would act like WW.  I felt it would be starting from a much higher place.  The IP itself is MASSIVE.  It's probably first or maybe second to Batman.  Even if there is some fatigue,  lets say that's part of it...  there's still something going on here and I think @baumer is probably right.   It's just not as "amazing" as critics/fanboys made it out to be. 

It's got a direct family competitor (biggest of summer) in DM3 out one week before and a big direct adult competitor (best of summer non-super blockbuster) out one week after...dog days of August may be when we see if this does what GOTG 2 did once June hit or if it goes away...

Northern VA AMC in mall

Direct comparison to yesterday (7/14) in the same theaters and times from 115pm to 1055pm:

(Digital - 299seat - $13.09 to $14.59)

1:15pm - 106 vs 44
4:25pm - 185 vs 59
7:40pm - 246 vs 232
10:55pm - 143 vs 117

(RealD - 299seat - $17.09 to $18.49)

2:20pm - 69 vs 25
5:30pm - 108 vs 63
8:45pm - 218 vs 225
11:55 - not checked

(Dolby Premium - 262 seat - $19.09 to $20.49)

3:20pm - 174 vs 60
6:35pm - 204 vs 185
9:50pm - 208 vs 142

Totals from 1:15pm to 10:55pm
7/14 = $18,099.77
7/15 = $30,086.68 (66% jump)

Not at all surprised about Apes Saturday number and if this theater is a trend, then the Saturday number should rise further...

Theater also sold $2825.57 in tickets from 10am to 1pm today (7/15), but I'm not including that since I don't have yesterday's numbers though today is certainly way above.

I missed numbers on today's 9am show and will miss the 11:55 and 1am showings that haven't happened yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, baumer said:

Maybe Spider-man isn't under performing at all.  Maybe there was just that much of a rush factor to it.  

And don't shoot me for saying this but it's also possible the WOM isn't THAT GREAT.  I know plenty of people here that didn't care for it.  It's not going to be the WOM monster than many thought it would be.  

12bingo-anim.gif

Personally I think the public is burned out on the character because Sony/Marvel (whoever you want to blame here) can't get this character out of his diaper stage. He was starting to become his own person when they dumped Raimi/Tobey. Then they rebooted the franchise and we had to sit through the whole discovery AGAIN. Garfield only lasts one extra film and here we are again baby-sitting an even younger Parker who now can't even invent his own outfit. The character has been around for 15 years but he's still wet behind the ears! That's a big problem here. They may not have told THE origin story this time, but it's still playing like an origin plot line. The public is bored because Spider-man remains stuck on daycare mode. 

• Like 4

Just now, baumer said:

Maybe Spider-man isn't under performing at all.  Maybe there was just that much of a rush factor to it.  

And don't shoot me for saying this but it's also possible the WOM isn't THAT GREAT.  I know plenty of people here that didn't care for it.  It's not going to be the WOM monster than many thought it would be.  

BjCkl.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I'm going to wait for the 3rd weekend before deeming it...anything in North America. It could not recover for all we know. 

It starts with a disadvantage next weekend. Screens which are making 10-15% of its weekend numbers will just stop playing it thanks to Dunkirk. So any drop will be magnified by that extra percentage.

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

It starts with a disadvantage next weekend. Screens which are making 10-15% of its weekend numbers will just stop playing it thanks to Dunkirk. So any drop will be magnified by that extra percentage.

That's not good.