WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

6 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Agreed. But Apes defeating humans, even when using far inferior technology? It just looked so stupid. Since Apes are intelligent in these movies, at least have them use equal tech to that of men. 

Look, even if you violently disagree with my claims, I am willing to listen to your counter-arguments, but this type of juvenile reaction probably indicates a lack of seriousness on your part. 

Oh, you misunderstood me. What I meant was that non-Anglophone audiences, have difficulty in comprehending the subtlety of English-language films, not subtlety in general. Of course, the Europeans, Japanese, Russians or South Americans can and do make quality and intelligent films. 

In my opinion, there's a very obvious agenda. I mean, standard left-liberal talking points are repeated verbatim in many of today's Hollywood movies. Also, standard left-liberal fantasies are reproduced on the big screen in motion pictures with massive budgets. 

I am sure that schools in Queens, NY are ethnically diverse, but does the movie reflect those demographics faithfully? I am quite unaware of the demographics of that part of the USA, but the casting in almost all Hollywood films nowadays, looks much more artificially and strategically designed, rather than an effort at a faithful representation of real-world demographics. I can go into detail regarding this point if you want. But allow me to give one very obvious example from Hollywood in general. In the US (and this has been the case for more than a decade now) Latinos have outgrown blacks as the number 1 minority in terms of % of the total population. Is this demographic reality faithfully reflected in Hollywood movies? Not at all! As for SPH itself, is the movie merely attempting at reproducing an accurate reflection of Queens demographics and group dynamics? Or is it strategically picking and choosing each role, line of dialogue and plot point carefully so as to present recent demographic developments in a very positive light? I reckon the latter. 

No ideologist perceives himself as an ideologist. For a Marxist, the class-struggle is the most self-evident of truths and the locus of history, for a fascist, the struggle of nations for supremacy and the survival of the fittest is the great lesson of history, for the libertarian, individualism, selfishness and the free market are as natural as wind and rain. For the left-liberal, multiculturalism is an end-in-itself and the inevitable result of historical progress and so on and so on. No ideologue perceives his own ideology as well as his own propaganda  for what they are, even though they would readily accuse their opponents of doing exactly that all the time. 

I don't think multiculturalism is an extreme ideology though.

They're basically saying we should appreciate everyone and all cultures.

What's so terrible about that?

If a kid from India, Japan, Egypt or Nigeria walks into your kid's classroom what's more reasonable? For the class to applaud and ask questions or boo and bully the kid telling them to go back to their country?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

People refer to SJW's like it's a bad thing. 

They usually stand up for the right thing. 

SJWs tend to attack anything they perceive as Sexist / homophobic or racist, even when it's not. This is what pisses people off. People don't like to be told they're horrible sexists cause they watch slasher movies or because they don't think the new Ghostbusters looks very good.

1 minute ago, Boxofficerules said:

SJWs tend to attack anything they perceive as Sexist / homophobic or racist, even when it's not. This is what pisses people off. People don't like to be told they're horrible sexists cause they watch slasher movies or because they don't think the new Ghostbusters looks very good.

Look at who's president.

The people who tried to stop mainstream racism were right.

When you normalize racism/sexism/homophobia it takes the world backwards in many ways.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Gustavo said:

I agree, this is like the ninth ape movie, and the third in a short period of time

The first one worked really well as a standalone movie, I don't know why they made a sequel at all

I don't think they come in short period of time, the lord of the ring, hUnger game, HP , were all just 1 years + apart, I dont think 3 years apart between each entry for Apes is considered short, in opposite of that, I think 3 years apart from last entry could be too long for nowadays, there were so many option of franchise now in marketplace, making people easily forget things despite having good will, Many people likes Dawn but they are just simply forget them. It's like," I know apes movie are awesome, but who cares?'

To be honest, apes franchise doesn't being impactful in pop-culture like CBM movie,SW, LOTR or HP, which could keep audience interested or hard-core fans be enthusiastic;

Why are they making sequel? It's mean for trilogy! They want to make money out of their would-be great sequel, and Dawn proved that, War again proved that vision. To me, apes is the greatest trilogy since LOTR. The difference would be they are largely ignored, commercially or Oscarly.

My understanding would be audience just don't want a dark/serious drama, their view on movie-experience were solely meant for making fun out of it. We're in the era where a movie will only impressed us when it left us laughing instead of making our brain be spinning. 

I hate to use word of "overrated" or "underrated", but I must say, War Apes is underappreciated......

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

aw yes baby. it took 100 pages but we've finally reached the "spider-man had a bad drop because white genocide" posts.

Just remember that the Raimi movies are OFFENSIVE

• Like 1

The second weekend drop for Spidey isn't great but it's not unheard of either.  It looks to drop about 60% for the weekend which is pretty close to what Civil War (59.5%), IM3 (58.4%) and Age of Ultron did (59.4%)  Sure it's about a % higher but the one thing these films have in common is that there was a huge rush factor to them.  I'm not defending Spidey, hell I didn't even care for it that much, but the 60% drop isn't that out of the ordinary.  Now, if it drops another 50% next weekend, then perhaps it's time to panic.  But if it recovers nicely, then all this weekend proves is that there was a huge rush to see it OD and OW.  Even if it were to bottom out at 2.5X, it still reaches 292 million.  Not too bad.  Not great but not bad.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

You guys were really triggered by that word.

Yeah I said Raimi's depiction of nerds was insulting.

Big deal.

Except "nerd" itself has long been considered an insulting word. So not sure what you're getting at here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I didn't say anything about Ape's number because I didn't guess what the Saturday number was going to be one way or the other. 

Cool.  Sorry, not trying to belittle you, just an observation I made.  If you are good with numbers and predictions, you should share your thoughts more often.  We need more predictions and analysis at this site.  That's all, didn't mean to criticize you. :)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Except "nerd" itself has long been considered an insulting word. So not sure what you're getting at here.

Nerd?  Come on dude, we're all nerds at this site.....anyone who takes this stuff as seriously as we do is a nerd or a loonie.....nothing wrong with that word.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Yup, it did very well. But it was legit terrible.

and I'm in a boxoffice forum, so it doesn't matter if you think it's legit terrible. Fox certainly didn't decide not to make the sequel because of mixed critical reception. 

it's quite impressive to me since it may stay as the 2nd highest DOM grosser of Apes franchise after War's run ends. 

Edited by teardropmina