WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

It's actually a very different film from Dawn though. But yes, tonally the whole trilogy is a serious one without much of any lightheartedness. Not sure why that would suddenly turn people away if it didn't the first two times. 

It may indicate that SMH and Apes have larger overlapping in term of target audience than expected, don't forget, the generation that embrace the original SM trilogy have grow older and they are the target audience here for Apes too...

But this reasoning is weak as SMH and Apes have almost different style as former are much more fast-paced+ humour while latter was a serious action drama, it should be have enough space for both story-telling style.

The so-so number from Apes and harder than expected drop from SMH were just disappointing, I just wish to see both grosser to break $50m benchmark. If the market could cater a single $150m mega opener , why can't they accommodate two different well-made film?    

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Dawn's opening is close to $80m adjusted for inflation. So with a $58-60m opening for War, that's about 25-27% drop in admissions for opening weekend. Pretty rough. 

It's even worse when you consider how much PLF has expanded since 2014.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LuisDHern said:

Insanity= Wife asked me to take her to see WW this Sunday (for the 3rd time with me/ 4th for her overall).  I said "No woman, wait for the BluRay". lol!!!! I mean, I love the movie but come on!! 

Edit: still not interested in watching SMH. 

You don't love that poor woman! :P 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

make the next one of these a shot for shot remake of the cheston (this was a typo but i like it) flick and it'll be huge. maybe that only works for movies the millennials love, i dunno.

Won't work. Blew their load on the hackneyed references too early when they made Rise.

Edited by aabattery

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

make the next one of these a shot for shot remake of the cheston (this was a typo but i like it) flick and it'll be huge. maybe that only works for movies the millennials love, i dunno.

As long as they end it with "I love you Dr. Zaius" I'm in.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

Well if you are claiming the 3 terrible Spidey flicks in a row in a relatively short period of time did not negatively effect SM:H, you'll need to explain why SM 1 did so well when the character was in the same spot Wonder Woman is now.   There was more interest in Spidey in his 1st movie than there is for WW now.   Where did that interest go if you are going to discount the previous weak installments?

Calling ASM terrible is a stretch, you might think it is, but by most metrics it's had ok reception. 

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

Also Power Rangers opened in its final market, Japan, and its  bombing horribly. The book is now closed on that movie 

That was bad planning from the producers. Japan should have been the first place to get the movie.

Besides, it's already available on dvd/ blu-ray and it also online. So, the weak performance is no surprise. At least, it's selling really well on dvd

• Like 1

Just now, Last Man Standing said:

For me ASM 2 is far worse. ASM 1 was basically inoffensive and forgettable, outside of the leads' chemistry.

"inoffensive", "forgettable" and i would throw in "bland", "dull". these are for me the worst sins a movie can commit! at least provoke a reaction! at least the second one is going for stuff (too much stuff and it doesn't get to any of it but still) except "please forget about the raimi movies".

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Last Man Standing said:

For me ASM 2 is far worse. ASM 1 was basically inoffensive and forgettable, outside of the leads' chemistry.

ASM is painfully dull on pretty much every level. TASM2 sucks as well but at least it tries to have some fun with it.