CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

Does Apes have many more territories to open in? And what dates the China release? The whole thing is looking pretty bad at the moment, doing poorly domestic and OS. Although I seem to recall Dawn taking a while to build up to the 700M it grossed.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

You didn't stay for the real pics in the credits? :lol: 

I saw a couple pictures I was busy being caught off guard by the "oh this was based on a true story?" thing to notice that.

Cool revelations like this happen when you see a movie without ever having seen a trailer and only based on reviews and wom.

5 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I've been pretty indifferent towards DM3's run, but now that it's having good holds, I want it to collapse. You can threadban me for being too negative, but DM3 is one of the most vile films I've seen this year. It's not interesting in the slightest, nor is it that cringeworthy. It feels like 2 hours despite being under 90 minutes. No movie this year, not even King Arthur (which I gave a worse rating than DM3 FWIW), left me as bored in the theater as DM3 did. It's unimaginative filmmaking that does not deserve nearly 1B WW. And don't use the "kids like it, so it's fine!" excuse on me. That promotes lazy filmmaking. Take an auteur like Wes Anderson or Charlie Kaufman. Both of these prestigious filmmakers have made animated films (the former's next one is stop motion as well) like Fantastic Mr Fox and Anomalisa to widespread acclaim. The box office returns weren't there because of weak marketing, but the former proves you can have stylized family films (the latter has puppet sex so let's not call it a family film :lol: ). Lazy filmmaking does not deserve high returns. Plain and simple.

in my opinion

I hope people take their kids to see Valerian instead, because that IS a much better movie for kids than DM3, and deserves the money over DM3 IMHO.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, GrimFandango said:

I hope people take their kids to see Valerian instead, because that IS a much better movie for kids than DM3, and deserves the money over DM3 IMHO.

Agreed. I hope the same audience who saw the fourth and arguably stale DM takes the time to see Ninjago 

21 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I saw a couple pictures I was busy being caught off guard by the "oh this was based on a true story?" thing to notice that.

Cool revelations like this happen when you see a movie without ever having seen a trailer and only based on reviews and wom.

I went in blind to 47 Meters Down save for a few stills. I watched a trailer for Big Sick months ago but forgot a lot of the footage so that was essentially blind as well. This is why I'm pumped for mother!: we have no idea what the fuck it is.

7 minutes ago, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

Yessssssssss

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Rth Homecoming said:

top playdates 23-Jul

Big gaps between top 3 locations

1-AMC Lincoln Square, NYC                                                DK

highest grossing in world with DK (#2 Imax only BO), next BFI Imax Southbank London (#1 Imax BO)

2-Arclight Hollywood                                                          DK

3-Regal Atlantic Station, Atlanta GA                                     GT

(Producer Home Town, about double #2 location and over double DK there)

4-Regal Irvine Spectrum                                                    DK

5-AMC Metreon , San Francisco                                         DK

6-AMC Citywalk, Universal City                                         DK

7-AMC Burbank,                                                             DK

8-AMC Tyson Corner, Mclean VA                                    DK

9-AMC Empire 25, NYC                                                 DK

(combined with E-walk #4)

10-CPLX Scotiabank , Toronto ON                                DK

11-AMC Mercedo, Santa Clara Ca                                 DK

12-ST Palladium , San Antonio TX                                 DK

13-AMC Kips Bay, NYC                                                   DK

14-Pac TCL Chinese, Hollywood                                      DK

15-AMC Southlake 24, Morrow GA                                  DK

if combined Ontario Palace 24 + Mills 30 be #11

How'd the Seattle Cinerama do?

42 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

oh good lordy

1. Dunkirk - A+

2. Memento - A

3. The Dark Knight - A-

4. Interstellar - A-

5. Batman Begins - A-

6. Insomnia - B+

7. The Prestige - B+

8. Inception - B

9. The Dark Knight Rises - C+

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

How'd the Seattle Cinerama do?

Just out of top 20, In Seattle Cinerama (its #2 amongst 70mm locations) then Boeing Imax and Thornton Place

Edited by Rth Homecoming
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

1. Dunkirk - A+

2. Memento - A

3. The Dark Knight - A-

4. Interstellar - A-

5. Batman Begins - A-

6. Insomnia - B+

7. The Prestige - B+

8. Inception - B

9. The Dark Knight Rises - C+

yikes

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

Canada doesn't give a crap about Girls Trip! lol

It was limited release, did have high PTA.. as expected with USa GT way over performed in Southern states under performed in West

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

So I was in LA last weekend.  I going back to LA tomorrow and back again on Friday.

Never been in LA.  So can't go back tomorrow or Friday since I need to be there once first :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1